Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of gear skyrocketing

User Info Menu

Default Re: Price of gear skyrocketing

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Went to L&M today. I picked up 3 pairs of promark 5a oak sticks. $18 a pair. I didn't check the 7a this time but last time I bought a pair, they were way less than $15. I'm willing to give the oaks a try though. They held up well for 747s.
    I had Billy Cobham's Oak 808's and loved them. I found a pair the other day under some other sticks I had stashed away years ago and sat down and played them and wow, nice definition and almost forgot how good they sound over hickory or maple sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    That happens on Tama and Mapex stands too. It can be frustrating, but I've always been able to make it work.
    The new TAMA Star series hardware has completely changed and eliminated that problem. There are a couple of other newly designed options on these stands that (to me) help justify the steep price. On the downside, that stand sells normally for 169.99 but I can sometimes find them discounted to 153.00.

Like all the Star series, they are beasts and not for wary back muscles.

I own 3 at that price.

Here's the top boom completely switched to support the two cymbals you see. If you look really close there are several pivot/adjustment points just on the top boom/assembly.

Star2 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That looks like a solid stand Bish. The top looks very impressive. Tama has some of the best hardware out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Eighteen bucks for a pair of freakin drumsticks?!!

At that point I'd start consider investing in a wood lathe and making my own, especially if you play that hard and go through sticks.

all the best...

User Info Menu

FBN I think it would be cheaper to pay the price in Canada than ordering from the U.S cause there would not be much difference in price after paying shipping, brokerage fees and money difference ( .30 on the dollar.) That is the price you pay for living in Canada. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    FBN I think it would be cheaper to pay the price in Canada than ordering from the U.S cause there would not be much difference in price after paying shipping, brokerage fees and money difference ( .30 on the dollar.) That is the price you pay for living in Canada. Just sayin.
    Exactly. Well, it's ok here

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just got to post. Used 1967 WMP Ludwig Super Classics, with 20" Med ride and 18" Thin crash and 14" hi-hats, Paiste 602 cymbals, and all hardware, hard fiber cases for all the drums and a trap case. $700.00 total. In 1970. Drum sticks, $1.10 a pair. Don't know the increase for inflation, but I figure the same set-up today in the same quality would go for around the $5000.00 mark. Drum sticks I buy now for about $9.00.

The price of everything is going up. I paid TWICE as much for my new truck a couple of years ago than my folks paid for their 1st house around the same time I got my drums.

But then again, I make more in a day now than my father made in a week.

Just wish I still had them Ludwigs!
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

I ordered the Gibraltar 5709 boom stand on Amazon today. It was a lot cheaper than at L&M. Can't wait!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I ordered the Gibraltar 5709 boom stand on Amazon today. It was a lot cheaper than at L&M. Can't wait!
    Bumping this up...did it show up yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bumping this up...did it show up yet?
    So I ordered it on the 11th. I thought it was almost here because it said expected from the 15th to the 28th. Just yesterday it started to ship. So for 14 days of waiting, nothing happened. I have no idea when it's arriving now. The tracking number doesn't work either.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Ordering online and delivery don't seem to work together lol. I have ordered a lot of stuff online and some companies are on the ball and you usually get it in their time frame. Most of the time it is the courier that is not organized and sometimes their tracking system sucks. Be patient it will arrive when you least expect it.

User Info Menu

The stand came in today. Exactly what I was expecting. A nice solid stand. One thing I really like about the Gibraltar stands is that they have a very thick boom arm.

Rich, I thought about the issues you had with your stand and saw that they have little cutouts where the boom meets the stand. It's hard to explain and I don't know if they changed the design, but it looks like they saw an issue and fixed it.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The stand came in today. Exactly what I was expecting. A nice solid stand. One thing I really like about the Gibraltar stands is that they have a very thick boom arm.

Rich, I thought about the issues you had with your stand and saw that they have little cutouts where the boom meets the stand. It's hard to explain and I don't know if they changed the design, but it looks like they saw an issue and fixed it.
    Looks Sweet Mike!! I need a few more stands to replace the flimsy PDP 800 series stands I bought two years ago that are already slipping at the telescoping yoke. It's good to know they notched out the hideaway tilter! I can see where the differences are from this pic:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Eighteen bucks for a pair of freakin drumsticks?!!

At that point I'd start consider investing in a wood lathe and making my own, especially if you play that hard and go through sticks.

all the best...
    I pay like 19 for a pair of pro-mark round tips at the local store.. mainly cause the place has been around since 1969 and i would rather give them a few extra bucks and maybe help them stay around longer

User Info Menu

I just thought I would chime in on this discussion. I have been shopping for my guitar gear for nearly 20 years online and that usually means cross-border. I figured out how to get the lowest prices on everything, particularly used gear. Since I got into drums 3 months ago, I tried all the same techniques but the exchange rate is really bad lately.

Much to my surprise, Long & McQuade have somehow managed to reflect this change in their pricing store-wide. That is what's shocking to me. It's a given that canadians are gouged for almost everything but I've never seen this kind of thing before where I can't save much at all using my tried & true tricks. I actually bought new heads, sticks and a few other things in a brick & mortar L&M or the first time in ages because I couldn't do any better (or not significantly).

My only point is that you're not dreaming. As the price of oil goes, the canadian dollar goes generally because the oil sands contribute so much to our economy.

User Info Menu

All hardware prices went up again at Long and Mcquade....a lot. Next time I go in I bet they'll be over $100. I remember when they were $45. Now they're 66!

-Mike

User Info Menu

@veafer, $1.10 sticks would be about 7 today http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Increase in pricing comes from a lot of things, my guess a decent amount from corporate bloat (ie the marketing dept),and the fact that hardware today is much more robust, which makes it more costly. Side note on that, if a basher like Bonham didn't need such robustness, why do you?

Of course guys, you are all in the US, with lovely lovely craigslist, and even over here, where this stuff is a bit more expensive, you can get HW for about half of retail. And guys, IT"S HARDWARE!!! your eyes tell you if its ok...

I feel like this is one of those conversations i hear, "back in communism, beer only cost 1 crown..."

User Info Menu

Yeah, used is the way to go when possible. I just ordered a Tama RoadPro boom stand from a GC store that was a display model. Other than the cymbal sleeve it was brand new and only $48...and I've gotten RoadPros for less than that in the past too. If it's a well-known line there will be more floating around used. If you need a more specialized piece it's less likely.

User Info Menu

thats why I like to look on Kijiji for used gear, so far I've found a few god stands for a decent price, good deals to be found

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    thats why I like to look on Kijiji for used gear, so far I've found a few god stands for a decent price, good deals to be found
    I bought my drums and ride on kijiji. Some great deals

-Mike