Thread: Problem with Yamaha dtx450k snare pad

User Info Menu

Default Problem with Yamaha dtx450k snare pad

Hi Folks,
    I just turned 35 and as a gift for my birthday, since being able to play drum has always been one of my biggest desire (I love rock music) I decided to buy a Yamaha dxt450k because I've read great things about it. Once the package arrived at my flat I've carefully assembled the drum following the instruction.
    After playing 3-4 minutes the arm that hosts the snare pad and the hi-hat is turning down no matter how strength I tight the key bolt that blocks the arm to the rack. So every time I have to stop playing, loose the key-bolt, put in place the snare pad and hi-hat, tight the key-bolt again and start to play again. It is very frustrating not being able to perform for more time ...do you guys have experience with this? I'm not playing hard and I'm not hitting hard the snare pad. When I can I play very softly but some songs require a little bit of passion when you play. Any suggestion?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problem with Yamaha dtx450k snare pad

Hey Kevin, Happy Birthday and welcome to the forum. I looked and found nothing you can use as a memory lock (best solution) to prevent the hihat and snare pad from slipping down on the plastic rack bar so I came up with a possible solution for you: 2" plastic shrink wrap.

Slip a 2" piece of shrink wrap over the snare and hihat tube and use a hair dryer to heat up the wrap. It should shrink down around the tube giving you something more to "bite down on" to tighten up the clamp. The shrink wrap comes in black so it should blend into the tube without being noticed. FYI-The Yamaha tube is 1.5" in diameter.

Last edited by late8; 06-07-2016 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I have not had any problem with the Yamaha DTX 450 (great little kit by the way !) but "late8"' has given us a great solution to possible "slippage" problems with this , or any kit when "grip" becomes a problem on the racks. Never would have thought of it. Well done ! Enjoy your 450 - you will enjoy it. I'm an old fogie back into drumming after over 30 years away and every day I get a little bit better thanks to this kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Bob View Post
    I have not had any problem with the Yamaha DTX 450 (great little kit by the way !) but "late8"' has given us a great solution to possible "slippage" problems with this , or any kit when "grip" becomes a problem on the racks. Never would have thought of it. Well done ! Enjoy your 450 - you will enjoy it. I'm an old fogie back into drumming after over 30 years away and every day I get a little bit better thanks to this kit.
    Welcome the the forum Canadian Bob! Pull up a chair and stay a while. We have many here from our neighbors from up north! PearlMCXMan is one member you can get acquainted with. He's from your neck of the woods too assuming you live in Canada eh?

User Info Menu

late8 is the man for most things drums, especially on the edrums section!

When I've had this problem, what I've noticed is that I've forgotten to tighten a screen somewhere, cause in the end, they build these things to compete with real drums, so you should be able to play them that way.

You might want to consider technique, perhaps you are bashing them too much
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    late8 is the man for most things drums, especially on the edrums section!

When I've had this problem, what I've noticed is that I've forgotten to tighten a screen somewhere, cause in the end, they build these things to compete with real drums, so you should be able to play them that way.

You might want to consider technique, perhaps you are bashing them too much
    Thanks J!