Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my band is killing my desire to play drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: my band is killing my desire to play drums.

Well its a double whammy. Guitar player is the singer. This part is a short chugging part before the chorus. He stops on the 3. Then speeds up the chorus. The rest of the band can't play outside 4/4. Not even a little bit. Even when the guitar player is triple picking, I can't play triplets because it throws him off.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Well its a double whammy. Guitar player is the singer. This part is a short chugging part before the chorus. He stops on the 3. Then speeds up the chorus. The rest of the band can't play outside 4/4. Not even a little bit. Even when the guitar player is triple picking, I can't play triplets because it throws him off.

Man you have more patience than Tina Turner in 1968... if it's this frustrating and making you not enjoy drumming then it's time to find guys you can click with and have fun I would rather stay in my basement playing to the walls than get pissed off.

User Info Menu

I've already messaged one of two bands I'm going to possibly try out for.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I think every band has a member who's counting kinda sucks. And 80% of the time that member will blame the drummer. My solution when I'm told I messed up:

"Oh, sorry guys. I though you wanted to play this song RIGHT. What's that? You WERE playing it right? Okay, lets start over with this metronome so I can see exactly where I screwed up. YOU ****S."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    After 20 some odd responses.........what part of "it's time to leave" is not getting through to you?

User Info Menu

No I get it, waiting to hear back from a few bands right now.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

You have some real patience. After the second time, I would have gone full a****** BEAST mode. We both would have been playing the part with a metronome so that he would be shamed into submission. In my opinion, time keeping in any time signature, is part of being a musician. It doesn't matter if you play drums or a clarinet. There's a difference between a musician and a "guitar player". Fortunately for me, my band had a musician. He will be the bar for others to meet in the future.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    YES !

N2................

I had a jazz combo instructor in college (he was also a drummer) that told this to me on the first day in front of the entire ensemble..............

"This semester, you are the drummer for the jazz ensemble and it is your job to provide the three following components in this order of importance:

First is 'tempo'..............this is the most important and it must be consistent;
    Second is the 'cue'..............there are times during a song wherein you must cue the horn section or some other part of the band;
    Third is 'fills'.............fills are not completely necessary but are allowed and appreciated only when the tempo and the cue have been taken care of.............a fill can be a cue............but it must be proper and it must be in tempo."

I have utilized this simple instruction in all of the pop & rock bands I have been a part of and it always fits well.
    Perfect!
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Well the final straw has been pulled. Set up a time to finally re-record all the guitars for the ep. Got some extra equipment because my guitarist was a total lop. Gave him a time. That time came and went. No call, no show. Half hour later I sent him a text and said forget it. Got a response telling me he forgot we were supposed to get together. Less than an hour after the original conversation.
    Done......
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I'd check out and make them learn their mistake the hard way.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Guitarist's have trouble telling time and opening a box of Cheerios.

When you shine a flashlight in 1 ear and see somebody's trip to the Grand Canyon coming out the other side, it really is time to move on.

You need to find a guitar player (and sometimes a singer) who have a IQ higher than the ambient temperature of Alaska.

I know because I've been there and done that. Didn't want the tee shirt because they couldn't spell tee.

User Info Menu

Pretty much. This coming after having to tell him knock his crap off the last few practices, and having his potential replacement try out with him there and then telling him that guy was his replacement. And he still pulls crap like this.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal