Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seemingly simple song kicking my butt!! Arrgghhh

User Info Menu

Default Seemingly simple song kicking my butt!! Arrgghhh

WOW, Some guys I play with decided they wanted to do Ten seconds to love by Motley crue this week and man while it sounds so simple it is kicking my butt. I can easily cheat and and do it by stopping the beat and crashing but it does not sound right and it's driving me crazy. What am I missing here? I cannot seem to keep the beat going while doing it. I hear 1/4 notes on the hats, snare on 2 and 4 and bass drum on 1 and 3 but the snare/crash hit at the end of the measure is throwing me for a loop? right around 0:19, keeps doing it throughout the song but the 1st one is at :19

Man sometimes when I start to think I have the easy stuff down something like this always pops up and knocks me wayyyy back down again.. ughhh. Any help would be appreciated. I cannot find any sheet music on it either.

Last edited by MDK; 07-12-2016 at 07:59 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Seemingly simple song kicking my butt!! Arrgghhh

Hit the snare and your cymbal on 4+. Don't change anything you're doing except that.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it's just that the cymbal crash is on the "and" of 4 (?) Sounds simple enough, but I'd have to actually try it. I tend to unconsciously hit the kick drum every time I hit a cymbal. That would probably throw me off unless I doubled up the kick to the "and" of 4 and then 1.

I know how you feel. When we started playing CCR's version of "Grapevine" It took me a while to get used to hitting the crash in the proper place. As basic of a beat as it gets, but sometimes you have to unlearn muscle memory.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Both guys above are correct.

Feels funny if you are not used to it.............easy once you get it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Kind of sounds like he is actually not hitting the snare on 4 and holding it till the and of 4? when he does that? Every other time he is hitting the snare on 4. Does that make sense? Man I am even having a hard time writing it out. LOL
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm bored. Hope this helps you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I'm bored. Hope this helps you.

Thanks man you make it look so simple I kind of feel stupid for asking it...LOL

However I do not think he is hitting the snare on both the 4 &, it almost sounds like he is not hitting the snare on 4 just the and of 4 when he does that crash? and then the next measure when there is no crash he is hitting the snare on 4 again. Thoughts?

Thanks again for taking the time to make that video, I really appreciate it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks man you make it look so simple I kind of feel stupid for asking it...LOL

However I do not think he is hitting the snare on both the 4 &, it almost sounds like he is not hitting the snare on 4 just the and of 4 when he does that crash? and then the next measure when there is no crash he is hitting the snare on 4 again. Thoughts?

Thanks again for taking the time to make that video, I really appreciate it.
    You're welcome. There are no stupid questions when you're trying to learn something.

I went back and listened to it again more carefully. There are a couple of instances where the basic pattern is altered. Doesn't matter. I would just practice the basic pattern until you become comfortable with it then work on the variations later.

User Info Menu

I hear the snare on 4 and the "and" of 4. The accent is on the and with re-enforcement from the crash.

User Info Menu

I didn't hear the snare on the 4+ at first. After listening again, I think it is on both 4 and 4+.......with accent on the 4+. Either way, unless the guitar player nails that note on the 4+, it wont matter what you play, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Or is it on "and" of & 1?
    Last edited by slinglander; 07-12-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added txt
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Definitely not. I see what you're trying to do here.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 07-12-2016 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I like everyone elses answer much better than this one..
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Play it the way you feel it. If someone says that you didn't play it like it is on the record/CD, whatever, tell them what I told them for decades:

" If you want the song to sound exactly like it is on the record/CD, buy the damn record/CD, stay home and listen to it and save yourself a lot of money, or go find a tribute band".

Leave the 1 and a 2 and a....................to Lawrence Welk.

This isn't now, nor will it ever be, rocket science

User Info Menu

I like everyone elses answer much better than this one..
    It's the same! I just favor "1"
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Play it the way you feel it. If someone says that you didn't play it like it is on the record/CD, whatever, tell them what I told them for decades:

" If you want the song to sound exactly like it is on the record/CD, buy the damn record/CD, stay home and listen to it and save yourself a lot of money, or go find a tribute band".

Yeah I get all that Rick, I just want to learn how it was originally done is all.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Love it!!

User Info Menu

You're absolutely right, it isn't, and you're also right about stuff not having to always be a perfect replication of the original, but, the guy was just trying to get a little help trying to learn something. Not everyone is on the same level. What may be very easy for folks like you and me might be a bit of a challenge for some others. Learning stuff the way it's originally done is the first step to taking that same material and then playing it your own way. You have to crawl before you can walk. I applaud the fact that he got on here to ask for a little help. I also respect your outstanding drumming ability as well Rick, so please don't take this comment the wrong way.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 07-13-2016 at 07:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You're absolutely right, it isn't, and you're also right about stuff not having to always be a perfect replication of the original, but, the guy was just trying to get a little help trying to learn something. Not everyone is on the same level. What may be very easy for folks like you and me might be a bit of a challenge for some others. Learning stuff the way it's originally done is the first step to taking that same material and then playing it your own way. You have to crawl before you can walk. I applaud the fact that he got on here to ask for a little help. I also respect your outstanding drumming ability as well Rick, so please don't take this comment the wrong way.

No offense taken. I know where MDK is coming from. Back in the day, I and/or the band, always wanted to get things right. Be it the guitar part, bass part, keyboard, or drum part. It was hard back in the '60's and '70's to get the parts right off a 45. I remember 4 of us sitting on the floor trying to get the words to "Jumpin Jack Flash". We got about 90% of the words, but there was that 10% that we just had different lyrics to each night.

In those days we lived by the "fake it till you make it" rule.

User Info Menu

Kind of sounds like he is actually not hitting the snare on 4 and holding it till the and of 4? when he does that? Every other time he is hitting the snare on 4. Does that make sense? Man I am even having a hard time writing it out. LOL
    On first listen, it sounds to me like the snare is with the cymbal on and.

Your natural instinct may be, snare on 4, cymbal on and. Just hold up on 4 and hit with the cymbal on and. Simple once you run thru it a few times and remember where to do it

User Info Menu

Yeah I get all that Rick, I just want to learn how it was originally done is all.
    I only recently started doing this a couple/few years ago. Hell, in the olden days, I didn't even necessarily/consciously listen to the kick pattern.

Now I have a lot more time to spend on songs so, using recording software, I will often loop a segment and map out tricky parts with a midi controller then use the visual notes to help me learn to play it comfortably.

I recently did this with, of all things, AC/DC song. It can EASILY be played straight through with crash accents wherever you want to put them. I just thought, what the hell, I might as well play it "right". Maybe some day, somewhere, someone will notice it

Drummers have it easy. Our band mates seem to never really know if we are playing the "right" parts or not. All they know is where the bada boom part should be

User Info Menu

just play the kick on every beat during the parts with the little breaks. that should keep you in time and have it sounding right
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

No offense taken. I know where MDK is coming from. Back in the day, I and/or the band, always wanted to get things right. Be it the guitar part, bass part, keyboard, or drum part. It was hard back in the '60's and '70's to get the parts right off a 45. I remember 4 of us sitting on the floor trying to get the words to "Jumpin Jack Flash". We got about 90% of the words, but there was that 10% that we just had different lyrics to each night.

In those days we lived by the "fake it till you make it" rule.
    Now that takes me back! I remember wearing out records by jumping the needle back over and over trying to catch a lyric or word. Sure makes a guy appreciate the internet.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    just play the kick on every beat during the parts with the little breaks. that should keep you in time and have it sounding right
    ding ding ding!!!! I think on those parts leading up to it he goes from the BD on 1 and 3 to the BD on all 1/4 notes and holds the snare till the and of 4 with the crash.. any other way does not sound right to me.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Now that takes me back! I remember wearing out records by jumping the needle back over and over trying to catch a lyric or word. Sure makes a guy appreciate the internet.

all the best...

Et Tu kay-gee