Thread: How many styles do you play?

User Info Menu

Default How many styles do you play?

How many styles of music can you play? In other words, count the ones that, if someone were to start off a song, you would feel comfortable keeping up with.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many styles do you play?

Blues, rock'n'roll, some old prog and plain rock. So basically one style.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Hmmm. That's hard, because like Slinglander said, everything is a derivative of another style. I suppose...

Blues (Chicago style, Jump Blues, Swing Blues, R&B, etc.)
    Funk (Blues based as well)
    Waltz
    Texas style swing
    Bluegrass
    Country (Shuffle, swing, old vintage, honky Tonk, country gospel)
    Polka
    Rock (50s, 60s & 70s Classic, surfer, country, folk, 90s progressive, 80s hair-band)
    Some pseudo Reggae (limited - mostly mild rock style)

Never played Hip-Hop, or heavy/thrash metal (whatever it's called). I've never played what I would consider pure Jazz or anything seriously Latin.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Prog Rock, hard rock, little bit of doo wop, and maybe some Big band.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Prog Rock, hard rock, little bit of doo wop, and maybe some Big band.
    One of the things I like about progressive rock is it can encompass a multitude of different styles
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The bass player I worked with for 20 years in 2 bands always said that I was a jazz drummer playing in a R&R band. At the same time regarding different styles (to paraphrase Yogi Berra) hear song, play song.

As far as playing in bands went, I had 2 rules:

Listen to the music, it will always tell you what to do.

Keep the customer satisfied.

Do those 2 things and you will always be working.

User Info Menu

Death metal
    Brutal death metal
    Technical death metal
    Progressive death metal
    Death doom metal
    Blackened death metal
    Symphonic death metal
    Melodic death metal

Lol

Metal, rock, reggae, ska, blues, drum & bass, hiphop
    - Zack

User Info Menu

The bass player I worked with for 20 years in 2 bands always said that I was a jazz drummer playing in a R&R band. At the same time regarding different styles (to paraphrase Yogi Berra) hear song, play song.

As far as playing in bands went, I had 2 rules:

Listen to the music, it will always tell you what to do.

Keep the customer satisfied.

Do those 2 things and you will always be working.
    Indeed! Never said better. Let go of your ego. Take criticism musically, not personally. Serve the song.
    That being said. I'm a Prog rock/classic rock player at the core.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Death metal
    Brutal death metal
    Technical death metal
    Progressive death metal
    Death doom metal
    Blackened death metal
    Symphonic death metal
    Melodic death metal
    So, pretty much metal then?
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

The styles that go - boom bap, boom boom bap. Everything else is too confusing for me. I'll gladly have a go, but it wont be pretty.

User Info Menu

At one point or another over the past forty years I've played...

Classic rock, originally when it was new and just called rock.

Classic Country. In the late seventies I took a gig for a while backing an older gentleman who covered Hank Williams (the first one), Johnny Cash, Hank Snow, Buck Owens and similar artists.

In the 80s in Florida at one point I played in three bands regularly. One was straight ahead rock and roll, one was new wave, sort of punkish at times and the one that paid the bills was playing lounge music in hotels up and down the beach.

At one point I played in a big band for a while. I loved it, but that is a genre that I don't think that I could play effectively today without a good bit of practice.

In the 1990s I was still rocking, they were starting to call it classic rock by then.

In 1996 I got a call to see if I could bring together some other musicians to do some oldies gigs. That little project lasted ten years, I was part of it until 2004 when I got transferred out of town for my day job. We played everything from 1950s doo wop and early rock and roll to surf, British Invasion and soul. I loved playing all of those different styles one after another.

When I was in Baltimore and DC my job made it impossible to be in a regular band. I did sub regularly though. I became the regular sub for a blues act, subbed with a classic rock band from time to time and even subbed playing straight ahead jazz a few times. The jazz wasn't really in my wheel house, but I did surprisingly well at it.

Then I had a few strokes in 2008, which rocked my world. I had to start from scratch.

After 18 months I played in front of people for the first time sitting in with my brother's classic rock band. I played "okay", but it wasn't comfortable for me at the time. It was very disheartening to me after gigging so much for so many years. I didn't think that I would ever be a working drummer again.

I took hand percussion lessons (conga) for a year or two and started gigging as a hand percussionist in 2010. I ended up playing hand percussion gigs for a few years with different bands and became better know as a percussionist than as a drummer around here. I sat in at a regular blues and rock open stage regularly to get comfortable playing drums with a band again. Since late 2013 I've been playing with a local rock and soul cover band. I still play hand percussion gigs and sub with a blues band on drums pretty regularly.

I can't tell you how good it feels to be a working drummer again. My smile should tell the tale.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Punk rock
    Punk pop

User Info Menu

I'd be perfectly happy to be nothing but a jazz drummer, but I don't really have the skills for that. I'm at home with just about any musical style that revolves around a groove and not demanding too much in the way of fancy fills or odd meters.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Our current band covers a variety of different things, depending on the venue we are playing at. We're primarily in the classic rock/southern rock vein, but we play some stuff that is a bit on the heavier side of the classic rock genre at times.

And we also play a smidgen of country flavored stuff, as well. Some stuff that is what most what call "bro" country (which to me is rock with a twang in the voice, lol), and some more standard country stuff as well.

I have played in an oldies band before (and am doing a few fill-ins for them later this summer again, gonna be fun) and the band I played in as a kid played a bunch of 60's era rock stuff, Beatles, Stones et al. Even a touch of 80's style stuff as well.

I could stumble through some reggae, I think, and I've played some blues stuff with a buddies band recently. I might be able to play some simple jazz stuff, but nothing beyond that.

I'm probly not your choice for thrash or speed metal, I'm afraid. Or if you need someone for a Rush cover band....

User Info Menu

All styles.

User Info Menu

I can play rock,basic jazz,blues,funk,and alittle latin. And I am still learning other grooves.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Over the years, I have played the following styles:

50s/60s Dance, 60s/70s R&R, Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Prog Rock, Disco, 70s/80s Punk, 80s Rock and Alternative, Heavy Metal, 90s Rock, Traditional Cajun, Cajun Rock, Zydeco, Swamp Pop, Old School Country, New Country, Blues ...

At this point in my life I would like to learn how to play jazz, something that I love to listen to but never got the chance to learn ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 07-05-2016 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

With all due respects, you can't "learn" jazz.

In the '60's, '70's, and '80's, when I was in Jersey, I would go to NYC to the clubs that had after hours jams. Sometimes you were able to sit in, sometimes not.

I have jammed on everything from Cherokee to Ala Mode, to Night in Tunisia, and they were never played the same way twice.

That cannot be taught. You can't teach a "feel".

User Info Menu

Polkas
    marches
    classic rock
    big band
    waltzes
    dixieland
    old tyme jazz
    pop

could probably sight read most classical scores but I'd really prefer to have a rehearsal or two, not because it's technical but because the hardest part is hearing/feeling where it all fits in.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

You can't teach a "feel".
    I agree with this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I agree with this!
    I actually disagree. I think, like everything else, you do your best to teach it. I've spent many hours talking about feel and giving examples on how to achieve it. Now, whether or not they learn it properly is another thing. But still, people will have their own interpretations of groove and feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I actually disagree. I think, like everything else, you do your best to teach it. I've spent many hours talking about feel and giving examples on how to achieve it. Now, whether or not they learn it properly is another thing. But still, people will have their own interpretations of groove and feel.
    Yep. drummers sound different. It has much to do with how they distribute "weight" around the set. Some have heavier feet than hands and vice versa. So even playing the exact same notes technically, two drummers can create two different feels. The interesting part is how the band picks up on that and runs with it. This is how unique music is created.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Death metal
    Brutal death metal
    Technical death metal
    Progressive death metal
    Death doom metal
    Blackened death metal
    Symphonic death metal
    Melodic death metal
    That's awesome.