Thread: All Praise the Sound Man

User Info Menu

Default All Praise the Sound Man

My band # 2 played a big gig last night (a convention reception.............big as in big crowd and big money) in a hotel grand ballroom.

We hired a sound man that has an outstanding reputation in our area.
    We have used him before in club gigs wherein he worked with the club system and he might bring in one or two supplemental components to make it better.

But this time we hired him for the very best he has for sound and lights.
    And let me tell you...............he came through big time.............on both.

Best sound this band has ever had............crystal clear, great separation, and not too loud............just right.............vocals were very much out front and clean.
    My drum monitor was a three-way cab with a 15, a 10 and a horn...........the cabinet stood about four feet tall and it was originally built as a side-fill monitor............but it had JBL components and WOW, it was awesome.
    It was not loud..............no punishment..............but rich beautiful sound.

We have him again at another private gig in two weeks and I'm going to find out what he is using as the bass drum mic because the old bass sounded most awesome last night.

My band is used to average to decent club systems.
    What we played through last night was sonic excellence.............impressive.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 05-13-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: All Praise the Sound Man

That sounds like a fantastic time. I really believe that you play better as a band when you hear yourselves sounding awesome. It really raises your confidence and creativity.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That sounds like a fantastic time. I really believe that you play better as a band when you hear yourselves sounding awesome. It really raises your confidence and creativity.
    Agreed..................it happened last night.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Well, it was bound to happen eventually. Right? Of course you could take a more hands on approach. Learn how to run sound for yourself instead of waiting for serendipity to drop a good soundman in your lap. I do however sincerely hope serendipity has you and i meeting and playing a gig together one day. In the meantime, good for you, you got great sound at a gig.
    Last edited by SunDog; 05-13-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Absolutely!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Glad it went well for you. Hope it goes as well for us tonight. Except for venues that provide it, we usually do sound ourselves. We have a superb PA system and we know how to use it. For tonight, however, due to certain circumstances we had to hire a sound company. From all indications, they are top notch, but, you never know till you really know right?

User Info Menu

Having great monitor mixes is like having . . . well, lots of good things. But the effect it has on band cohesion and performance is the next thing to magic. Tragically, it's just as rare.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    But this time we hired him for the very best he has for sound and lights.
    And let me tell you...............he came through big time.............on both.
    I'll just say that we weren't quite as lucky as you were. Nothing really bad, just not impressed by what we were provided.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Glad it went well for you. Hope it goes as well for us tonight. Except for venues that provide it, we usually do sound ourselves. We have a superb PA system and we know how to use it. For tonight, however, due to certain circumstances we had to hire a sound company. From all indications, they are top notch, but, you never know till you really know right?
    For our club dates, the systems are provided.
    For the private functions, we hire a sound company.
    We usually have average to good from both (never unacceptable); this most recent guy was exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Having great monitor mixes is like having . . . well, lots of good things. But the effect it has on band cohesion and performance is the next thing to magic. Tragically, it's just as rare.
    GeeDeeEmm
    Everything this guy owns is top-shelf...............impressive !

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I'll just say that we weren't quite as lucky as you were. Nothing really bad, just not impressed by what we were provided.
    Sorry to hear that pkt...............back to your own system.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

We do our own sound, 2 years ago we got a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 mixer, and a complete set of Electro Voice ELX (Live-X) speakers: 2 15" mains, 2 18" subs, and 4 powered wedges. We try to get the monitor mixes dialed in at rehearsal and then save them in the console. That way we only have to tweek slightly at the venue and dial in the house. I'd like to upgrade to the new ETX line someday.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!