Thread: I had a really cool day today

User Info Menu

Default I had a really cool day today

So I was able to visit the studio of the longest running radio show in the world - the King Biscuit Blues show/station in Helena, Arkansas today. They are inside of the Delta Cultural Center, and the museum has a ton of great musical items from history. A few of the photos include Levon Helm's autograph on a music case and his addition to the wall of fame, and Albert King's guitar. I got chills just being in a spot where my favorite style of music has such deep roots.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I had a really cool day today

User Info Menu

Cool! Love me some Albert King.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

One other thing to note about the radio station/show is that BB King was once a DJ for them early in his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Biscuit_Time

User Info Menu

Man, that's way cool!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great experience.

User Info Menu

awesome !
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Looks like a great time

User Info Menu

Whipper.................

Been there -- done that.................great experience.

These days Helena is on the down and out............but the history is fantastic.

Every October they have the King Biscuit Blues Festival in downtown...........covers about 20 square blocks and usually has 4 or 5 stages.
    Draws some very good and famous blues players, as well as some big fans.

A few years ago, Robert Plant was discovered just walking around and taking it all in.
    You have heard all your life from the British rockers how they were brought up playing the blues from the Delta...............Plant wanted to see it for himself.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great bit of history! Thanks for sharing the experience and the pics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Whipper.................

Been there -- done that.................great experience.

These days Helena is on the down and out............but the history is fantastic.

Every October they have the King Biscuit Blues Festival in downtown...........covers about 20 square blocks and usually has 4 or 5 stages.
    Draws some very good and famous blues players, as well as some big fans.

A few years ago, Robert Plant was discovered just walking around and taking it all in.
    You have heard all your life from the British rockers how they were brought up playing the blues from the Delta...............Plant wanted to see it for himself.

My buddy works for the Cultural Center and he was telling me about the Robert Plant visit. Apparently someone got him up on one of the stages and one of the locals in charge didnt know who he was and tried to run him off of the stage.

I plan on making the trip back for the festival this year. They have a pretty solid line up coming in.
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 06-10-2016 at 02:02 PM.

User Info Menu

now that is awesome!

User Info Menu

Here's a link to this year's main acts. The cool thing about the festival is other bands not on this list will perform all across town. Some in buildings, some out on the street. They are a lot of local bands, but good music regardless.

http://www.kingbiscuitfestival.com/k...estival-lineup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Here's a link to this year's main acts. The cool thing about the festival is other bands not on this list will perform all across town. Some in buildings, some out on the street. They are a lot of local bands, but good music regardless.

http://www.kingbiscuitfestival.com/k...estival-lineup
    Amazing !
    I can't believe they got John Mayall to go to Helena................fantastic.
    I grew up in Dallas in the 70s playing the rock clubs...........we had a band in town called Lightning..............Rocky Athas played guitar and he was really good.
    Rocky is now the guitarist for Mayall's band.............I saw them at the One World in Austin a couple of years ago and they still put on a great show.

When Mayall plays Helena this October, he will be a few weeks short of his 83rd birthday............you would not believe how well he still does on stage.
    Here is his page..............Rocky is on the left in the photo:

http://www.johnmayall.com/
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That is one act I am looking forward to seeing. They are already selling tickets at $50 each for all three days of the event, which isn't bad at all.