Thread: Gibraltar oversized MC throne w/backrest

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar oversized MC throne w/backrest

A few weeks ago I purchased a new Gibraltar "oversized" motorcycle throne with backrest. With a 20% off coupon, it cost just over $100. My old throne was a Gibraltar 9600 round-top. Both thrones share the exact same threaded post base, and both are built like a German tank. I was never happy with the round-top 9600. I found the padding TOO soft and lacking support & stability. It caused my lower back muscles to stay tense in order to maintain a stable posture. In addition, the soft padding and round shape would cut off the circulation in the back of my thighs. By the second set of a gig, I would have to stand up between songs due to numbness in my legs. My lower back would also start to hurt.

I'm happy to report; the new MC version is fantastic. Firm support, great mobility and very ergonomic. Being able to lean back on the back rest provides a very stable position and much more ergonomic in terms of playing. I honestly think it IMPROVED my playing. Even after a 4hr gig, I had ZERO back, hip or leg pains.

There are a few "cons";
    1) Weight. This thing is heavy to carry around
    2) The backrest is easily adjustable, but NOT easily removed. As a result, it will not fit in my Roadrunner hardware bag without complete disassembly. A little more engineering would have resulted in a more gig-friendly product.
    3) Because you lean back on the backrest, one of the three base legs need to be pointing back. This means the other two legs can interfere with optimum placement of the snare stand, bass pedal & hat stand.

All said, the "cons" are a small price to pay for the low cost, high comfort and solid construction.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar oversized MC throne w/backrest

I have the exact same one, and for the exact cons you've mentioned, it is living it's life at the computer desk. Kinda bulky and requires too much extra handling, for me, to fit in a small car full of drums and other gear.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a backrest on my roc-n-soc but I never truly sit back on it enough to have to spin the legs to the back like you describe. I couldn't play leaning back like that. I love to sit forward. I only use the back rest between songs to relax and still I don't use it like a lazy boy recliner

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have a backrest on my roc-n-soc but I never truly sit back on it enough to have to spin the legs to the back like you describe. I couldn't play leaning back like that. I love to sit forward. I only use the back rest between songs to relax and still I don't use it like a lazy boy recliner
    I see what you mean. I have the back rest adjusted low and forward...so it's providing lower back support when I'm sitting straight up, with my shoulders directly above or just slightly forward of my hips. I'm tall and have a habit of slouching over my drums. The backrest (adjusted in this manner) seemed to help keep me sitting in an upright posture. I may not need to have one leg pointing back....This was the first trial for the throne. We were set up on a flatbed trailer and my thrown was only about 4" from the edge and a 36" drop to the concrete. I decided not to take any chances!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I see what you mean. I have the back rest adjusted low and forward...so it's providing lower back support when I'm sitting straight up, with my shoulders directly above or just slightly forward of my hips. I'm tall and have a habit of slouching over my drums. The backrest (adjusted in this manner) seemed to help keep me sitting in an upright posture. I may not need to have one leg pointing back....This was the first trial for the throne. We were set up on a flatbed trailer and my thrown was only about 4" from the edge and a 36" drop to the concrete. I decided not to take any chances!
    Good choice!

User Info Menu

I have a Tama Ergo rider quartet with backrest, and its a great throne, but man its heavy...4 legs so I ain't going anywhere...a bummer to lug it around, but my back is real happy that's for sure. I tried a really soft throne also and found it not really great at all, like you said too much energy used to remain stable.

User Info Menu

I think I have the same issues with my Ludwig backrest as you do with the one for your Gibraltar throne. I have to take it completely apart which includes dismantling the backing plate for the back rest. The hassle that I encountered was lining up the backing plate and the bolt that passes through it in order for it to be tightened down. Is this your issue too?

I also have to be cognoscente on leaving one leg under the backrest to keep it from tipping back and sometime between sets, that leg will inevitably get knocked out of position leaving me reeling forward to regain my balance if I didn't notice it had moved.

I've since upgraded my throne to a Roc-n-Soc nitro with the lunar legs to give me more stability but again, I have to slide the legs off of the center of the throne and take off the back rest in order for it to packed in a gig bag or hardware case.

Last edited by late8; 06-24-2016 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

YES! Exactly! In fact, that Ludwig looks EXACTLY like my Gibraltar. Only difference I can see is that mine has cloth cover on the seat and the post lock clamp is different. The brackets that attach the backrest are exactly the same. Trying to align that bolt and threaded plate is awkward. I just left the seat assembled and put it in the cab of the truck. From a comfort level, it's awesome.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

YES! Exactly! In fact, that Ludwig looks EXACTLY like my Gibraltar. Only difference I can see is that mine has cloth cover on the seat and the post lock clamp is different. The brackets that attach the backrest are exactly the same. Trying to align that bolt and threaded plate is awkward. I just left the seat assembled and put it in the cab of the truck. From a comfort level, it's awesome.
    It is a nice throne. It can go low as 20":

and 26.5" high:

The back rest is 13" wide:

The tractor seat is 12" deep:

User Info Menu

The backrest's height can be adjusted to accommodate tall drummers:

Nice firm padding provides ample support for the lower back:

The angle of the backrest is slightly tilted towards the back of the throne to also provide support for the lower lumbar area. I never sit far enough back to reach any back rests I have attached to my thrones but do I lean back and used it to give me relief in between songs and that brief respite makes a world of difference if you're slugging your way through four 45 minute sets.

User Info Menu

Yep. I set the back rest as far forward as possible and It actually touches my lower back. That seems to keep me from slouching. After a 4hr gig, I had no pain or discomfort in my back, tailbone, shoulders or legs. I'm ready to rip the junk seat out of my 2011 Chevy Silverado and replace it with a Gibraltar MC throne, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Yep. I set the back rest as far forward as possible and It actually touches my lower back. That seems to keep me from slouching. After a 4hr gig, I had no pain or discomfort in my back, tailbone, shoulders or legs. I'm ready to rip the junk seat out of my 2011 Chevy Silverado and replace it with a Gibraltar MC throne, LOL.
    lol!!! Only you can make such a modification work...

User Info Menu

I have a Gibraltar backrest that fits on just about any throne, like my Pearl throne. I do not even try to put that backrest in the hardware box. I move it with the mic stands and other misc. stuff. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

When Gibraltar first came out with their "Hydraulic" throne with their oversized motorcycle seat, I bought one. After 5 or 6 years, I gave it to a guitar player that was overweight and needed something comfortable to sit on...then I ordered a brand new one. I own 4 of them now... one for each of my drum kits and so many seem to like the backrest, I dont. I sit slightly forward and I tried using one but my back never touched it until a song was over and even then, I rarely leaned back on it. The part that I dearly "love" about the "Hydraulic" style throne is that when you sit down the throne goes slightly down and back up and it amounts to a "cushioned type" effect...while playing twin kicks or kick and hi-hat, with the screw-type thrones, there is a slight amount of jarring that to me that just does not feel good ...and it does not happen with a Hydraulic type throne. Roc N Soc hydraulic thrones also have that same "cushioned" effect. The oversized seat is comfortable without being too "soft" -- Just braggin a bit on a piece of gear that makes my life behind the kit a lot better~!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!