Thread: Best $29 I've ever spent

User Info Menu

Default Best $29 I've ever spent

I went into my usual music store today with the intention of just buying a new beater. The Danmar I wanted was $22ish. Picked it up and was heading for the register when this caught my eye. I know nothing about it, didn't even really look for a model name or whatever. I did notice it was belt or strap driven vs. chain. Anyway, for $29 I figured I couldn't go wrong. Btw this is a new pedal (came with the Danmar beater) and there were two of them on the shelf.

So I brought it home, put in on my practice kit and gave it about an hour workout. Am I missing something here? I love this thing. Why the heck is it so cheap and why the heck have I paid a boat-load more for other pedals? Seriously, after I got this pedal adjusted to my liking...I'm really liking...

I'm going back tomorrow to get the other one, if it's still there.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best $29 I've ever spent

Cool! I have one almost exactly like it. Old Tama with belt/strap drive. I haven't used it since the '90s, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Cool! I have one almost exactly like it. Old Tama with belt/strap drive. I haven't used it since the '90s, LOL.
    Haha. I almost added in my post that these appear to have recently been found tucked in a back room/warehouse or something. I can't find anything on the web about them.

User Info Menu

The Tama catalog back in 91/92 had this pedal featured along with two other pedals. I believe Vinny Appice was endorsing it. Even back then they were hard to find. I remember people complaining about the strap possibly wearing out compared to the chain driven pedals.

User Info Menu

If I recall, my footboard is black & silver (?). Otherwise it looks the same. It was the original pedal that came with my '80s MIJ Swingstars. I had the strap replaced once...it actually wore out. The embarrassing part is I took it in to the music store and had it replaced, LOL. Now, I make everything myself.

Funny how the "entry level" '80s Tama hardware is still going after 30yrs!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

Funny how the "entry level" '80s Tama hardware is still going after 30yrs!
    That's TAMA for you. Best kept quality secret for 40 years.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice score! I think I know why you like this pedal so much. It's rooted deep in DW/Camco history. When Camco Drum Co. went bankrupt, Hoshino Gakki, the founder of Tama, went in with DW and bought the bankrupt company. As part of the deal, DW received the Camco tooling and manufacturing equipment while Tama received the Camco name, designs, engineering and patent rights.

At the time, the Camco pedal was thought to be the best on the market so DW rebadged it as the DW5000. Tama produced the exact pedal but kept the Camco name but added "by Tama" on the footboard

By looking at the 1977 catalog, Tama changed the design of the footboard and introduced the King Beat pedal which looks similar to the direct drive designs of today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice score! I think I know why you like this pedal so much. It's rooted deep in DW/Camco history. When Camco Drum Co. went bankrupt, Hoshino Gakki, the founder of Tama, went in with DW and bought the bankrupt company. As part of the deal, DW received the Camco tooling and manufacturing equipment while Tama received the Camco name, designs, engineering and patent rights.

At the time, the Camco pedal was thought to be the best on the market so DW rebadged it as the DW5000. Tama produced the exact pedal but kept the Camco name but added "by Tama" on the footboard

By looking at the 1977 catalog, Tama changed the design of the footboard and introduced the King Beat pedal which looks similar to the direct drive designs of today.

Awesome as usual. I didn't know that. Thanks, Rich!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've got the Gretsch one. I'm pretty sure it was made by Camco. It looks just like the pedal on the right in Late8's post.

I've always believed you don't have to spend a pile of money for quality stuff. I payed $49 for my Gibraltar strap drive and it's as good as any pedal I've played. Never tried many of those really expensive ones except just on the floor of a store or something. All pedals to me work on a common principle. A lever and a spring.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Sometimes the least expensive gear can be amazing and it can also hold up much longer than some higher end stuff.

User Info Menu

I believe the Tama strap drive pedal in the OP is a Flexi Flier.

User Info Menu

Hey kay-gee here's mine. It's old I've done some mods on it like a dw sealed bearing and I made a strap w/a leather belt. I never use it but it works great! good for a back up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    sometimes the least expensive gear can be amazing and it can also hold up much longer than some higher end stuff.
    +1!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Hey kay-gee here's mine. It's old I've done some mods on it like a dw sealed bearing and I made a strap w/a leather belt. I never use it but it works great! good for a back up.
    OMG That's exactly like mine down to the color of the leather (also made from a belt) and the beater.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have one of those in close to new condition. Unfortunately, old design, no fancy gizmos, not a double pedal, whatever, you can barely give these away let alone sell them.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

http://
    I believe this was bought with my 1975 kit,still works great,fast, although the heelplate hinge is kinda loose.I just replaced the pedal with an Axis single direct drive that I got a smokin deal on
    Last edited by myk; 07-09-2016 at 04:23 PM.

User Info Menu