Thread: price/quality?

User Info Menu

Default price/quality?

Hey,
    I am looking to purchase 3 tom mics and I also need a kick mic to complete the set. My friend has the other over heads and snare/hat etc

Just need those last 4

I was looking at the APEX DP5 basic kit that has all I need for 200 bucks (Canadian).
    Is that a step up from the DP1? and what about DP6??

What if I spend say an extra hundo or so and get a basic kit like that for about 300 or so.. will that make a night and day difference or very minimal?

Thanks..
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: price/quality?

imho invest in a good kick mic like a Audix D6 or a shure beta 52 ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    ya for kick you should get something good.. the bass drum is very important and used a lot.. want that deep pounding sound

thanks
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

might want to consider shure 57's for the toms ..great mics and can be used on just about anything

User Info Menu

I found locally a used 4 piece setup of AKG mics for $350 (from a music store not a private sale) that includes a D12 kick mic. Not sure what the tom mic models are though but from what I can see on ebay the D12 is about 500 bucks new?! to me $350 for all 4 sounds like a solid deal??

User Info Menu

Need another opinion please

Would you choose the AKG pack that I mentioned above for 350 used or a brand new Shure pgdmk4 pack for 300 bucks?

Thanks

User Info Menu

For the bass drum, the Shure B52 is awesome.
    My band has done two recent pro-sound gigs; both systems used the B52.
    And we loved it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

IMHO, I don't think you could ever go wrong using Shure mics. I exclusively use SM58 for vocals, SM57 for toms, snare and hats, Beta 52 for the bass drum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

seems like an overwhelming win for shure from here and FB

thanks all

User Info Menu

would probably choose the AKG pack over the Shure pgdmk4

User Info Menu

would probably choose the AKG pack over the Shure pgdmk4
    oh ya.. why would you say that? expand please on your choice

so I am basically down to a few options yet

1. AKG pack including the D12 mic for 350 used

2. Shure pack for 300 new

3. Apex 4 piece pack for 200 new

4. or buy the apex pack for 200 and use the 3 tom mics from it, sell the bass mic in it for whatever I can and buy a Audix D6 used for $175.

choices!!!! darn! lol

User Info Menu

A bit off topic with this question (apologies) but can anyone explain what goes into making the few microphones I have seen that cost $5,000 or $6,000? Do the ones that cost that kind of money sound that much superior to ones that run $2-300? I know that all questions of this type are completely subjective, but curious what those who have an opinion have to say. Similar question for preamps/channel strips. I'm planning on a complete recording setup for my drums sometime soon, so I'm interested for my own benefit!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

ok I ended up getting the AKG pack. it consists of 1 D112 kick mic and 4 (not 3) tom mics that retail about 250 each. Cant remember the model but I googled them and swee****er has them for 250US

For $350 Canadian I think I scored a heck of a deal!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    oh ya.. why would you say that? expand please on your choice

so I am basically down to a few options yet

1. AKG pack including the D12 mic for 350 used

2. Shure pack for 300 new

3. Apex 4 piece pack for 200 new

4. or buy the apex pack for 200 and use the 3 tom mics from it, sell the bass mic in it for whatever I can and buy a Audix D6 used for $175.

choices!!!! darn! lol
    AKG just sounds better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    ok I ended up getting the AKG pack. it consists of 1 D112 kick mic and 4 (not 3) tom mics that retail about 250 each. Cant remember the model but I googled them and swee****er has them for 250US

For $350 Canadian I think I scored a heck of a deal!!!
    Great score! I use a AKG T-170 for an overhead and it's an awesome mic.