Thread: Best Evans Clear Head for Hard Rock / Metal

User Info Menu

Default Best Evans Clear Head for Hard Rock / Metal

Friends,

I have a great new DW set but want to try some new heads on my toms, I have always been a big evans fan. I play hard rock and medium hard with a promark 2B oak stick. The drums are oak and I want to put a black 7.5 mil on the resonant heads. I want the fullest, loudest, open sound. The G1 sound best on evans site but they may be too delicate for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not like coated heads on the toms

I wish they had an uncoated white or single ply black, but looks like clear is my only option.

Thanks in advance! How do you post pics here????
    Robert Garven
    Howling our metal, We light up the world.
    And the banner of Ungol is proudly unfurled.
    Raising our legion, and now you belong,
    And the point of the blade will be screaming our song!

Join the Legion / Paradise Lost / 1991
    Cirith Ungol

Follow the band on:
    Facebook: http://ww.facebook.com/robert.garven.cirith.ungol
    http://facebook.com/cirithungolofficial
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/cirithungolband
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/CirithU

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best Evans Clear Head for Hard Rock / Metal

The best combination I've found for the best resonance is a 2ply head over a single ply. So the g2 over a g1 will give you a very full sound. I find that two single ply heads are harder to tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I like ec2s or g2s.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Hi there!

Regarding pictures, here is a link to a thread about how to post images: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...osting+picture

I have tried a bunch of different head combos myself, Evans and Remo, and I have gone back to the 'old standby', Evans G1 Clear Reso heads and Evans G2 Clear Batter heads.

I noted that you said you have DW Oak drums. I gather your drum set must be really new then, given that DW's latest drum sets are the oak ones. I have a DW cherry drum set, myself. I bet your Oak drums are beautiful, hope you can post some pictures soon! I have a wide variety of sticks, but I really like the ProMark 2B oak sticks quite a bit, like you wrote that you play. I like any of the ProMark oak sticks better than the common hickory sticks. I guess it's the weight/density that I find most appealing.

As I wrote, I've tried a lot of combinations, but the G2 over G1, both clear, seems the best for me. I have 5 toms, 10" and 12" rack toms, and 14", 16" and 18" floor toms. I found that in order to get the 10" tom to have the same 'type' of sound as the rest of them, I had to put a G1 as the batter head on that tom as well, so it's a G1 over G1 for that tom. If you like the single ply as the batter head, Evans does make a G12 and G14 single ply head, with 12 and 14 mil thickness for extra durability, which may address your concerns in that area. But I think I'd try the G2 clear heads, as FlyByNight suggested. I can't speak for the black 7.5 mil reso heads, though, as I haven't tried those, but I understand that the thinner reso head tends to have slightly less sustain than a thicker reso head (G1 clears are 10 mils). But I don't have any experience to be able to tell you whether that's true or not.

I tried to use Evans EC2 batter heads, which have built in dampening rings, but I could never get them to sound right on my drum set. I'd really give the G2 clears a shot before anything else.
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-09-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I currently have clear G2 over G1 on my birch Premier Artist Birch (10/12/14) and my Pearl Forum (12/13/16) sets. I'm happy with the results EXCEPT for the 10" tom - just like Cabasner has experienced, my 10" tom has noticeably less resonance. At the moment I've removed it and play 1 up, 1 down - if I put it back I'll fit a G1 or G12.

Except for stock heads, the only other batters I've used are Pinstripes - they are ok for masking the overtones of the power tom depth toms of my cheapo, poplar Pearls, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them for small toms (or good drums!).

I have minimal experience of different heads, but I prefer the G2/G1 to Pins/Ambo.

User Info Menu

Two ply over one ply. I've tried many many combinations over the years and keep ending up here. I use Remo Emperors over Ambassadors. If you want to go Evans, it's G2s over G1s. Nothing sexy about those heads but they just plain sound great.

User Info Menu

Just to be clear, crispy did a fine job in articulating the issue with my 10" tom...with a G2 batter head, there is significantly less resonance with the 10" compared to the rest of my toms, which seems to be mostly restored with a G1 as a batter head. I am a light hitter, so the G1 as a batter, in particular for the 10" tom, is not a problem from a resilience point of view.

Also, I know you expressed a preference for Evans heads, BUT Remo makes a single ply 10mil in reflective black, the Ambassador Ebony head, which you could use as batters. Or, alternately, for a REALLY great look, with some significant resilience, maybe you'd want to consider the Controlled Sound Clear Black Dot. I know that some heavy cats have played these heads as both batter and reso heads, such as Tony Williams, Steve Smith, and even Charlie Watts. My last recommendation is the Evans Black Chrome for your batter heads, with the Evans black reso heads you want to use. I tried the Black Chromes, and they are beautiful looking heads, and they are full sounding heads, but deep. Not quite as full sounding as a G2, for instance. I really did like the Black Chromes, and if visual is as important as the sound, you may want to try them.
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-10-2016 at 08:14 AM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    i like ec2s or g2s.
    ^
    +1

User Info Menu

Thanks to all. You can see my new set and some new & old pics in my album if you click on my profile.

The reason I want the black bottoms is for looks when you see my set you will understand. I even had DW make my bass hoops to match the steering wheel on my Ferrari..... It has to sound good but want it to look good as well!

I appreciate all the help if you read my intro I have been on hold for 20 years, now back in the saddle so to speak, allot has stayed the same but head technology has changed a bit, and I will be needed allot more advice!!!

Thanks again to all who responded.

Rob

Last edited by robertgarven; 07-10-2016 at 01:53 AM.
    Robert Garven

Cirith Ungol

Follow the band on:

User Info Menu

Very pretty kit! Hard to tell the finish, though it looks red. I'm guessing it's a lacquer finish and not a Finish Ply (wrap), but could you tell us what finish you have? My cherry kit has natural cherry under gloss lacquer....I love the look of the wood, without anything getting in the way. The kit is shown here, near the bottom of the page, with the original DW heads still on them: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ghlight=cherry

I like the (leather?) bass drum rims. What sizes are the drums? I'd guess 10, 12, 14, 16 and 22 bass x 2?

User Info Menu

Cabasner,

They are oak with a very thin maple outer ply to hold the lacquer
    coat smooth. I had them paint it matching a Ferrari paint code Chairo Rosso. I am a big Ferrari fan. At the factory they had a sample of a kit they made for Nick Mason as he is a big Ferrari fan also will post a pic. I was endorsed by Ludwig, and Tamma in the past and the birch tama kit I had was a straight lacquer red. I wanted to keep as much of the shell tone as possible, without a wrap. If you look at my profile you can see one of my favorite, SS ludwig drums, given to me by W.F.Ludwig Jr.!

You set looks fantastic. I love the look of the natural wood also, but for what I am doing, I wanted it to match my personality, which is red/black! HA

12,13,14,16, 5.5x14, 18x22. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the 16x22 though.
    Robert Garven

Cirith Ungol

Follow the band on:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertgarven View Post
    Friends,

I have a great new DW set but want to try some new heads on my toms, I have always been a big evans fan. I play hard rock and medium hard with a promark 2B oak stick. The drums are oak and I want to put a black 7.5 mil on the resonant heads. I want the fullest, loudest, open sound. The G1 sound best on evans site but they may be too delicate for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do not like coated heads on the toms

I wish they had an uncoated white or single ply black, but looks like clear is my only option.

Thanks in advance! How do you post pics here????
    How do you tune your toms? I mean in terms of your preference. What's the difference between reso and batter? That's will be important to know before you chose a head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertgarven View Post
    Cabasner,

They are oak with a very thin maple outer ply to hold the lacquer
    coat smooth. I had them paint it matching a Ferrari paint code Chairo Rosso. I am a big Ferrari fan. At the factory they had a sample of a kit they made for Nick Mason as he is a big Ferrari fan also will post a pic. I was endorsed by Ludwig, and Tamma in the past and the birch tama kit I had was a straight lacquer red. I wanted to keep as much of the shell tone as possible, without a wrap. If you look at my profile you can see one of my favorite, SS ludwig drums, given to me by W.F.Ludwig Jr.!

You set looks fantastic. I love the look of the natural wood also, but for what I am doing, I wanted it to match my personality, which is red/black! HA

12,13,14,16, 5.5x14, 18x22. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the 16x22 though.
    Rob, thanks for your kind words about my drum set. I had a Broken Glass Finish Ply DW set before I got this cherry set. It had a 18"x20" bass drum, and I really wanted to try a 22" diameter after playing the 20". I thought the 18" was awfully deep, however, plus I'd done a lot of reading which led me to believe that a shorter depth drum would result in a more rapid column of air and a different tone. Thus, I went with the 16" depth...not to mention that the weight of a cherry 22"x18" would be getting prohibitively heavy. I'm very happy with the 16"x22".

I'm also really happy to have a 2 up 3 down option, with those beasts of floor toms, 14"x16" and 16"x18"; the 16"x18" is almost a bass drum itself. I was always impressed with Tony Williams and his 3 down setup. Honestly, I really figured it would be cool to just have a 2 down set, but be able to vary the sizes, 14 and 16, 16 and 18, and 14 and 18. I can't bring myself to set one of the toms aside, though.

Going back over the same story I've already told in this thread about the heads I've tried... I was having some serious troubles in tuning these drums though, when I first got them, and then recently when trying a bunch of different heads, just for fun. The fun rapidly went out of it, though, when I couldn't get them to tune right with any of the different heads, several tries with a variety of Remo heads, then Evans clear EC2s batters over clear EC reso heads...in fact, it was so maddening last week, I was close to just giving up entirely. But I finally managed to get them back to where I like them, and I should now know better than to ever go away from Evans clear G2 batters over clear G1 reso heads. I may get adventurous again one day, but only by trying coated G2s. I've never played coated heads, ever, and wouldn't mind giving that a shot. But hoping that it would not be too much of a tuning challenge to go from clear G2s to coated G2s. I have a whole brand new bunch of coated G2s and clear G1s, for all 5 toms. Maybe some day I'll try those. But I admit that part of me likes the aesthetics of the clear batter and reso heads, so I can see the cherry wood on the inside of the drums.

One other thing...I've not yet tried the Remo 2 ply clear batter heads over the Remo single heads, which are in essence the same as the Evan G2 over G1s. I have them, but never tried them. Maybe, again, if I am in the mood for pain again, I'll try those. One set of heads I've always been intrigued with are the Remo black dot heads, which Tony Williams (and Steve Smith) used to use. I did have a set of Evans Black Chrome batters that I used over clear G1s which tuned up fine. Maybe back to those one day, too. They really have a different sound, and look fabulous as hell!
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-15-2016 at 10:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Go with the Evans EC2's. The drummers that I know use them for heavy metal and they hold up the best.