Thread: Big Gig Follow-Up

User Info Menu

Default Big Gig Follow-Up

Last Saturday night went very well -- big crowd -- good weather -- many Valentine's partiers -- the sound system was top-notch -- and last but not least, the band played well.
    [And we got it all on video..............I am told the format needs conversion with edits and we will post something on Youtube soon.]

We had a good night.....................and so did the cash register.
    The place was crowded to the point the bar staff had trouble keeping up.
    Don't you just hate that ?
    I was told even the restaurant was still crowded at 10:30pm.

I am now trying to get multiple bookings to cover the calendar for the remainder of the year.
    Hoping for a gig every other month.

Many thanks to all my well-wishing friends here at DC,
    Richard
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Big Gig Follow-Up

Ricardo,
    Thanks for the follow up and congrats on a great gig. Sounds like you guys really did well and hopefully the venue owner recognizes it too. It's nice when everything comes together on the same gig night.

Tex

User Info Menu

That's great ! Word will get out and I'm sure you'll get more gigs . Keep up the good work .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

way to go that's great to hear!

User Info Menu

Fantastic! Sounds like it went exactly as I expected it would. That's what happens when you put a top-notch band in a top-notch venue. Can't wait to see one of the videos!

You brought up a good point about the bar keeping up. I've noticed at some gigs that they have plenty of bartenders & waitresses making the rounds. Those times, the crowd tends to stick around all night and drink & dance. Other places only have minimum staff...even with a band playing. People get tired of walking up to the bar, standing in line or waiting on drinks. In those circumstances, almost always, the crowd thins outs as the evening progresses. It gets frustrating at times. We work hard to keep the people engaged and having fun. We try to bring them in and keep them from leaving, but the bar doesn't capitalize on the opportunity. Then again, maybe our playing drives them away, IDK.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We played another gig Friday night.
    This was a smaller venue (150) on the West side of town.

We had a different sound-man this time and he never got it right...........my monitors had nothing for the first four songs............I did get a little vocal after that.
    The other monitors squealed all night and at one point, all of the vocals went out for 15 or 20 seconds in the middle of a really great tune.
    One of my guitarists told me the monitors threw him off a little bit and he didn't play well...............nobody knew however.
    Thankfully (according to a friend of mine in the audience), the sound in the mains out front was good.

The band played good...............not great.
    Funny how one week can make a difference.
    The gig was a success, but it should have been better.

We are booked in that same club again in April -- we have already made it clear that we prefer the sound-man we had previously at our first gig there...........he had a nearly flawless night.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    We are booked in that same club again in April -- we have already made it clear that we prefer the sound-man we had previously at our first gig there...........he had a nearly flawless night.
    I feel your pain. We also play venues that contract out sound reinforcement from local companies. Sometimes we have a great sound man and sometimes we don't ... most of the time it's somewhere in between ...

Hopefully, you guys will get the sound man you requested or another one who knows what he's doing ...

User Info Menu

Glad the gig went well, but, I have a different question for you.

I've been trying to remember the name of a bar in Dallas. If I remember right, there was a small bar on the 1st floor, or you could go upstairs where there was a bigger bar and people would watch over the railing as people would try to ride the bucking bronco or bull, whatever they called it.

I remember Bar Z, Shooters, where I would go practice my pool game, a couple of other clubs that I remember what they looked like, and a place called (I know I'm going to spell this wrong) something like the Sze Yuan Dynasty, which had some of the best Chinese food I've ever had. I'm pretty sure that restaurant was close to North Park Mall.

I've been trying to remember the name of that bar for a couple of weeks, and it just won't come to me. Does it sound familiar to you?
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 07-22-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: ====

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Glad the gig went well, but, I have a different question for you.
    I've been trying to remember the name of a bar in Dallas. If I remember right, there was a small bar on the 1st floor, or you could go upstairs where there was a bigger bar and people would watch over the railing as people would try to ride the bucking bronco or bull, whatever they called it.
    I've been trying to remember the name of that bar for a couple of weeks, and it just won't come to me. Does it sound familiar to you?
    Well....................
    Back then (1975-78), I was playing Zeppelin, Purple, Jeff Beck, etc. and never in attendance at the C&W bars. We were playing Sneaky Pete's, Mother Blues, Gertie's and Binary Star.
    But I do remember some bars that had the mechanical bulls because that was a popular item then. Could it have been Billy Bob's ? Gilley's ? Trophy Room ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Well....................
    Back then (1975-78), I was playing Zeppelin, Purple, Jeff Beck, etc. and never in attendance at the C&W bars. We were playing Sneaky Pete's, Mother Blues, Gertie's and Binary Star.
    But I do remember some bars that had the mechanical bulls because that was a popular item then. Could it have been Billy Bob's ? Gilley's ? Trophy Room ?

I know it wasn't Billy Bobs or Gilleys. The Trophy Room doesn't sound familiar, but, could be.

My GF and I went there 1 night and she wanted to ride the bull. I couldn't because of my back. Couldn't take the chance of getting thrown off in a awkward position with gigs coming up that I had to fly back to NYC for.

Anyway, she was all of 5'3", and weighed about 100lbs. She rode that sucker and they gave her a pin that said "I rode the bull at ?????". There was a guy behind her in the line that was about 6'2" and around 200lbs. He got thrown off before the bull made it's 1st turn. The whole place let him hear about that. I figured that, at 5'3", she had a lower center of gravity and her height let her stay closer to that thing.

Thanks for answering this.

User Info Menu

I know it wasn't Billy Bobs or Gilleys. The Trophy Room doesn't sound familiar, but, could be.

Thanks for answering this.
    You are welcome.
    Gilleys originated in Pasadena, down near Houston.
    Gilleys/Dallas probably bought out the club you remember because they are close to North Park.
    The Trophy Room is closer to downtown Dallas.
    Billy Bobs originated near the Ft. Worth stockyards and is a really huge place............in fact I actually saw KANSAS put on a fantastic show there one night.
    The memories........................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Good stuff Ricky!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Good stuff Ricky!
    I was recently reading a story about one of the Mondavi brothers dying at age 101 or so.............he ran the Charles Krug winery for many years.
    His brother Robert Mondavi of course ran the winery bearing his name located in St. Helena, Napa Valley.
    I noticed that the Mondavi family came from the East coast and had originally located in LODI.
    Thought you oughta know.
    (The wife and I drink too much wine. BTW).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I was recently reading a story about one of the Mondavi brothers dying at age 101 or so.............he ran the Charles Krug winery for many years.
    His brother Robert Mondavi of course ran the winery bearing his name located in St. Helena, Napa Valley.
    I noticed that the Mondavi family came from the East coast and had originally located in LODI.
    Thought you oughta know.
    (The wife and I drink too much wine. BTW).
    We lost Peter Mondovi RIP. At 101, it just goes to show you a glass of wine here and there is "all good".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    We lost Peter Mondovi RIP. At 101, it just goes to show you a glass of wine here and there is "all good".

Try tops and bottoms.

User Info Menu

I figured that, at 5'3", she had a lower center of gravity and her height let her stay closer to that thing.
    Nothing to do with all that "bull riding" you had her practicing at home?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    Nothing to do with all that "bull riding" you had her practicing at home?

Every little bit helped. Lot of skill goes into that, so practice is very important.

It's 1 of the tough things in life, but someone had to do it. Might as well be me.