Thread: Opinions on the Perfect Balance pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Opinions on the Perfect Balance pedal?

Hi, guys

I'm deciding what single bass pedal to buy and I'm considering JoJo's PB pedal. It has some pretty rough reviews in forums but they're mostly posted many years ago so maybe Sonor has improved this line by now? I'm an intermediate drummer and the pedal would get like 40 hours of practice a week so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the pedal breaking and being weak and stuff.

I like a very light pedal and the smooth footboard is so appealing. I'm currently working hard on my double kick technique, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to get a pedal that does half the work for me ('cause you can't be a pro if you can only play with a specific pedal, right? :D).

Other options I'm considering are the Yamaha FP9500C and the Pearl P-3000D Demon. I've played with the Yamaha one and I liked it, it's very cheap, too, comparing to the other choices. So, in a way, it would be a safe choice. Not that into the DWs.

I'm looking for the pedal to be a trustworthy companion for many years, can't be buying new ones all the time :D

Anyway, your opinion would be much appreciated

PS. I can't try out the pedals myself, I have to order it online.
    Last edited by funkymonk1; 07-01-2016 at 06:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Opinions on the Perfect Balance pedal?

I use an Axis direct drive single, very smooth,can be adjusted for very light feel,doubles/triples easy.Look on cl or ebay for good used,I got lucky found mine excellent condition for $40.. love the direct drive

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 07-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    I use an Axis direct drive single............I got lucky found mine excellent condition for $40.
    DANG ! Nice score.................

I bought a new double Speed Cobra and then customized it with Yamaha beaters and the Trick drive shaft.
    It is now the pedal for me....................perfect.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have ben using Pearl P2000c for the last 12 years and man what a great pedal. Never broke down yet, affordable. durable and very versatile with adjustments and interchangeable cams. Well worth looking into.

User Info Menu

I would recommened going into a shop and trying out all the pedals, everybody likes different things in terms of pedals.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

So, looking for a cheap, good pedal or expensive pedal?
    One of the few cheap, good pedals, under-rated and has a solid base plate is a Sonor 453.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    I would recommened going into a shop and trying out all the pedals, everybody likes different things in terms of pedals.
    This.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

The Yamaha direct drive is a solid great pedal! We have one in our store and it's awesome.

I also play the Axis longboard and it's phenomenal.

My favorite is the DW9K though as al around it's so smooth and the infinite adjustments are ridiculous.

User Info Menu

I have a perfect balance. My main pedal is a DW 9000, so consider that in what I have to say.

When I first got it, it really felt like a cheap toy. It squeaked in places I couldn't even figure out at first (turned out to be the heel-plate hinge, and a little grease fixed it up right).

I gave it a chance though, as I knew I was used to a really high end pedal, and this is not a high end pedal (sad as that is at around $300). Once I played around with settings and got something I liked, and got rid of the squeak, it's not so bad.

Don't expect the chrome finish to be shiny for long, it scratches up pretty quickly.

Overall, it is smooth, and does live up the to the promise of staying out of the way -- it lets your feet do the work, as it should. The really cool thing about it is how quickly it can be removed, and how easily it folds up into a small portable package (which is the reason I bought it -- for a minimalist kit that can travel easily). The act of removing it is what folds it up (and still maintains its settings), which I think is just pure genius, and the main selling point of this pedal.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Worth it if you want something portable, but might take some getting used to. If you're not looking for portability, this is probably not the pedal for you.
    Last edited by Mottster; 07-05-2016 at 06:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Holy Moly! you practice 8 hours a day?!! (40 hrs week)

User Info Menu

When I was shopping for a pedal(s), I despise this set up which most stores provide for potential shoppers. With nothing more than a piece of partial board for the beater to strike, in my opinion, it's a total failure on the part of a drum shop to provide nothing that comes close to a real kick drum batter when all you get is the rebound off of a piece of wood. Find a kit on the showroom floor and ask if there's any objections for a test drive and grab at least 3 pedals to try and compare. If a shop lacks any patients to provide you with this, walk out as I have done so many times and spent my $$ somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    I use an Axis direct drive single, very smooth,can be adjusted for very light feel,doubles/triples easy.Look on cl or ebay for good used,I got lucky found mine excellent condition for $40.. love the direct drive

Mike
    I really like direct drive pedals as well. I like my Pearl Demon direct drive, but in all honesty, I think I prefer the feel of my old Speed King. It's not as solid, but the lightness and responsiveness feels better to me. I'd like to try an Axis sometime.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Holy Moly! you practice 8 hours a day?!! (40 hrs week)
    It actually works out to 5.71428571 hours per day (i.e., there are 7 days in a week, not 5).

User Info Menu

DW9000 Nuff said