Thread: Buying new cymbals...

User Info Menu

Default Buying new cymbals...

Hello Everyone.

First post yay! So hi all.

Anyway I recently was given a drum kit by a friend of mine. He had it sitting in his garage and never used it, so when I wanted to get back into druming he let me have it.

Problem is the cymbals are crappy beat up made in Taiwan cymbals. My question is:

When first starting out, what are the best and cheapest options for buying new cymbals?

Thank you

EDIT: The most Ill spend is prolly around 300 dollars. I wouldnt say Ive played enough to have a style but Im working toward Rock/Metal
    Last edited by Yoda; 11-16-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: adding info

User Info Menu

You are going to have to narrow it down a little. How much are you prepared to spend? And what style of music do you play?
    And by the way, welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

welcome yoda to drumchat

and yes you need togive us some information about money and style

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I'd suggest a set of Sabian B8's their pretty versatile, and very inexpensive. I think you can get a set of 14"hats, 14", 16" crash, 18" crash/ride and 20" ride for like 300 dollars. I play with B8's and love them. I know their technically cheap entry level cymbals, but I think they're the biggest bang for your buck. (crash for your buck perhaps?)
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I started with the B8s and still use the Hi Hats and Crash with the pack I bought. They are OK, but if you can afford to go a step up to the B8pro, or even XS20 you'll probably be happier with the sound. I would definately try to go to a store where you can audition them if possible.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I also started off with sabian b8s. I think they are amazing to start off with. The hats aren't so amazing but the crash ride lasted me 2 years and i still wish i had it to this day. If you have a higher budget, cymbal packages are always a good option, but they can get pretty pricey

User Info Menu

i started off with b8s
    they are the toughest entry level cymbals that you can get as far as i can see
    i did just crack the bejeesus out of my medium crash but it served me well
    and i hit really hard hahaha

but we do need to know how much you have to spring for them
    also dont overlook drum heads
    that will improve the sound of the kit as a whole

User Info Menu

Well, if your set on buying new .....the B8's are probably the best value. This deal at GC would be worth your money and you could probably walk out of the store getting a better deal on this pack than the price listed. $250-$280? Just ask for the best deal.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sabian-B...39-i1177731.gc

My personal advice to you or anyone getting started is to buy 2nd hand, ...ebay, Craigslist or in the used rack behind the counter at GC. For slightly more than starter or "budget" cymbals purchased new, you can have intermediate or even pro quality, pro sounding cymbals. "Pro" sounding cymbals may not be a desired feature for you right now, but if if you stick with the drums, you could find yourself outgrowing those budget(B8's) sooner than you think. Then you find yourself upgrading cymbals once again. $$$!

User Info Menu

1st choice for budget cymbals (especially for hard rock or metal) would be paiste alpha series. 2nd choice would be wuhan s serieis.

User Info Menu

I listend to some Zildjian ZHTs in a shop here recently. I am kind of in the same situation as you. I ended up buying some used Sabian AAX's and they are awesome. Check places like Craigslist, Ebay, ect... BTW the ZHTs sounded pretty good. The hats were really good. I may even end up buying a pair of those.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Cool

WE all seem to concur......starter packs of SABIAN B8/PRO are reasonable and very respectable packs to start around yer price range....let us know where yer search takes ya
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Yoda use the force!

I got a set of Sabian B8s amd they were amazing!

User Info Menu

All of the Sabian lines seem to be less expensive than their competetors. Real nice cymbals too!

User Info Menu

Sounds like the vote is in and it's Sabian B8's in a landslide!!!!! LOL

Welcome to Drum Chat Yoda!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

like said before, B8's dont sound the BEST. but they dont sound that bad either. there defiantly a good price for what they sound like. Also Zildjain ZHT's are pretty good too, but again, not the BEST sounding. iv hard real good things about Wuhan S serries too, look into those. even a professional drummer on this chat uses those Wuhans S serries.. so they must be good. and yeah, all the suggestions here are good too.

User Info Menu

hus a professoinal drummer on this chat?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying new cymbals...

ZBTs are cheap and okay, id say get the ZBT pack w/ a16 and 18 crash a 20 ride and a 14 hihat

User Info Menu

save up money and get high quality

User Info Menu

Surprising that no one mentioned checking your local pawn shops. Some amazing drums and cymbals can be had for next to nothing...

User Info Menu

All of the Pawn shops around here have cymbals, they're all the top of the line sheet brass cymbals by a handful of manufacturers.