Thread: If you play classic rock covers but.....

User Info Menu

Default If you play classic rock covers but.....

Back when I was playing out we played the current top 40 or what is now considered classic rock. It was ok for me but I've always loved the heavy music. So just in case any of you are in that same boat and want to be able to do a few classic rock tunes with a heavy edge, you may want to check out these Jorn Covers. This cat knows how to metal out a classic tune. I wish these were around when I was playing out.

Hotel California.
    https://youtu.be/FZbMZrNdy9U

Ride like the wind
    https://youtu.be/Or3uQG4SmWU

Running up that hill
    https://youtu.be/SR_EOSEX8U0

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you play classic rock covers but.....

Ya cool versions...i wish my guys would break down and get creative with our covers, but i don't think they have any experience being in originals bands to put their own spin on tunes. Wow a heavy version of a Kate Bush song...awesome...thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Sounds like what I was trying to do in Roxtar... they were just bar rock and I amp'd that up because I came from a Metal background.

Thanks for the sharing!

User Info Menu

Interesting.

User Info Menu

I remember wondering a few years back if a band could get big time just redoing covers.. This is pretty good, love the ride like the wind cover but Hotel California not so much.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Those were freaking awesome covers. Thanks for sharing.

Tex

User Info Menu

Speaking of covers, has anyone heard Train's cover of Zepplen II? I was totally taken by surprise by this one.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    Speaking of covers, has anyone heard Train's cover of Zepplen II? I was totally taken by surprise by this one.
    Yes, I heard them on Howard Stern's show the other day. I heard Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid. Very faithful to the original LZ while retaining some of their own sound. Not easy to do.

User Info Menu

Not a fan of the heavy Rock genre. I went through that in the '80s and '90s. BUT.....I think they did a good job. I think "Ride Like The Wind" lended itself very well to the style. I'm ALL for doing covers of whatever you want, changing the style and making them your own (as opposed to trying to duplicate it). Zep, Beatles, Elvis, Stones...they all got their start doing that very thing.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not a fan of the heavy Rock genre. I went through that in the '80s and '90s. BUT.....I think they did a good job. I think "Ride Like The Wind" lended itself very well to the style. I'm ALL for doing covers of whatever you want, changing the style and making them your own (as opposed to trying to duplicate it). Zep, Beatles, Elvis, Stones...they all got their start doing that very thing.
    This^^^^^

all the best...

User Info Menu

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I agree that I liked the Ride Like the Wind cover best. Regarding harder edged covers, let's not forget that Van Halen had two big hard rock remakes on their first two albums, You Really Got Me and You're No Good, respectively, and they REALLY made them their own.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. I agree that I liked the Ride Like the Wind cover best. Regarding harder edged covers, let's not forget that Van Halen had two big hard rock remakes on their first two albums, You Really Got Me and You're No Good, respectively, and they REALLY made them their own.
    .......and "Pretty Woman"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Back when I was playing out we played the current top 40 or what is now considered classic rock. It was ok for me but I've always loved the heavy music. So just in case any of you are in that same boat and want to be able to do a few classic rock tunes with a heavy edge, you may want to check out these Jorn Covers. This cat knows how to metal out a classic tune. I wish these were around when I was playing out.

Hotel California.
    https://youtu.be/FZbMZrNdy9U

Ride like the wind
    https://youtu.be/Or3uQG4SmWU

Running up that hill
    https://youtu.be/SR_EOSEX8U0

Voice sounds a lot like Ronnie James Dio

User Info Menu

Those were good covers. I too appreciate the "make it your own" approach but much too often, I run into guys at open jam sessions who insist on being anal about the note for note stuff which I tend to tune out when their done blabbing....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    .......and "Pretty Woman"
    True...forgot that one!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I just listened to a couple videos of a relatively local and popular band doing metal covers of various songs. (Much along the lines of the videos in this thread) They took lighter pop/rock and even a country song and tried to do them "Metallica" style.......It was pretty bad, LOL. I guess it shows that if you DO decide to make a song your own and change the style, you still need TALENT and TASTE. In fact, it maybe takes more talent, creativity and taste to do it well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Voice sounds a lot like Ronnie James Dio
    He also has a full Dio Tribute album.

User Info Menu

our bluegrass band does an up-tempo banjofied version of Pink Floyd's 'Brain Damage'.. sure it's a bit of a gimmick, but people love it

User Info Menu

I agree, when playing covers make them your own. I know it's cheesy but during the American Idol days the judges would give better remarks "when they made the cover their own". It's interesting and different. Otherwise it sounds like karaoke note for note, I rather listen to the original.

User Info Menu

Didn't Saxon do a heavy cover of "Ride Like The Wind" way back? I didn't mind that.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8