Thread: Help with a Bonham fill

User Info Menu

Default Help with a Bonham fill

I've been searching everywhere trying to figure out this part of his solo in Moby d¿ck. The part is at 1:40. It sounds like he's doing doubles on the bass drum, but can't figure the rest out. I noticed that he only did it in 1970. I've watched Bonzoleum's videos but can't find that one part. It's such a cool fill that I'd love to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with a Bonham fill

Ok so what I am see is...

RLRRLRRKKR

In the video, around 140, I think he plays T S S S S FT FT K K FT
    and then maybe back to snare to fill in the gap.. It appears to be just some standard pattern hes practiced and hes just applying it around the kit. but thats my best guess
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    Ok so what I am see is...

RLRRLRRKKR

In the video, around 140, I think he plays T S S S S FT FT K K FT
    and then maybe back to snare to fill in the gap.. It appears to be just some standard pattern hes practiced and hes just applying it around the kit. but thats my best guess
    Hmmm. I though it had something to do with a paradiddle diddle. Thanks for the response.

-Mike

User Info Menu

@1:07 I started counting (1) and at 1:37 is the first paradiddle diddle.

https://youtu.be/Z_nU_VFvIZs?t=97

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    @1:07 I started counting (1) and at 1:37 is the first paradiddle diddle.

https://youtu.be/Z_nU_VFvIZs?t=97

Thanks for that. Did you hear any doubles on the kick? I know he alternates between the hi hats and the kick with the pedals, but I'm sure I can hear some doubles. What do you think?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Thanks for that. Did you hear any doubles on the kick? I know he alternates between the hi hats and the kick with the pedals, but I'm sure I can hear some doubles. What do you think?
    I think he's alternating the paradiddle diddle up top (snare, tom) with the bottom (kick, 16x16 FT). He repeats the phrase for about 16 measures here:

https://youtu.be/Z_nU_VFvIZs?t=120
    Last edited by late8; 07-26-2016 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Could it be that he is throwing is famous Bonham triplets in there somewhere. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Could it be that he is throwing is famous Bonham triplets in there somewhere. Just sayin.
    I sat down for a half hour today trying to figure it out. Still can't get it remotely close.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My take on parts of Bonhams solo.

User Info Menu

My take on parts of Bonhams solo.
    I really enjoyed that Rick. I appreciate you making a video for me. I'll be sure to take that into practice. It even made me want to check out some other drummers around his time. Thanks again!

-Mike

User Info Menu

I've looked everywhere. Bonzoleum doesn't have a video on the moby **** 1970 at royal Albert Hall. I've somewhat gotten the fill, but I'm almost positive I can hear Bonham playing doubles on the kick. It makes it sound that much better. You can clearly hear it at 1:40.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 09-01-2016 at 01:56 PM.

-Mike