Thread: Zildjian L80 with eKit thoughts

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian L80 with eKit thoughts

Hi,

I've got a Yamaha 562 setup at home for quiet practice and I'm starting to really dislike the cymbals. I play it through a small powered monitor at pretty low volume and don't have issues with disturbing the rest of the house. I'm just really tired of the clack of the plastic cymbals and was thinking of putting the Zildjan L80 set on it.

I've not been able to hear these cymbals except on YouTube and I don't know if they'll be loud enough to hear with the rest of the kit through my monitor - mind you I don't play very loud through the monitor just enough to get over the noise of the pads. Does anyone know if these cymbals would be loud enough for that use?

Anyone use these with an ekit like I'm thinking or have experience with them?

I guess I could always get some good closed back headphones and keep the eCymbal noise at bay if this doesn't work but I prefer playing without the cans.

Thanks

Bob

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian L80 with eKit thoughts

All depends on how loud your monitor is. They aren't very loud but they sure do feel a lot better than the rubber pies. I used Gen16 e-cymbals for a while with my practice kit. As far as I can tell, they're the same cymbals but with pick-ups and electronics. I could wail on them and they didn't put out much volume. Keep in mind that the sound is not the same as real cymbals. Your e-kit toms will sound like real toms but the L80s won't match. That's alright if you're looking more for realistic feel than sound.

User Info Menu

thanks G. I'm thinking it may be better to go all in with the pickups and brain but its alotta dough for a secondary practice setup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bgood View Post
    thanks G. I'm thinking it may be better to go all in with the pickups and brain but its alotta dough for a secondary practice setup
    Just so you know, the sound of the Gen16s is not exactly like real cymbals either. I would put them as "passable" for a practice kit. I like the sound of the rubber cymbals going through a module much better than the Gen16s going through it's module. The big advantage is that they feel like real cymbals (because they are, but with a lot of tiny holes) without being much louder than the rubber ones. Your choice is good sound with moderate feel or moderate sound with good feel. Volume for the rest of the household will be similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Your choice is good sound with moderate feel or moderate sound with good feel. Volume for the rest of the household will be similar.
    Well put.

I use the gen16's also and love them for practice............the sounds are passable