Drum Domains

Thread: Switching from p pad to real drum problem?

User Info Menu

Default Switching from p pad to real drum problem?

So been practicing a lot on p pad and got all my hand movements working great, good rebound, on time etc, but notice when I try those exercises on my snare drum it doesn't work the same. Wonder if this is common or is there a way to adjust the head on my drum to be closer to the pad. I'm using an older kinda softish remo pad.
    Last edited by NikoSeven; 07-09-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Stupid spellchecker again
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Switching from p pad to real drum problem?

This is a problem for me too. I spend more time on the pad than I do on the drums these days and it is often a let down when I think I am going to float around the kit but I sink instead. I end up re-practicing the same stuff to get it up to workable instead of having fun on the kit with what I thought I practiced.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Some practice pads can have a very different feel compared to a drum. I have a Vic forth pad and there's a lot more bounce. If you were to practice on one of those and move to the toms, it won't be so great because the heads aren't tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    This is a problem for me too. I spend more time on the pad than I do on the drums these days and it is often a let down when I think I am going to float around the kit but I sink instead. I end up re-practicing the same stuff to get it up to workable instead of having fun on the kit with what I thought I practiced.
    Ok, thanks! Glad to know its not just me. No one likes to suffer alone! Lol
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

I've often heard other drummers call it "pad hands." There's just so much rebound it won't be the same. My rudiments are so strong on a pad but on a snare I can be pretty weak until I sit at the drum for a little bit.

User Info Menu

Yes, that and the fact that there's no movement on a pad, you're playing 1 drum (unless you have a full pad kit)...I have a kit set up with all mesh heads, more lively than practice pads, man I rock on that kit, but real heads don't rebound anywhere near as much as mesh heads...there ya go.....

User Info Menu

You are feeling and hearing a very different sound from a pad vs drum, especially with a snare.

Maybe tighten the head (for the feel) and and muffle it (for the sound) ?

Playing closer to the rim may also help.

User Info Menu

Don't rely on rebound ALL the time.

Watch this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpfz1iGvbEM

Getting a tom head to act like a practice pad is just 'tail wagging the dog' stuff. Please tell me see how silly this sounds.
    Last edited by EyePea; 07-14-2016 at 04:21 AM.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch)
    Premier Artist Maple (with Birch Snare) - yellow/fusion.
    Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76)
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste Signature:
    10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18", 20" Full Crash

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride

Paiste Sound Formula:
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)