Thread: Arm Pain

User Info Menu

Default Arm Pain

Hey guys. I've been playing for quite a while, and just recently got into the metal scene. Our band puts on some pretty intense shows, but by about the third or forth song... I'm dead. I have built up techniques for when I get tired, but my biggest problem is my right shoulder. Aside from just cramping it feels extremely weak and.... well almost useless. I stretch and do "windmills" to get the blood going, but still... bad. Any little excercises or techniques or advice would be great. thanks

User Info Menu

Yoga

User Info Menu

how about that excellent exercise that everyone forgets... see a doctor, get an X-ray. Exercise your brain and go have your arm/shoulder looked at. You could be doing even more damage to ligaments, rotator cuff or any number of things by not having a professional take a peek. Nothing like a torn rotator cuff to ruin an otherwise excellent gig.
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Cool Arm pain

Quote Originally Posted by bobbylee View Post
    Hey guys. I've been playing for quite a while, and just recently got into the metal scene. Our band puts on some pretty intense shows, but by about the third or forth song... I'm dead. I have built up techniques for when I get tired, but my biggest problem is my right shoulder. Aside from just cramping it feels extremely weak and.... well almost useless. I stretch and do "windmills" to get the blood going, but still... bad. Any little excercises or techniques or advice would be great. thanks
    Welcome aboard, bobbylee!

I agree with Stix on checkin' with your doctor...I hope you're not goin' on stage playin' full tilt from the start, because, even with stretching and windmills, intense metal is askin' a lot from your arms, bro'.

It's like letting your car idle for a minute and then slammin' the pedal to the floorboard, and expecting it to run all day at 100 mph without havin' something blow out.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Bobbylee, I agree that you should see a doctor on this one. We can only guess about what might be wrong, but a doctor can pinpoint the problem. I'm a former chiropractor, and I would never try to diagnose a problem without x-rays and orthopedic testing. Anything less is a guess, and you can do that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

when my arm gets tired, it just reminds me that im using it too much and need to be using my wrists more...and then i do and get a lot more out of it..

and stretching regiments before playing would prolly be very good, especially for metal--even tho its not very metal to stretch hehe

User Info Menu

Default Age?

No one asked your age it could have a bearing on the pain. I filled in at a practice for a friend they play classic and hard rock so it was 2 hours of wide open. I did not like it a bit. After playing for many years I have 2 speeds I like for drumming medium and slow ! LOL!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I am 30

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem at one time or another. I would love to use my wrists more, but that doesn't make for the best "show". I'm trying to go into this without tearing myself apart. Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

My shoulders use to kill me!!!!!!!!!! Try this...take the shoulder pretty well out of the equation....When you practice put a small telephone book, or any book of a not so thick stature under your arms and hold them there...you will train yourself to NOT rely on your shoulders for all the work...This will also make you faster and more accurate as you will have to comp for the lack of shoulder movement...Also learn to use your fingers more when playing....But that's just my 2 cents...Also like they said earlier in this thread, your age has a lot to do with it as does your set up.