Thread: One Microphone Drum Recording?

User Info Menu

Default One Microphone Drum Recording?

Hey. I do not have access to multiple microphones or the proper equipment to record drums in the way they are usually recorded. The only possible way I can record my drums is with 1 Zoom Microphone. Does anyone have any tips for recording with 1 Microphone?

User Info Menu

Default Re: One Microphone Drum Recording?

I used my Q8 Zoom and stuck it directly in front of the entire kit ( maybe 2 feet away, if that ) at about the same height as the top of the bass drum.

Depending on the ability of the mic, you should be able to be within a foot of center, either left or right, depending on what you want to hear more. Maybe a little more towards the snare and hats to balance everything.

Make a couple of short recordings while playing the entire kit to experiment with you works best to your ears.

It can be done. Good luck and post a clip when you find the sweet spot.

Here's a one mic recording.

Last edited by Bish; 07-17-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

everything was audible and clear enough in that video for sure.

you can try the above position too but you wont pick up the kick drum so great.

User Info Menu

Try putting the mic above the drummer's head facing the snare drum you should get a good mix of the whole kit from there, you might have to mess with the height and angle of the mic a little bit so you don't get WAY too much cymbal.

User Info Menu

yeah I've tried 1 mic myself also.
    I spent a couple minutes placing the mic, playing, writing down where it was, then move it and do it again. Then listened to the audio and determined where I liked it best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I used my Q8 Zoom and stuck it directly in front of the entire kit ( maybe 2 feet away, if that ) at about the same height as the top of the bass drum.

Depending on the ability of the mic, you should be able to be within a foot of center, either left or right, depending on what you want to hear more. Maybe a little more towards the snare and hats to balance everything.

Make a couple of short recordings while playing the entire kit to experiment with you works best to your ears.

It can be done. Good luck and post a clip when you find the sweet spot.

Here's a one mic recording.

That sounded great!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Wow, kind of shocked at how good that sounds..

User Info Menu

I use my Zoom H2 to record my set. I found placing it out front picked up too much hi hat. I like it about 2 feet over and behind my right shoulder (I'm left handed) aimed between the rack toms, get decent balance and can hear the kick.

User Info Menu

Those toms sound awesome...very ringo'y

User Info Menu

i record every gig I go hwith a Zoom H4n, on stage, near a floor monitor, and use in ear monitors plugged into the Zoom. recording quality is a little variable, as the balance/positioning is not ideal, but it gets the job done, and saves my ears too!

User Info Menu

There are a ton of videos on youtube about recording drums with one mic. All kinds of different tricks/positions. It's really gonna just end up being trial and error. The room will play a big role in the sound you get based on placement, also, so don't take any one piece of advice as gospel. Except this one, of course. lol Good luck!
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

It sounds good for a camera mic. I'd add moongel to that floor tom to soak up some of the overtones but the toms and snare sound good.