Thread: Possible practice kit...

User Info Menu

Default Possible practice kit...

I've been using an older Ludwig Accent kit in my band's practice space (not
    mine, owned by the brother of the bass player), but the owner wants to
    use it, so he's taking it out of the space.

So, I need to get a new kit to practice with. I was at Guitar Center
    yesterday, and found a Tama Rockstar for $249. Looks to be an older
    (better?) kit:

I was thinking of getting something like the Superstar, Export or Catalina,
    but this may be a much cheaper way to replace the kit.

At the same time, I'd rather spend $800 on something worth $800 than
    spend $249 on something worth $150.

Thoughts on this kit?
    Last edited by cg2112; 06-23-2016 at 10:21 AM.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Default Re: Possible practice kit...

Well worth $249. I'd have it loaded in the truck by now.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Well worth $249. I'd have it loaded in the truck by now.
    +1

That is a steal.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I actually went to buy it there at lunch today, when I found a slightly newer Tama Rockstar kit, maybe a couple years older, including a stand and a floor top, for $200. My brain got to confused, so I left. That one had a wrap, the one shown here looks nicer to me.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cg2112 View Post
    I actually went to buy it there at lunch today, when I found a slightly newer Tama Rockstar kit, maybe a couple years older, including a stand and a floor top, for $200. My brain got to confused, so I left. That one had a wrap, the one shown here looks nicer to me.
    Go back and look again at the badge! Check if it's a Made in Japan (MIJ) Tama Rockstar kit and if it is, it's a great find. The quality and workmanship from the original Tama factory in Japan followed great production and manufacturing processes to compete with the drums made in the U.S.

Here's the what the original MIJ Rockstar badge looks from the mid '80s-'90s. some say "Made In Japan" while the newer models say "Made in Taiwan" where Tama moved its first production plant before the final move to mainland China.

Wiki quote~

History-

"Hoshino Gakki began manufacturing drums in 1965 under the name "Star Drums". Hoshino, the family name of the founder, translates to "star field," thus the selection of the "Star Drums" brand name. The drums were manufactured at Hoshino's subsidiary, Tama Seisakusho, which had opened in 1962 to manufacture Ibanez guitars and amplifiers.

While the production of guitars and amps was moved out of the factory by 1966, the production of drums there continued to grow. The two higher lines of drum models, Imperial Star and Royal Star, were introduced to the American market and were successful lower-cost drums competing against more expensive American-made drums offered by Rogers, Ludwig, and Slingerland at the time.

By 1979, Hoshino decided to make a concerted effort to make high-quality drums and hardware and start marketing its drums under the Tama brand. Tama was the name of the owner's wife, and means "jewel" in Japanese. "Star" continues to be used in the names of Tama's drum models to this day.

Tama and Drum Workshop (DW) jointly bought the bankrupt Camco Drum Company. As part of the deal, DW received the Camco tooling and manufacturing equipment while Tama received the Camco name, designs, engineering and patent rights.

At the time, Camco was producing what was thought to be the best drum pedal on the market. DW continued production of the pedal using the original tooling, rebadging it as the DW5000. Tama began production of the same pedal under the Camco name. The Tama version of the Camco pedal is commonly referred to as the Tamco pedal to distinguish it from an original Camco pedal.

Tama integrated all the engineering from Camco into their production process and the overall level of quality of their drums increased virtually overnight. The original plan was to market the low-end Tama drums to beginners and use the Camco brand to sell high-end drums to professional musicians.

However, even the professionals were starting to use the Tama drums because of the low cost of the Asian-made drums with the (now) high quality of hardware. Tama was one of the first companies to offer super heavy-duty hardware, and drum mounting systems that did not intrude into the shell like most brands in the 1970s."

End of quote~

User Info Menu

This kit was made in Taiwan. The one next to it (which was $50 less, but included a snare) was made in China, and there was a clear difference in quality (though both still had the full length lugs).

In the end, I couldn't resist. Too much nostalgia, too small a price.

DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

This kit was made in Taiwan. The one next to it (which was $50 less, but included a snare) was made in China, and there was a clear difference in quality (though both still had the full length lugs).

In the end, I couldn't resist. Too much nostalgia, too small a price.

Wow!! That's a beautiful kit!! Nice score...how do they sound??

User Info Menu

Tuned up, not too bad at all. Really great tone, just like I remember. Tuned up really easily, too. Nice low-ish sweet spots on all of them.

I can't wait to get new heads on them, putting EC2's on tomorrow.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Tuned up, not too bad at all. Really great tone, just like I remember. Tuned up really easily, too. Nice low-ish sweet spots on all of them.

I can't wait to get new heads on them, putting EC2's on tomorrow.
    EC2s? Great heads. What are you going to use for reso heads? That kick drum reso looks brand new. Did it come with the kit? What are the toms diameters and depth? Thanks...

User Info Menu

I'll probably just use Remo Ambassador reso heads, never done me wrong yet. The toms are 10x8, 12x10, 14x14, 22-inch bass. The head on the front of the bass is actually a batter head, I'll replace that with an Evans EMAD reso head.
    DW Performance
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Good score....and beautiful finish. I looked at one just like it on Tuesday, same color even, and they wanted $399 for it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Magnificent! Very good score! Those look way better in your house than they did at the store.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats on the great find! They're beautiful!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

That's a great find indeed. Really nice finish. Great sizes too. Lucky man.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!