Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What cymbal polish do you recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What cymbal polish do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I pour some powder in a beer glass, add water, mix into a very thin paiste and paint on with an old brush. Leave for a couple of minutes then rinse off.

I've never seen the liquid version - but it sounds easier than the powdered stuff (which is really easy and fast) - but I'd be tempted to dilute it as its very strong. Its also dirt cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I use the method shown in the video posted by EddieV. Only difference is I don't put the cymbal directly on the concrete, I set it on a towel.
    Thanks! I'll pick some up tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I tried ketchup on a ZBT - it discoloured the protective coat and left a slightly milky looking haze. It worked well on B20 though and like Kay-gee said, didn't affect logos.
    This is why I'd by-pass the ketchup and just go for the straight vinegar. Ketchup has other ingredients as well, namely sugar! Vinegar is cheap and plentiful. Keep a gallon around here all the time to de-calcify pots and coffee maker etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

My current set of cymbals I bought new in 2011. Zildjian A Customs. I've used this since then and they still look as they did when I bought them. Wipe on , rinse off, towel dry. May not be recommended for all cymbals, works great on mine.

User Info Menu

I use the method shown in the video posted by EddieV. Only difference is I don't put the cymbal directly on the concrete, I set it on a towel.
    Lol....I took a lot of mean comments on youtube for that.

What most people don't know is that my concrete driveway finish was ground so smooth that I could lay tile on it if I wanted to. It's so smooth that when it's wet it's actually dangerously slippery.

I've almost broken my neck a few times.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I found the powder today. I'm about to try it on my cymbals. Pics soon.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Lol....I took a lot of mean comments on youtube for that.

What most people don't know is that my concrete driveway finish was ground so smooth that I could lay tile on it if I wanted to. It's so smooth that when it's wet it's actually dangerously slippery.

I've almost broken my neck a few times.
    Haha That's cool. I clean my cymbals on my front patio, which is no where near that smooth.

Being in PHX, I bet it's safe to say that your driveway isn't wet very often.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I found the powder today. I'm about to try it on my cymbals. Pics soon.
    Looking forward to the pics.

User Info Menu

before:

after:

-Mike

User Info Menu

before:

after:

-Mike

User Info Menu

Before:

After:

-Mike

User Info Menu

What an incredible product. Very little effort in very little time. I taped over the logos with regular painter tape. $2 for a can that probably works even better than an actual cymbal cleaner. Very satisfied with the results! The lighting kind of changed after I washed the China so it looks better than it is.

-Mike

User Info Menu

^^^^^ pictures aren't visible......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    ^^^^^ pictures aren't visible......

Jim
    How about now?

-Mike

User Info Menu

How about now?
    I see them ok. Good result.

User Info Menu

I pour some powder in a beer glass, add water, mix into a very thin paiste and paint on with an old brush. Leave for a couple of minutes then rinse off.
    I use just about the same tools but go about it differently. I pour the powder in the sink, rinse it down the drain with water, hit the cymbal with brushes, drink a beer and leave after a couple minutes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I use just about the same tools but go about it differently. I pour the powder in the sink, rinse it down the drain with water, hit the cymbal with brushes, drink a beer and leave after a couple minutes.
    That method sounds even better. I'll have to try it, several times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    One beer per cymbal? I like that idea. I'm going to need more beer...

User Info Menu

I clean my cymbals in 2 steps .
    First I apply a bar keepers friend paste and rub it in to the cymbal going along the lathing.after rinsing and drying off I apply a pad of never dull to polish it up. I e found that combo to work the best for me out of all the different methods I've tried.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

I would use the manufacturer cleaner first. I've heard Bar Keeper's does the job if the first choice isn't available.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
    I would use the manufacturer cleaner first. I've heard Bar Keeper's does the job if the first choice isn't available.
    I've tried both Zildjian polish and Sabian polish. In my experience, Barkeepers Friend works A LOT better.

User Info Menu

I've tried both Zildjian polish and Sabian polish. In my experience, Barkeepers Friend works A LOT better.
    Bkf didn't take the logo off of my China. Didn't even harm it!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I own XS20's and when they were new, I only used Sabian cymbal polish. It is hard to find here now, so I switched to Music Nomad's cymbal polish, and it works great and is easy to use. Seems to be easy on logo's also.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

lemon juice, or that lemon stuff they sell in plastic bottles

User Info Menu

Anyone put a coating on the cymbal after? I guess it takes the coating off of the cymbal and is susceptible to the moisture in the air. I can see a bit of an orange tint developing. The part where I taped the logos off is now brighter than what I actually cleaned.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Anyone put a coating on the cymbal after? I guess it takes the coating off of the cymbal and is susceptible to the moisture in the air. I can see a bit of an orange tint developing. The part where I taped the logos off is now brighter than what I actually cleaned.
    Sorry I'm late Mike, just catching up and yes, after a good polishing I use Paiste's Cymbal Protector. I'm in the garage Mike and although the kit is covered, there's never enough insulation around the garage door to keep the cold and moisture out during the winter months. Living in Northern California, our garages don't need to be heated but it does get cold enough in the winter to create havoc on my cymbals that I use in the garage that's exposed to the outside air when the door is rolled open.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. The cymbal in the picture was polished a month ago along with adding the Paiste Cymbal Protector polish after I buffed off the cleaner.