Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm priced out of the DW9000 series stuff

User Info Menu

Default I'm priced out of the DW9000 series stuff

As I anticipate bringing home the Collectors kit soon, I've been pricing both new and used DW9000 rack tom stands and cymbal stands and I'm in sticker shock. I went online and drove down to my local music stores for a look and couldn't find anything new or used within my price range. Two new DW9000 rack tom stands will cost me $300+

I also can't get over the fact that the quick release handle for the cymbal tilter is plastic. I've read reviews that the plastic handle often breaks or gets stripped out? Anybody here who uses DW9000 stands have any issues with the plastic handles?

I've never had any matching hardware with any of my kits and it's been fine and everything works as it should but for once, I'd like maybe go for it so everything will finally match but it doesn't look like hardware is where I want to spend my scarce resources and stands look "out of reach" (pardon the pun). I think I rather invest my money and add new cymbals (K's) or a Collectors snare.

What do you guys think? DW9700 $170 ea. DW9701 $140 ea.

Looks like the DW5000 series stands have the same plastic handles too.

DW5700 $125 ea.

After careful consideration, I think I'll get 4 Gibraltar 12.7mm L-rod tom mounts ($32.00 ea.) and fly them off the cymbal stands like I do with the USA Customs. I have 4 toms to hang, 8, 10, 12, 11x14" (no floor tom) so it looks like a 2 up 2 down for the new kit.

Here's my standard set up with 12.7 tom arms bolted to the cymbal stands but I find it cumbersome to hang the toms and position the cymbal stand leg underneath it to support the weight of the tom without getting too close to dinging or scratching the kick with the leg of the cymbal stand.

Last edited by late8; 06-08-2016 at 04:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm priced out of the DW9000 series stuff

As far as addressing your concerns...yeah, DW is going to cost you but in comparison the top of the line Star cymbal stand system from TAMA is $170.00 for their best stand. I found some on an auction site for $153.00 on sale and bought 2.

As far as the plastic lever, I had several DW stands and really liked that feature. If you break it you cranked it too tight. Plus, it is flexible in that in can spin on it's shaft to give you ease of access when tightening or loosening the cymbal pivot.

Overall they are good stands (obviously DW) and very beefy but not too far out of price line with similar brands.

Go for it! You won't be happy until you do.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Rich, if you decide to go Gibraltar, given that DW now owns Gib, it's a lot more like you have an 'integrated' system. I have mixed DW and Gibraltar rack stuff, mostly DW and Gibraltar for the stuff that DW just didn't/doesn't make. I think the hardware from both these manufacturers are very well done. The only piece that I think is absolutely needed from DW, in my humble opinion, is their 9000 Series airlift snare stand. I've never seen another snare drum stand that is as solid, adjustable, and just plain NICE, as that DW stand. Very pricey, yes, but I have 2 of 'em!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

As I've said many times before (and please don't take this as an insult to your buying decisions)........IMHO, everything DW is over priced. There are many products on the market that are as good if not better at more fair prices.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 06-08-2016 at 12:05 PM.

User Info Menu

When I was in high school, my first job was working for my drum teacher when he opened his own shop. Every Saturday morning I'd have to take his Collectors kit out from the night prior and do a quick spot clean/once over.

I cannot emphasize how much this experience made me loathe DW Techloc handles. They snag on any and everything. They crack, break, and snap. I hope things have been improved since the early 2000s, but my two cents, DW hardware is needlessly heavy and aggravating.

The perception that it was top of the line stuff came about in the 80s, when it was heavier than anything else out there. It was more adjustable and hi-tech than what the market offered.

After a few of the handles snapped, he switched back to using his Yamaha hardware.

Obviously, do what will make you happy, Rich. I read on this forum a long time ago that you should buy the stuff that works best for you, regardless of brand. I still think that's some of the best advice I've read here.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

You need a loan, Rich? I know this guy named Vinny and, well.... err, ahh, never mind. I'm sure you like your legs unbroken.

Just kidding buddy.

It's a shame that DW is so overpriced. I understand their gear is high quality but holy smokes! I could never afford their products.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

yeah I'm OCD and have all DW hardware on my kit and yeah I've slowly swapped it all out to where it is now but I'm glad I did.

I also have had zero issues with the plastic handle. It never has to be He-Man tight and it does pull forward to rotate into any new position for easy use which is very handy.

User Info Menu

I own an historic hodge-podge collection of hardware because I buy what I like at the time I need it.
    I think I bought two stands at the same time once in my life.

I'm still using HD Ludwig Atlas from the 70s (3 cymbal stands)............one Gibralter stand from the 80s..................the rest is a mix of pdp, Ludwig and the last 4 or 5 additions being Tama Road Pro.

During the last 25 years, I have trashed only one Atlas stand and sold one HD Rogers cymbal boom stand..............I have also given away a nice 90s Gibralter rack with right-side extension (might not shoulda done dat !)

I can't find anything wrong with any one of my stands .
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    As far as addressing your concerns...yeah, DW is going to cost you but in comparison the top of the line Star cymbal stand system from TAMA is $170.00 for their best stand. I found some on an auction site for $153.00 on sale and bought 2.

As far as the plastic lever, I had several DW stands and really liked that feature. If you break it you cranked it too tight. Plus, it is flexible in that in can spin on it's shaft to give you ease of access when tightening or loosening the cymbal pivot.

Overall they are good stands (obviously DW) and very beefy but not too far out of price line with similar brands.

Go for it! You won't be happy until you do.
    Thanks Mark I appreciate the insight on Tama hardware. I know they make great stuff too!

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Rich, if you decide to go Gibraltar, given that DW now owns Gib, it's a lot more like you have an 'integrated' system. I have mixed DW and Gibraltar rack stuff, mostly DW and Gibraltar for the stuff that DW just didn't/doesn't make. I think the hardware from both these manufacturers are very well done. The only piece that I think is absolutely needed from DW, in my humble opinion, is their 9000 Series airlift snare stand. I've never seen another snare drum stand that is as solid, adjustable, and just plain NICE, as that DW stand. Very pricey, yes, but I have 2 of 'em!!
    Thanks for the input Curt. I looked at the Airlift tom stand as well as the Airlift throne; all very nicely engineered but wow, I don't think I could afford both. I think you're spot on about the the integration with DW/Gib hardware, I think one day it will be difficult to distinguish between both but for now, all of my Gibraltar hardware is holding up great but I think I'll spend my limited funds on some nice K's, as you recall, I was very interested in your K Hybrid set.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    As I've said many times before (and please don't take this as an insult to your buying decisions)........IMHO, everything DW is over priced. There are many products on the market that are as good if not better at more fair prices.
    I agree with you on DW pricing. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm buying a 9 year old demo Collectors kit from my local mom and pops music store with heads that have been hit by "every swinging stick" that walked into the store, I COULD NEVER DO IT.

In '08 when I first laid eyes on this kit at this store, the retail price was $7,500. I walk in nearly 9 years later, the kit is still sitting in the corner with a $3,399.98 price tag.

They wanted to get rid of it so bad, they knocked off another $1,099, OTD at $2,500. I just couldn't walk away from that deal.

New factory DW heads top and bottom including new batter and reso for the kick will run me $208 OTD. Maybe a new set of K's: 14" hats, 16" 18" crash 20" ride at $985 = grand total: $3,693.

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    When I was in high school, my first job was working for my drum teacher when he opened his own shop. Every Saturday morning I'd have to take his Collectors kit out from the night prior and do a quick spot clean/once over.

I cannot emphasize how much this experience made me loathe DW Techloc handles. They snag on any and everything. They crack, break, and snap. I hope things have been improved since the early 2000s, but my two cents, DW hardware is needlessly heavy and aggravating.

The perception that it was top of the line stuff came about in the 80s, when it was heavier than anything else out there. It was more adjustable and hi-tech than what the market offered.

After a few of the handles snapped, he switched back to using his Yamaha hardware.

Obviously, do what will make you happy, Rich. I read on this forum a long time ago that you should buy the stuff that works best for you, regardless of brand. I still think that's some of the best advice I've read here.
    Thanks Mr.B for your input and for sharing your experience with the plastic handles. I think I'm going to invest in some cymbals. I could use a nice set of K's

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    You need a loan, Rich? I know this guy named Vinny and, well.... err, ahh, never mind. I'm sure you like your legs unbroken.

Just kidding buddy.

It's a shame that DW is so overpriced. I understand their gear is high quality but holy smokes! I could never afford their products.
    Dude you and me both. That's why I think I'll stick to what I have and move on to a new set of K's or a nice Collectors snare. I think in the long run, I'll enjoy hearing more rather than looking at something nice. Some of my stands are over 15+ years old and they've held up just fine. I just wanted everything to match since I have a chance to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I'm OCD and have all DW hardware on my kit and yeah I've slowly swapped it all out to where it is now but I'm glad I did.

I also have had zero issues with the plastic handle. It never has to be He-Man tight and it does pull forward to rotate into any new position for easy use which is very handy.
    Yup, I figured your OCD won't let you getaway with mismatched anything. The stands are a heavy (sorry) investment to make and maybe the DW Heavy Duty drum rack system will be a little bit more convenient to use down the road but that in itself is retailed at $466 for just the main frame. My Gib rack doesn't look and feel as nice but $466 on another rack? Hmmm...I contemplated the idea but I need to really be wise with my $ since I don't have much to spend on this upgrade.

Last edited by late8; 06-08-2016 at 04:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I own an historic hodge-podge collection of hardware because I buy what I like at the time I need it.

I'm still using HD Ludwig Atlas from the 70s (3 cymbal stands)............one Gibralter stand from the 80s..................the rest is a mix of pdp, Ludwig and the last 4 or 5 additions being Tama Road Pro.

During the last 25 years, I have trashed only one Atlas stand and sold one HD Rogers cymbal boom stand..............I have also given away a nice 90s Gibralter rack with right-side extension (might not shoulda done dat !)

Thanks for your thoughts Ricky. I was hoping you would chime in. I'm going for some nice K's instead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm going for some nice K's instead.
    Yes................I have two K crashes and a fantastic pair of hats...........love them all.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Richie, I know the hesitation re: the DW plastic handles too well. I've stuck with DW5000 pedals all around, but the vast majority of hardware is Tama, as it's proven road tough, with years and years of taking out and putting back in a collection of stands into the traps case. I look at those handles and straightaway I have no faith in their durability.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Richie, I know the hesitation re: the DW plastic handles too well. I've stuck with DW5000 pedals all around, but the vast majority of hardware is Tama, as it's proven road tough, with years and years of taking out and putting back in a collection of stands into the traps case. I look at those handles and straightaway I have no faith in their durability.
    Thanks Michael!! I appreciate you coming to back to post your thoughts and opinions here on DC. You were dearly missed by many and as always, your dad in our thoughts! May he RIP...

User Info Menu

Yes................I have two K crashes and a fantastic pair of hats...........love them all.
    I've been looking at your set up often and I see those beautiful cymbals. I envy all who own Zildjian K's and hopefully, I'll join in too. Thanks again for your opinion. It means a lot to me!!

User Info Menu

I have a Mapex boom stand with almost identical plastic handle and design. A month after I bought it, the handle snapped off...and I take care not to over tighten things. Now, I have to carry the handle in my stick bag and pull it out every time I set up or tear down. I'm sure I could order parts and fix it, but the stand itself is extremely heavy in weight. Im just going to retire it to permanent practice duty. I'm actually looking to switch to lighter weight stands for strictly gig duty.

I guess I'm just not picky when it comes to brand names. I have 2 Sound Percussion boom stands that I paid like $59 for the pair. They look good, they're stable and have lasted 2-1/2yrs of light/moderate gig duty with no issues. There's no "playability" involved like a hi-hat stand, throne or pedal. Their only job is to hold my cymbals where I place them, and they do that job very well. If I ever spend big bucks on cymbal stands, it would be to obtain a noticeable benefit like ultra light weight or super adjustability. Otherwise, a $59 stand works as well in my application as a $159 stand.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 06-08-2016 at 05:20 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a Mapex boom stand with almost identical plastic handle and design. A month after I bought it, the handle snapped off...and I take care not to over tighten things. Now, I have to carry the handle in my stick bag and pull it out every time I set up or tear down. I'm sure I could order parts and fix it, but the stand itself is extremely heavy in weight. Im just going to retire it to permanent practice duty. I'm actually looking to switch to lighter weight stands for strictly gig duty.
    Thanks Brian for your input too! I didn't realize Mapex uses the same plastic handle set up. I remember in a previous post you mentioned that if you were to by any DW stands, it would be the DW6000 flat leg series instead of the standard tripod set up. I too looked into the DW6000 series stands because it reminds me of the vintage stands I fondly remember back in the day but again, I have stands that will work so why buy twice? I really want everything to match but that's just not going to happen.

User Info Menu

I'm cheap, I have a pearl rack with sound percussion booms
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Same. When I buy a piece of hardware, it's usually what's functionally and economically expedient at the time. I couldn't care less about brand names. It's the drums that make the music. The stands are simply support staff!

all the best...

User Info Menu

On my kit I have Pearl, Yamaha, PDP, Gibraltar and Sonor hardware. Cymbal arms, tom arms, rack parts, pedals. Never had an issue with any of it. If I were a rich man I'd have a DW kit but I'm not so I have a PDP kit.

DW great stuff, wwwaaaayyyyy over priced.

User Info Menu

I've been looking at your set up often and I see those beautiful cymbals. I envy all who own Zildjian K's and hopefully, I'll join in too. Thanks again for your opinion. It means a lot to me!!
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 17 inch Dark K thin crash.
    It will be a replacement for a cymbal that currently isn't working for me.
    I already have a 15 and a 16 and they are both great.

This thread has reminded me I need to sell/trade some stuff...................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have lots and lots of miss matched stands at home. At this point only one of my kits has all matching hardware but I'm extremely proud of that and I did have to slowly but surely build that up.

Start with what you have and just every once in awhile when you have a free buck here or there replace something with an upgrade of your choice and slowly but surely get them all to match.

I know some of you don't care about matching parts but when I gig out all the time and meet others and we're talking about gear I take pride in showing my setup in it's fullest. It just makes ya feel good inside and proud. Stupid to some but a nice feeling to others.

User Info Menu

Thanks Brian for your input too! I didn't realize Mapex uses the same plastic handle set up. I remember in a previous post you mentioned that if you were to by any DW stands, it would be the DW6000 flat leg series instead of the standard tripod set up. I too looked into the DW6000 series stands because it reminds me of the vintage stands I fondly remember back in the day but again, I have stands that will work so why buy twice? I really want everything to match but that's just not going to happen.
    If you look through the hardware you already own I'm pretty sure you can find a full set of matching hardware that will be just as capable and have the same visual appeal as DW variants - by matching I mean all from one manufacturer's range, rather than buying new, hideously expensive DW gear.

Having stands from the same manufacturer looks great as all the legs and fittings are identical, but I happily use Pearl tom clamps with Tama stands as all my tom clamps are Pearl - so they match! If the Pearl tom clamps were supporting Gibraltar tom L arm mounts (for example) then they would still match as all the tom mounts would be identical - don't see any need for the hardware to be from the same manufacturer - if all tom clamps and mounts are identical there is no loss of visual appeal.

It is bizarre that many drummers will replace their stock snare as soon as possible and don't care if it has a different finish from their other drums, but would never consider mixed hardware - except maybe bass pedals...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    I'm cheap, I have a pearl rack with sound percussion booms
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! I'm cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Same. When I buy a piece of hardware, it's usually what's functionally and economically expedient at the time. I couldn't care less about brand names. It's the drums that make the music. The stands are simply support staff!

all the best...
    I'm staring to feel the same way. If you look back at the pic of my USA Customs, I have Sonor 200 stands mixed with a Pearl 800 series stand and a few PDP stands but the legs are double braced which makes things sturdy but I loath having to hang a tom off a thin stand and the balancing act makes me nervous. I can't tell you how many times guitar players/singers have kicked a tripod leg sending it off balance during a song.

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    On my kit I have Pearl, Yamaha, PDP, Gibraltar and Sonor hardware. Cymbal arms, tom arms, rack parts, pedals. Never had an issue with any of it. If I were a rich man I'd have a DW kit but I'm not so I have a PDP kit.

DW great stuff, wwwaaaayyyyy over priced.
    NPYYZ, you're my hero when it comes to "monster kits" and at first glance, there are so many drums, cymbals, gongs, and bells and whistles, You can't even see the stands and you've validated for me that it's the shells, cymbals and other percussion instruments that is the true "eye candy"

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 17 inch Dark K thin crash.
    It will be a replacement for a cymbal that currently isn't working for me.
    I already have a 15 and a 16 and they are both great.

This thread has reminded me I need to sell/trade some stuff...................
    Cool Ricky. 15", 16" and now a 17", nice! I'm going down to my mom and pop music store and start shopping around for some 12.7 tom arms and looks over their cymbal vault.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have lots and lots of miss matched stands at home. At this point only one of my kits has all matching hardware but I'm extremely proud of that and I did have to slowly but surely build that up.

Start with what you have and just every once in awhile when you have a free buck here or there replace something with an upgrade of your choice and slowly but surely get them all to match.

I know some of you don't care about matching parts but when I gig out all the time and meet others and we're talking about gear I take pride in showing my setup in it's fullest. It just makes ya feel good inside and proud. Stupid to some but a nice feeling to others.
    Spaz, I know where you're coming from. I'd do the same if I had a few hundred bucks to stash away every paycheck but every time I turn around, there's something that needs to be fixed at the house or on my wife's truck. As I grow older and start to encroach into my '60s (currently 56), I've noticed my priorities and money have shifted towards reaching retirement and I hope to have a kit that is as beautiful to look at as yours with every detail in place.

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    If you look through the hardware you already own I'm pretty sure you can find a full set of matching hardware that will be just as capable and have the same visual appeal as DW variants - by matching I mean all from one manufacturer's range, rather than buying new, hideously expensive DW gear.

Having stands from the same manufacturer looks great as all the legs and fittings are identical, but I happily use Pearl tom clamps with Tama stands as all my tom clamps are Pearl - so they match! If the Pearl tom clamps were supporting Gibraltar tom L arm mounts (for example) then they would still match as all the tom mounts would be identical - don't see any need for the hardware to be from the same manufacturer - if all tom clamps and mounts are identical there is no loss of visual appeal.

It is bizarre that many drummers will replace their stock snare as soon as possible and don't care if it has a different finish from their other drums, but would never consider mixed hardware - except maybe bass pedals...
    Great post crispycritters. I can't seem to understand why drummers feel the need to swap out a stock snare drum too but I do have a "go to snare" that I always use (5x14" BB) so I may know why the snare seems to hold more priority than any other piece on a kit.

Last edited by late8; 06-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

I loath having to hang a tom off a thin stand and the balancing act makes me nervous. I can't tell you how many times guitar players/singers have kicked a tripod leg sending it off balance during a song.
    ^^^This.......................

I make certain that the snare stand that cradles my rack tom and the cymbal stand that supports my small FT are extremely sturdy and trustworthy.
    This you must do................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have sold various DW stands from buying huge piles of stuff on Craigslist, from 3000 to 9000 series, and my honest opinion is every single one was overpriced if I were to buy it new. The one good thing about them is I can sell these for more than other used stands and people will pay for it because it has the DW name on it.
    The plastic cymbal handles are something that I would be afraid to use if transporting those stands often. They feel cheap to me and there are much better systems out there for less money. Mapex Falcon stands have a ball arm that the cymbal sits on, and the handle on those is metal I believe. I just have basic boom arms with a regular tilter and those work fine.