Thread: Music schools

User Info Menu

Default Music schools

I have been on the net and made enquires about the best music schools in Britain and the US. Berklee is like the top on my chat, i will like you guyz to recommend a good music school for me preferably in US or UK.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've heard very good things about
    The Collective School Of Music
    http://www.thecoll.com/
    O Bailan Todos, O No Baila Nadie

Pictures Of my Drums -- My Last.fm page

User Info Menu

Here's a couple of really useful sites for college info:

http://www.fastweb.com/

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

User Info Menu

North Texas

User Info Menu

I guess my question is what are you looking to go to a music school for? Are you looking to get a degree and be a teacher, or are you looking to just learn some music ideas and theory. IMHO if you're looking for a degree for teaching then yes any of those schools such as a Berkley would be good to attend. If you're looking to just learn more music theory, licks, and ideas, save your money for more of a music trade school such as Musicians Institute, Nashville Percussion Institute, or Los Angeles Music Academy. I have friends that went to Berkley that spent 80 grand just for a "performance" degree. Now they're out here in LA pounding the pavement just like anyone else. You don't need tens of thousands to do that. Just my opinion. Blessings........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    I guess my question is what are you looking to go to a music school for? Are you looking to get a degree and be a teacher, or are you looking to just learn some music ideas and theory. IMHO if you're looking for a degree for teaching then yes any of those schools such as a Berkley would be good to attend. If you're looking to just learn more music theory, licks, and ideas, save your money for more of a music trade school such as Musicians Institute, Nashville Percussion Institute, or Los Angeles Music Academy. I have friends that went to Berkley that spent 80 grand just for a "performance" degree. Now they're out here in LA pounding the pavement just like anyone else. You don't need tens of thousands to do that. Just my opinion. Blessings........

Our very own moderator, drummer, is a Berklee alum and makes his living as a working musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Our very own moderator, drummer, is a Berklee alum and makes his living as a working musician.
    I think you're missing my whole point. I'll say that many working musicians I know and have met haven't gone to a music school such as a Berkeley or Belmont. As we know making money in music especially while on a label is like winning the lottery. All I'm saying is that there's a decent amount of people that think once they go to a music school, they'll be in the loop and get ahead of someone that didn't go. As we know, making money in music is just as important knowing your instrument well, as it is meeting people in the industry. A lot of the time making contacts are more effective than just being really talented. I could show you many great local drummers here in LA that blow big name drummers out of the water. The difference is they don't have contacts, and YES a music school "can" help you with that. Now I'm not saying don't go to a school, I'm just saying that I've known quite a few people and have friends that have gone to music schools (spending upwards of $60,000) that are in huge debt and in the end they STILL spend countless years networking to find a gig. Take care bro. I just didn't want you to think I'm against school. I'd like to attend MI myself, I just don't have the time or money at the moment. Blessings....
    Last edited by middleman; 11-16-2007 at 11:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's a cool link on this topic.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lEh6v6KCxJs

I think if someone has the tallent and the passion, then they should pursue their dream and let the chips fall where they may. The beauty of going to a university and getting a BM or BA in music is that you also get general education that makes falling back on "plan B" a lot easyer down the road.

middleman, I do get your point. You are correct, many musicians are making it without a degree or diploma (ex. Dave Weckl, who dropped out of college; Jeff Campitelli who never went to college). There are many more music BM's pumped out every year than the industry can sustain. Private universities, conservatories, and many state schools are rediculously expensive and will land most graduates in major dept.

My view is that those students who are at the top of the heap at major music programs do have a better chance of making a living as a performer than the average music undergrad, or the average musician who never goes to college. Most college athletes don't get the opprtunity to play professional sports either, but the top elite ones do.

As far as networking goes, yeah, that's probably the most important thing a musician can do besides practicing.

User Info Menu

If your into classical music or considering a career in music education the Eastman School of Music in Rochester NY is very well respected, we have a first rate Orchestra in Rochester and many of the Orchestra members are faculty at Eastman. They have an up and coming Jazz department as well, but Berkley is probably more respected in the Jazz world. Juliard is a great school for music performance. Each of the major music schools seems to have an aspect of music they excell at and are known for. So the best school to attend will depend a lot on your goals as a musician.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

What I've learned, or think I've learned, so far is that an instumentalist looking for a music school should be focused on who is teaching his/her particular instrument more than the reputation of the school, famous alumni, facilities, location, school size, etc. As an example, there's a school in the midwest that nobody's ever heard of (can't remember the name myself) that is producing the worlds greatest trumpeters right now. They've obviously got some great staff there for brass instruction. What I haven't been able to glean yet, is who is the best drum set instructor in the country, and who is number two, three, and so on. I will say that Berklee looks to be a good place for someone who is into avant garde jazz/fusion/commercial music and small ensembles.

User Info Menu

wow, thanks a million times guyz. Actually, i am looking for a ms where i can learn music education and also percussion- thinking of having my own music institution someday and i think the best thing to study will be music education and i also want to study percussion to enhance my druming. So what school will you recommend for these fields. Thanks again

User Info Menu

Well for music education and percussion, It's tough to beat the Eastman School of Music in Rochester NY Steve Gadd is an alumnist of Eastman, Rich Thompson is currently on the Eastman Faculty he was formerly the drummer with the Count Basie Orchestra.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kord Jazz View Post
    wow, thanks a million times guyz. Actually, i am looking for a ms where i can learn music education and also percussion- thinking of having my own music institution someday and i think the best thing to study will be music education and i also want to study percussion to enhance my druming. So what school will you recommend for these fields. Thanks again

What a lot of the high school kids are doing is going on campus tours and scheduling a private lesson with the prof at the same time to get a feel for the school. I don't see why that wouldn't work for a prospective grad student as well.