Thread: Mic sets

User Info Menu

Default Mic sets

I'm in the market to purchase a mic set for my kit when I play out and there is the need for a PA system. I have a six piece kit, so I'm going to need 8-9 mic's in order to get every tom, kick, snare, and cymbals.

I've been searching Amazon and see everything from $250 up to $2500. I certainly don't have $2500 to spend, so I'm thinking somewhere in the middle of the two.

What are some of the brands you guys are using, and what was the price range for your set ups?

Thanks in advance.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mic sets

Audix dp-7. Not a perfect answer I know. I own a mash up of Audix, Sennheiser, AKG and Shure mics. All great mics from great companies. Packs are nice from all four brands, but most are incomplete for all around needs. The dp-7 would cover most kits (and sound great), but you need a couple more mics than that mic pack has. Buy the kit and a couple singles, but then, why stick with brand at that point? Maybe just build your own kit like I did. Audix d6, Sennheiser e604, AKG p170, c1000, d112, Shure sm57, that's my set up and it's excellent for live situations.
    Last edited by SunDog; 06-23-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I use the Audix 5pc. D series mic set= $660 USD (new)

Then added:

(2x) Shure Beta 57 @ $100 ea. = $200 USD (new)

(1x) AKG -T170 small diaphragm condenser= $150 USD (new)

Grand total $1010.00 USD

i5- hihats
    Shure 57- snare
    D2- Tom #1
    D2-Tom #2
    D4- Floor tom
    D6- kick
    Shure 57 -ride
    AKG T170- over head

The only drawback I found with the Audix D series mic set weren't the mics itself but instead, the weak link are the plastic goose neck mic holders that clip to the hoop. The plastic grooves that provide the "bite" on the clip wore out rather quickly and it's cumbersome to keep tightening the wing nut to keep it in the proper position. Sometimes, the clip will loosen up during a song and the mic ends up sitting precariously over the batter head making it a easy target for a drumstick if you don't realize it had slipped. It didn't happen too often but when it did, it became a distraction and a nuisance during the gig.

If I sub-mix the drum mics I use an 8 channel 1200 watt (2x600) Peavey XR8600 PA head

I really like the D6 for the kick because it's EQ at the Audix factory where their engineers notched out the 10-20k Hz (yellow box) to accentuate the beater. Here's a chart showing the different frequency response from the most popular bass drum mics:

Last edited by late8; 06-24-2016 at 10:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Shure microphone's educational pamphlet on drums mics is a helpful guide on mic placement and they explain their philosophy on the number of mics to use on a kit. Some pros chime in who endorse Shure and explain what they use and why.

User Info Menu

I'm using the Audix FP series, their budget entry.

It's good for a starter set, something you don't have to spend a ton on while you decide what you want to do, and how often you really need to mic everything. We don't often have the real need to mic the whole kit, many times we just mic the kick and snare.

Given my experience with the FP's, if/when I decide to upgrade, I will seriously look at the Audix D series stuff.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterbruce View Post
    I'm using the Audix FP series, their budget entry.

It's good for a starter set, something you don't have to spend a ton on while you decide what you want to do, and how often you really need to mic everything. We don't often have the real need to mic the whole kit, many times we just mic the kick and snare.

Given my experience with the FP's, if/when I decide to upgrade, I will seriously look at the Audix D series stuff.

Good luck!
    Great point! I try to keep the kit mic'd to help enhance the it and help iron out any weird nuisances surrounding the room or stage where the kit is set up. As an example, I used just one overhead for an outdoor gig where the kit was set up on or near large granite and marble steps and walls. I had cavernous arch ways in front of doors with glass paned windows. This provided a huge amount of natural reverb and my kit sounded like I was playing in a cathedral.

User Info Menu

I snagged a set of Carol mics off Gumtree for $40 a few weeks ago. Really nothing special but they do a job... Keep an eye on your second hand market too mate.

User Info Menu

Here's a link to the review of the Mays mic system I posted here a while back.
    I have since replaced the PDP Platinum Series kit with a DW Performance Series, but the Mays Mic system just moved over to the new drums. No drilling only a screwdriver and a drum key.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...highlight=Mays
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great point! I try to keep the kit mic'd to help enhance the it and help iron out any weird nuisances surrounding the room or stage where the kit is set up. As an example, I used just one overhead for an outdoor gig where the kit was set up on or near large granite and marble steps and walls. I had cavernous arch ways in front of doors with glass paned windows. This provided a huge amount of natural reverb and my kit sounded like I was playing in a cathedral.

Gorgeous place to play Rich!

I picked up the Shure 57-52 pack used for $200.............great mic set IMO

User Info Menu

I have a bunch of microphones that I've picked up over the years, they didn't sell drum mic packages back then.

These days I use a Shure DMK57-52 kit with a couple of extra SM 57s and an old AKG condenser as an overhead. I have my bass drum mic mounted on a Kelly SHU mount and love it. I have maybe $800-900 invested in the whole setup and it works and sounds great.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Gorgeous place to play Rich!

I picked up the Shure 57-52 pack used for $200.............great mic set IMO
    Thanks Butch!