Thread: Concrete Room

User Info Menu

Default Concrete Room

So, my drums are set up in my basement, which is entirely concrete... walls, floor, everything. Any suggestions on how to quiet it down economically. My cymbals are piercing, and my bass booming.... I'm in a tight spot financially, and can't afford to build a room in a room, or even buy the big name foam stuff....

Oh yeah, and my basement is a full basement, same size as the upstairs of my house (1000 square feet-ish) and open, so... BIG room for sound to bounce around in!
    Last edited by Kryshah; 11-17-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I've played in a concrete room before.
    It seemed to help quite a bit if I hung some cotton sheets/blankets around the room... not against the walls, just off the ceiling a little ways away from the wall.
    O Bailan Todos, O No Baila Nadie

Pictures Of my Drums -- My Last.fm page

User Info Menu

Putting down some carpeting under the set and hanging things like old quilts, bedspreads, curtains,etc. around the room should help experiment with different placement in the room.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I thought about trying to cut down the size of the room too.... like hanging a curtain up between my music area and the rest of the basement... I think I'd have to invest a LOT into the ammount of fabric I would need though.

User Info Menu

how about office partitions? It would be good to get a hold of an office that is renovating and is ready to throw away their old partitions.

User Info Menu

wow... not a bad idea... I'll see about that, I'm sure its hard to find what offices are renovating currently though... I'll definately look into it though...

User Info Menu

Cool Concrete Room

Don't know if there's such a place in your area, but there are some stores in St. Louis that specialize in "recycled" office equipment including furniture and partition walls...might check in say the Richmond area?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

eh, richmond is a 6-8 hour drive from here... better off just saving the gas and buying the pro sound isolation divider thingies... another thing I thought of... is that we have a local factory that produces closed-cell foam... synthetic rubber I think, the stuff found on tennis shoe soles. I may see about getting some scraps from there.... thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

.............LOL it doesn't help that you have your set in the corner of your basement....You basically made a giant sound projector out of your house....CONGRATS!!!! But seriously...go to foodland or save a lot and get some cardboard....actually if you can get ahold of Joe Tanner over at Taylor Vandal Funeral Home...he can hook you up with the cardboard wrapping left over from grave vaults...Its about 8' long and 5'-6' wide....Either way cut the cardboard into respectable sizes, get a couple of old blankets, cut them to fit the cardboard sections and stick em up all over the place...Voila instant dampening!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Ok bro I gave this some thought....since you are on a budget go to either foodland/save a lot and get some cardboard....Or contact Joe Tanner over at the funeral home in Spencer, ask him for the cardboard that the casket vaults come in...Its about 8' long and 5'-6' wide.....rather thick I might add...Once you have said board-of-card cut it into respectable sizes....play around with the sizes all you wish....Once cut get some old blankets, cut...trim...and attach them to the cardboard...Attach them to the walls, ceiling, floor, wife, as needed....Not only is it cheap but it'll work like a charm.