Thread: Dear Karma

User Info Menu

Default Dear Karma

Been a while since I posted. Quite a bit has been going on. Playing a LOT of music in the last 9 months. Not many shows but rehearsing and doing a lot of homework. The new project Im involved in is called Dear Karma. It was started by me and a former bandmate who is also a great drummer but has been fronting bands for several years. We just got started about 30 days ago but we are making great progress with a great guitar player and bassist. We are expecting to add a rhythm player soon.
    Prior to that I doing a band about 40 minutes from me. Getting to practices was tough at times but I managed. With the effort I was rewarded with about 1 to 1.5 hours of rehearsal if we were lucky. I spent countless hours learning the setlist of 32 or so songs. Sadly the others didn't share in my enthusiasm. The rest of the band (after 7 months) had about 12-14 songs down. We had a one hour set at a local festival last weekend and it didn't go well. These folks have the talent and are great folks but just don't want to put the time in to be the band they say they want to be. So after the show I bowed out.
    Back to the band I'm in now. The music is pretty challenging to me as it's mainly alternative with stuff from the 90's and 2000's with some new stuff mixed in. Im really excited of this band to say the least. The singer and guitar player are full of energy. Having been in a band and seen this singer work he can work the crowd. He really makes them feel like part of the show. We are hoping to at least open for some friends in the coming months. I will keep y'all posted.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dear Karma

Glad you're still kickin'

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    The rest of the band (after 7 months) had about 12-14 songs down. We had a one hour set at a local festival last weekend and it didn't go well. These folks have the talent and are great folks but just don't want to put the time in to be the band they say they want to be. So after the show I bowed out.

Back to the band I'm in now. The music is pretty challenging to me as it's mainly alternative with stuff from the 90's and 2000's with some new stuff mixed in. Im really excited of this band to say the least. The singer and guitar player are full of energy.

Seven months for 12 or 14 songs is a band on life support..........and after all that time, the band couldn't pull off a quality one-hour set ?.........just say no.
    Stick with the energetic (enthusiastic) players.
    Good luck and, yes, keep us posted.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Sounds a lot like my last 6 months. 4 different projects with nothing to show except for about 120 songs I now know that I didn't before the first of the year.

I'm still juggling 3 band opportunities trying to internally determine what direction I want to go.

I haven't slept in days, LOL.

I am glad that you are settling in to what sounds like a good thing. Keep us posted, Dawg.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sounds like you've been busy. Have fun.

User Info Menu

Got a little recording. It's pretty raw and was the first take of Unglued bu Stone Temple Pilots. Hope to polish it up the next few weeks.

https://soundcloud.com/user-241250841/unglued
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

WOW, you guys kicked it up a couple notches.

Sounds good but drums need to come up in the mix more. Bass player is going crazy (in a good way). He's really good from what I can hear. I bet you guys have a blast grooving.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks man. Ya we are still working on the mix. It's a small room so it's a little tough. We have practice tomorrow so Im going to mention it. We have only been together about 2 months so we are still learning each other. I was in a band with the singer a few years ago. This project has potential. Hopefully we can keep it going.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Thanks man. Ya we are still working on the mix. It's a small room so it's a little tough. We have practice tomorrow so Im going to mention it. We have only been together about 2 months so we are still learning each other. I was in a band with the singer a few years ago. This project has potential. Hopefully we can keep it going.
    You'll get there. Your guys sound pro and for the short time you've been together I hear LOTS of potential.

I am looking forward to following your progress.

Please keep us posted.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I agree. Sounds pretty tight....especially impressive for the short time you've been together. The guy can sing pretty well too. You did a good job keeping the groove driving. I really liked the things you did with the open hats. It added something interesting, yet fit the feel of the song and didn't distract from the driving beat. Sounds like you guys have chemistry and focus. Keep it up!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Good strong singer for covering Nirvana and solid supporting cast including the backbone, Dawgkikker. Keep 'em coming.

User Info Menu

Ugh..... the singer quit last week. He says his wife is sick (cancer) and he wants to be with her more. He is a good friend of mine so I fully understand. I would do the same thing. We have decided to try and keep it going. We have a guy coming in tomorrow that auditioned for a band the guitarist and bass player were in. They said he is pretty good so stay tuned. I guarantee you it won't be boring.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

That's always been the worst part of starting a new band, at least in my limited experience. It usually takes a while to filter through a few members. Your singer, however, had a very good reason. I hope everything turns out OK with his wife.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Tried out a new guy around our age (40-50) last night. Went ok I guess. He came in on short notice. Really only knew 2 of the songs. Might have him back for a second look. Supposed to audition a much younger guy next week.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Finding a singer is proving to be what I expected. A pain in the butt. The two guys we had out weren't what they said they were. Had another guy, who had audio samples, but he backed out. One more to audition tomorrow so we will see.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Auditions really suck don't they?

User Info Menu

Yes they do. I like to get samples of peoples work first to save everyone time. My bandmates disagree but I believe if you have any band experience their has to be some audio/video out there somewhere.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Yes they do. I like to get samples of peoples work first to save everyone time. My bandmates disagree but I believe if you have any band experience their has to be some audio/video out there somewhere.
    That's always been my rule. No audio, no video, no audition. Been burned even with that caveat, but, generally it keeps everyone's time from being wasted.

User Info Menu

Dawg my friend. You may have to step up to the plate. Buy a mic and go for it. Join the ranks of Dave Clark, Ringo, Don Brewer and the many others that sang and drummed!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Dawg my friend. You may have to step up to the plate. Buy a mic and go for it. Join the ranks of Dave Clark, Ringo, Don Brewer and the many others that sang and drummed!

all the best...
    Ha ha Kay Gee. I have been doing some backing vocals which is new to me. There a actually a couple of songs I can play and sing but we need a frontman. Speaking of which the guy we had scheduled for the other day backed out at the last moment. Frustration is setting in.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Well Dear Karma is no more. We have been practicing as a 3 piece since losing our singer but we pulled the plug yesterday. I think the guitar player had another offer and backed out. I have busted my butt for the last 6 years with various projects only to find that people are unreliable. From other bandmates not putting in the time to learn material to bandmates not committing to a goal and leaving for what they think is a better opportunity. Im really tired of people not showing up after saying they really want to be part of something special. Really just tired of the lies. Fed up with the clique in this area where people are in 3 and 4 bands and not willing to try someone out they haven't know for 20 years. Basically Im just tire of the crap. With that said I think Im done with my efforts at playing in a band. Actually Im really considering walking away from playing altogether. This thought sometimes crosses my mind when a project falls apart but this time it's very strong. I love music but I just think that after all the effort I have put forth has been in vain. Sorry for the rant but I just felt the need to get it out.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Not telling you what to do, but, I'd consider not giving up. Don't know where you're located. If it's a small town or rural area, your options may be limited, but, if you really want to keep playing......put your own band together. Outside influences shouldn't dictate what you do. Just MHO.

User Info Menu

I don't know if drums are your only instrument, but if not, go buy a cheap guitar and teach yourself to play it and sing. It will renew your interest in playing music, you can do it solo and it will make you a well rounded musician and drummer.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I don't know if drums are your only instrument, but if not, go buy a cheap guitar and teach yourself to play it and sing. It will renew your interest in playing music, you can do it solo and it will make you a well rounded musician and drummer.
    Second this motion.

I love guitar and singing. I can entertain folks quite easily just on my own. When I'm in a circumstance with other musicians though, it's always nice if they can play along.

I absolutely love playing my drums too, but I find that drums are pretty well dependent on other musicians to achieve their maximum enjoyment potential.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 09-16-2016 at 10:41 AM.