Thread: mo bass

User Info Menu

Default mo bass

ok so ive seen loads of different pedals and different prices but what i want to know what is it that makes the great pedals so great?
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

I think most pro players would agree that it's feel and simplicity. I've been playing long enough to see a lot of bass drum pedals come and go. The old favorites were the Ludwig Speed King, the Tama 9000 sprocket, etc. These were all very simple in design and felt great. They were more popular in most cases than the ones that had 30 million settings, gears, knobs, switches, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I think most pro players would agree that it's feel and simplicity. I've been playing long enough to see a lot of bass drum pedals come and go. The old favorites were the Ludwig Speed King, the Tama 9000 sprocket, etc. These were all very simple in design and felt great. They were more popular in most cases than the ones that had 30 million settings, gears, knobs, switches, etc.
    a little expansion on what he was saying (which i agree with completely) is...the simpler the design...the faster the reaction time between your foot and the sound

I had a pedal that u would tap and 3 seconds later would make a sound...

Ouch.
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

I 2nd drummer. Everyone has a different feel. The less you tinker with the pedal the less likely you'd totally mess it up. A pedal that generates lesser friction also makes it swing much smoother. For the more expensive pedals, your paying for the features. DW for example. They have the new 9000 pedal, the smoothest pedal, a lot of great extras, yet still the 5000 sells great and it's proven it's capabilities with much less time and time again.

User Info Menu

drummer, outa curoisity, what pedals do you use now? seeing how you have been playing for quit some time, I would think your pick of pedals would be pretty good.

User Info Menu

Cool mo bass

Or if you don't want to spoil your secret, Tom, what currently-available pedal(s) fits your simpler-is-better criteria?

Personally I prefer a chain-drive pedal; fewer things to go wrong...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a Tama Iron Cobra and I love it. The beater delivers an excellent powerful attack.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I think that Axis pedals are probably the best for speed, I've tried them out, not so many setting, Hell the most you can do it adjust how far the beat is from the head, and how the low the foot board is, and for most double the length between the pedal, but comparing that to the DW 9000's which are known as the most customizable and smoothest pedal on the market...though they aren't known for their speed because the pedal has to take into account all the different things the second you touch the pedal though that does only take about 0.3 seconds, but think about that in world record timing, that's at least 30 beats dropped.
    Last edited by Roger; 11-19-2007 at 11:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Or if you don't want to spoil your secret, Tom, what currently-available pedal(s) fits your simpler-is-better criteria?

Personally I prefer a chain-drive pedal; fewer things to go wrong...
    or that

User Info Menu

i like dw and tama iron cobras because they feal familliar. they both use the oldschool camco design i grew up with in the 80s. i have tried trick and axis. i think they are the way of the future, however i cant get used to the precision of them. they are pehaps too perfect for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i like dw and tama iron cobras because they feal familliar. they both use the oldschool camco design i grew up with in the 80s. i have tried trick and axis. i think they are the way of the future, however i cant get used to the precision of them. they are pehaps too perfect for me.
    Direct Drive pedals are generally pretty good.

User Info Menu

I personally would go with the DW5000 series, it feels great and its not to expensive.

I'm hoping to get a 9000 series for Christmas
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3817&dateline=1195493  851

User Info Menu

Remember, a pedal is just a mechanical device. You still gotta have the chops. look at guys like buddy Rich etc... played on stuff that would be pieces of crap by todays standards. Nothing lacking in their footwork at all. Look at the stuff Ian Paice and John Bonham did on bass drums with sqeaky old Ludwig speed Kings. Like most parts of the music gear industry, There is a lot of slick marketing at work.

all the best...