Thread: My new 20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

User Info Menu

Default My new 20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

I spent a looooong time looking for a cymbal that matched a specific sound i had in my head. I spent hours on the two high fidelity online cymbal vendors with my good headphones, comparing and looking for the thing I wanted to hear. At first I though it was the Meinl Soundfusion 20" but then I discovered the K Custom Hybrid.

I'm slow to decide and I don't have a big budget, what with two kids in college, so I saved pennies and birthday money from mom, and Thursday I got this little gem.

On the online cymbal vendors, they always list the weight, in grams. As I was comparing I decided that I preferred the sound of the ones that were lighter (2390g -2430g) over the heavier one (2490g). So I emailed Zildjan to see if I could select the weight, and they said they don't do that except for the Keropes and one other line (I forget which).

I had always planned on getting them from my favorite drum shop in Cleveland (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention names so I'll just say Google drum shop, Cleveland, east side, vine street and you'll find them), and I asked them if they could specify weight and they confirmed they could not. So they ordered in a 20 and a 21, because I wanted to hear them side by side, and I bought the 20.

I didn't love it in the shop, where they have a nice little room to try stuff out, partly because the kit was set up awkwardly for me and partly because I was trying too hard, but when I took it to rehearsal later I heard exactly what I had wanted to hear, what I expected to hear. Great balance between stick sound and wash, very crashable, doesn't build unless you ask it to. Beautiful bell sound.

I've been playing it half the day. Love it.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Default Re: My new 20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Nice, I have K Hybrid crashes 15 and 17 along with a hybrid splash and love them.. Would like to add a hybrid ride and even some 15" hats I heard when the money comes available.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I had one of those rides for a while. I remember it had a solid ping and was loud as heck.

User Info Menu

Good for you. I've tried those out in stores. and listened to them on my cym dot com before. I think they are something I'd like to have too. Congrats and enjoy. There was one on craigs list and offered him 145 for it (he wanted 175) then one of my kids needed some money so you know where the money went.

User Info Menu

I love those K Hybrid cymbals. Akira Jimbo did a great job working with Zildjian to create this line. Check this out! Wow!!!!!