Thread: Anyone tried the new Zildjian A Avedis line?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone tried the new Zildjian A Avedis line?

I love Keropes so I have been waiting to try the A Avedis out and finally hit a few last week. I don't know what I expected but I would say I wasn't overwhelmed. Not underwhelmed either, just sort of whelmed I guess. Going back to sit down with them on a kit to really hear and feel them.

Anyone else have any experiences?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone tried the new Zildjian A Avedis line?

I expected the same quality "A" Zildjians with a new name for marketing purposes.

The ad says "re-create"................whatever that is.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Not really that impressed. The original cymbals they are trying to re-create definitely sound better to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I expected the same quality "A" Zildjians with a new name for marketing purposes.

The ad says "re-create"................whatever that is.
    They're definitely thinner that regular A's.

User Info Menu

I plan to check out an 18" thin crash in hopes of replacing my A Custom 18" crash with one. While I like the A Custom crashes, I prefer the A sound for what I do these days ... and I'm thinking that it should blend a little bit better with my 18" K thin dark crash ...

User Info Menu

well it sounds like a cymbal, not too hip on the look

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I am glad that I still own my Vintage A's with the original sound of the 70's. Probably hard to re-create that sound that drummers have loved for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pearl mcx man View Post
    i am glad that i still own my vintage a's with the original sound of the 70's. Probably hard to re-create that sound that drummers have loved for years.
    +1.

User Info Menu

So what is different about them?

I've read that Zildjian have made them slightly thinner. Is a new medium an old medium thin, medium thin an old thin etc?

Are the profiles different or something? I like the smaller logos, but if nothing has really changed other than reduced weight the 'new' claim seems hollow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I plan to check out an 18" thin crash in hopes of replacing my A Custom 18" crash with one. While I like the A Custom crashes, I prefer the A sound for what I do these days ... and I'm thinking that it should blend a little bit better with my 18" K thin dark crash ...
    Danger................

I have 16-inch medium crash "A" Zildjian that I currently do not use.
    PM me if you are interested in some sort of swap.
    (I really like my 14-inch A Custom..............is the 18 thin and brilliant-shiney?)
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Danger................

I have 16-inch medium crash "A" Zildjian that I currently do not use.
    PM me if you are interested in some sort of swap.
    (I really like my 14-inch A Custom..............is the 18 thin and brilliant-shiney?)
    Much thanks for the offer Ricardo but I already have a couple of those 16" A crashes stored away that I don't currently use. They sound great but chew up sticks ... lol

Yes, my 18" A Custom is thin and brilliant. I love the sound and feel of it but I am hearing good things about the Big A Logo Zildjian 18" thin crashes that came out a couple of years ago. I think that it would blend a little better with my current setup but I won't be sure until I hear one ...

User Info Menu

Had a chance to try a few of the new As and I was quite taken with them. To me, they sounded "crisper" than the previous models, but retain the rich "body" that we A fans love. I was thinking what a great combo the crashes would make with a 23" Sweet Ride. Would I trade my old Zildjian As for the new ones? Wouldn't hesitate. The new ones are not better, just different, and I like the difference a lot.

GeeDeeEmm

BackStreetDrums Guest

It seems to me all the cymbal makers get together in a secret meeting and come up with a 'new' plan of attack for marketing 2016.

We have the 'nostalgic look and sound of the 60's' in Sabian Vanguards, Zildjian Keropes, the "new' Avedis line, Bosphorus 20th Anniversary line...etc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BackStreetDrums View Post
    It seems to me all the cymbal makers get together in a secret meeting and come up with a 'new' plan of attack for marketing 2016.

We have the 'nostalgic look and sound of the 60's' in Sabian Vanguards, Zildjian Keropes, the "new' Avedis line, Bosphorus 20th Anniversary line...etc
    I tend to agree. If you're in the very highly competitive business of selling inert metal discs you're forced to be a creative marketer.

all the best...