Thread: Thinking about trying new batter heads

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about trying new batter heads

I found a place that sells single ply heads really cheap. I think they may be factory seconds but I'm not sure. I just got a couple and they seem to be decent quality. I'm a fairly heavy hitter, but these are so cheap it has me wondering if it might be worth switching from 2 ply to single ply on my batter heads. Any thoughts?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about trying new batter heads

If they're cheap, why not? If they don't hold up, you just go back to the heads you use now.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I put some pretty good sized dents when I swapped out to clear one ply stock factory reso heads as batters and I lay into the heads pretty hard when I play. One ply batter heads hold up better.

User Info Menu

If you're a heavy hitter I'd say go with either a 2 ply batter head OR a thicker 1 ply head, "standard" single ply heads are 10 mil. Evans makes G12s which are 12 mil single ply heads and they make G14s which are 14 mil single ply heads, the G12s are awesome heads and what I'd recommend they're durable and not too muffled so there's no tone from the drums.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

It's my opinion that you will see a very large difference in tone between a single and double ply head. You will likely see a more open sound with the single. Like others have said, the new heavier materials make them more durable for your heavy hitting. I'd give that a shot... You can always go back!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare