Thread: Evans Drum Torque Key

User Info Menu

Default Evans Drum Torque Key

Who here has used the Evans Drum Torque Key? I'm curious as to what the thoughts are on this key? I have a friend who gave me one and I'm considering tuning my kit with it. He spoke highly of it, but as noted, I was just curious the thoughts on it from anyone who has used one?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Drum Torque Key

Never used one, so I want to keep an open mind. I can see it working well on good shells that are perfectly round and flat/even bearing edges. My concern would be on older, less-than-perfectly shells (like most of my kits). Just because the tension on the screw threads is all the same, that doesn't guarantee the head tension is all the same. I just use my thumb to push on the head about 1" in front of each lug. I adjust each lug until the head tension feels the same at each lug. Some lugs require more or less tension to achieve the same head tension. It's quick & works well. I can get pretty darn close that way, then tweak it by ear from there.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've never used one. Thought about it but never pulled the trigger. I have an Evans Magnetic key I liked but my Starclassic lugs don't fit it quite right.

At any rate, I think N2Bluz is spot on. I know on my kit not all lugs are perfectly tensioned to one another. I'm no pro but I think the Starclassic (older style) tom mounts are so daggone heavy that the drums sound better with a couple of the lugs a little bit looser than others in relation to how the drum hangs from the Star Cast mounts.

User Info Menu

I just finished using it. It got me pretty close to the sound/tone I like, but I had to do some fine tuning to get the exact tone I want. It did make the overall tuning process go quicker than it normally does for me.

User Info Menu

I have used one in the past and still have it but it is not always reliable. After a few times using it it started getting inaccurate. I would set it on a number and turn till it pops which works great but then I get to the 4th or 5th lug and suddenly it is turning much more than the previous ones. I would then go back to a lug it already popped on and it would turn a complete turn again before popping?

Not sure why but it did it on every drum I own so now I pretty much just use it as a key. Maybe it needs some grease or lubricant of some sort. I ended up just tuning by ear these days and never really got much out of that torque key so I cannot recommend it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I have used one in the past and still have it but it is not always reliable. After a few times using it it started getting inaccurate. I would set it on a number and turn till it pops which works great but then I get to the 4th or 5th lug and suddenly it is turning much more than the previous ones. I would then go back to a lug it already popped on and it would turn a complete turn again before popping?

Not sure why but it did it on every drum I own so now I pretty much just use it as a key. Maybe it needs some grease or lubricant of some sort. I ended up just tuning by ear these days and never really got much out of that torque key so I cannot recommend it.
    I think that's just it. These gadgets are cool and they are helpful but as you progress I think most folks just use their ears and a regular key.

I did the same thing with the Tama Tension Watch. Cool device and a great help to me when my ears weren't developed. Stopped using at after a while.

User Info Menu

I have one & use it when using supplied kits at gigs. Always gets it "Just about" so am happy with it

User Info Menu

i use it all the time to keep my drums close while always traveling. I love it.

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, what number settings are you guys using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    tend to use 8 for the resonator & 6-7 for the batter

User Info Menu

I use my Evans Torque Key for tuning up my drums when I put new heads on and for when I tune up my drums before a long rehearsal or gig it's great for quickly getting all the tension rods to ABOUT the same tension, then I go back with a standard issue hand drum key and make minor adjustments to get each tension rod at the same tension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    tend to use 8 for the resonator & 6-7 for the batter
    I'm much lower in the 3's

User Info Menu

Early on, I bought an Evans Torque Key, and it really helped me. I even bought a Drum Dial a one time. Now I just know the sound I like for my drums - granted, I don't play all styles, so don't feel the need to change tuning to fit certain styles. Knowing the sound I like, and how I want my reso to be in relation to my batter (I tune mine the same), I just use a standard drum key now. The trick me was figuring out which lug to tune when the drum was out of tune with itself. Back when I was taking lessons, my drum teacher never really taught me how to tune, but I did watch her as she tuned, and realized that she didn't tune the way I thought she would. With a little experimentation, it all came together for me. Now, a standard key is all I need.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm a key collector, over 300 to date...I think haha. But I have one. Pretty cool little device. It'll get you close but every drum is just a bit different based on the heads your using, wood type, and your own personal preference. It'll get you close, but trust your ears for the end game sound you want.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Yes I own one and used to like it but a regular one fits nicer on my key ring so it won.
    Now it's with all the stuff I've accumulated and may never use.

User Info Menu

I have reservations about this key.

If all tension rods and lugs are new and lubricated and the shells are perfectly round then its probably ok, but I'm not too confident about its accuracy on older stuff. I've noticed that even on drums that are new with lub'd rods that some turn with a light touch but there is often one troublesome rod that requires more pressure and an extra turn to get the same sound when checked with the stick.

Also, if you torque the first rod then go to the opposite side - when you tension the opposite rod the extra pressure on the first rod caused by stretching the head means it will become tighter as each successive rod is tightened. I'm probably not explaining this very well - but I think that if you use one of these keys it would probably be a better idea to go around each lug at a lower setting than you desire and gradually increase the torque by increments to avoid overtightening the head just as you would if you had to torque down a cylinder head on an engine.. If you actually do this you probably won't save any time and it would be just as quick to use a regular key and your ears.

I'm old and try to find reasons to disapprove of things. I've read several times that they do work but don't trust 'em.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I'm old and try to find reasons to disapprove of things.
    LMAO, thank you. I think I just figured out what's been wrong with me lately!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I do the key in each hand method,works for me.A lot faster.then when I get close to what I want I finish with a single key for fine tuning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I do the key in each hand method,works for me.A lot faster.then when I get close to what I want I finish with a single key for fine tuning.
    I tried that once but kept dropping the keys...Not the most coordinated, either.
    Signature here