Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 piece drummers?

User Info Menu

Default 4 piece drummers?

I have a couple of friends that won't play anything but a 4 piece (one mounted tom and a floor tom). Anyone in here play with that setup?
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

no way....i gotta have my 3rd tom...well i don't have to but i really like it alot

User Info Menu

same here i cant play the good with just two toms

User Info Menu

the more drums the better i wished i culd afford a drumset the size of mike portnoys

User Info Menu

Default 4 piece drummers?

I play a 5-piece set, but I have done a lesson or two on a 4-piece set...just a matter of revising your play. Like I posted on another thread, I've seen some drummers make four or five pieces sound like more, and vice versa...it's what you're comfortable with--and whether or not you're willing to take a challenge with something different!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

It goes without saying that the less drums you have, the more challenged you are to make more out of less. That said, I still like a 5 piece drumset myself. Sometimes 6 or 7 drums. I'll often put a timbale on the left for special effects.

User Info Menu

I have a 5 piece but i often play it like a four piece ignoring one of the toms just because it suits the song better; i find it often leads to more interesting fills when your limited like that.

User Info Menu

same here. i have a 5 piece, but at a gig one time i used the other drummer's kit and he only had 2 toms and i really enjoyed playing it. so now i'm trying to make the transition from 3 to 2 toms... adjusting my fills and just getting used to a different setup.

User Info Menu

I saw a guy playing a 3 piece. Kick, snare, floor tom. Plays in a cover band that does everything from rap to rock to country to metal. Amazing. Just listening I didn't even notice he only had three drums.

User Info Menu

I play a 4 peice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPy
    I have a couple of friends that won't play anything but a 4 piece (one mounted tom and a floor tom). Anyone in here play with that setup?
    Thats my set up...just like Buddy Rich. Some times I use a second floor tom.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

i have a 5-piece set (snare, bass, 2 mounted toms, and 1 floor tom) but i really wish i could buy another floor tom because i think i could do so much more than i do now but since i'm so poor i live with my 5 piece
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

i have 3 mounted toms and 1 floor tom, snare,double bass, and 6 cymbals
    Oh and a cowbell (lol Utopia...)

its amazing what 1 tom or a double bass pedal can do... so many more possibilities
    i want to get another cymbal and maybe even more toms
    my sister set is friggin amazing... soooo much stuf i dont even remember
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever heard of the Black keys, their drummer was never tought how to play, and he plays a 4 peice, sometimes i think he plays a 3 peice, but he rocks it!!! It doesn't matter how many drums you have, just how you play them. I play a 4 peice so that I can practice more complicated fills, and because I'm poor and 4 peice sets tipically cost less depending on brand, wood type, size, etc.

User Info Menu

ive got a 4 piece that i occasionaly practice on
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Size only affects the amount of sounds u play. I guess thats why punk uses 4 pieces sometimes .Its so fast u dont hear whats missing.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

its all a matter of what you do. i play in a few dif settings. when playing with my bop jazz group i play a 4 pc w/ 4 cymbals. when i play in my classic rock cover band i play a seven pc. w/ 11 cymbals to cover whatever sounds i need to make the song authentic. when i play with my original prog/fusion project i use a wole room full of perccusion instruments.

User Info Menu

True. I believe as many cymbols as you can.... I guess number of drums matches what you play.... Kinda makes sence. You couldnt hit every drum in a 9 piece on a punk song (I doubt)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Course you could!

User Info Menu

no you couldnt. didnt you see what happened when people did that in the early 80s. somebody did something technical on a punk rock song and thrash metal was born.

User Info Menu

enter metallica
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

I'm currently on a five piece set, and I have a six piece on the way (snare, kick, 2 ride toms and two floor toms), I'm sure both will be fun to play. Having said that, though, I will be taking lessons from a gentleman that has been playing for 40 years (works at one of our local music shops), and still gigs ocassionally. He told me that even with fewer drums, a good drummer can make it sound like more drums simply by the changes in tone depending on where you strike the head of each drum - center or closer to the rim. Made perfect sense to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LIMPy
    I just changed my set-up to this, and so far I really like it.

User Info Menu

I like them that way it looks cool and seems practical to play. What are those wuhan cymbols like. Are they very tough?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    I like them that way it looks cool and seems practical to play. What are those wuhan cymbols like. Are they very tough?
    I like them, have a listen to my videos on my myspace page and you will hear them, I get alot of good comments on them.