Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broke a reso head this morning

User Info Menu

Default Re: Broke a reso head this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    It's been sitting with brand new heads, Remo Emperor over Ambassador. After adjusting the tuning on it a bit, it sounds amazing! Maybe I haven't given Remo their fair shake.

I'm still going to go with Evans on the BOB though.
    Emps/Abass, great combo! I have that set up on the Gretsch USA kit and it sounds fantastic. No damping and wide open overtones.

I had the Evans RC coated on a Ludwig BB and it's the best head yet for anything made of steel, brass or chrome. Nice control on the ringing overtones but not too overwhelming enough to kill it completely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    It is bizarre that a genuine Remo should fail just by cranking up to 90. I'm not particularly a Remo fanboy - 2 of my snares have hazy ambo snare side, 5 have Evans hazy 300, but I have never experienced failure by tuning to this tension with either manufacturer and I've frequently gone up to a reading of 90 without incident.

Both of these heads seem to have torn away at the point they contact the metal ring - the area where the soldered snare butts contact the head seem to be intact (if it is caused by a sharp snare wire end I would expect to see a tear in this area).

Did you check the calibration of the Drumdial before using? If you started with a false initial reading maybe you were tightening more than you thought. I have previously made the mistake of checking the calibration using a glass shelf of a piece of furniture, after tuning my toms batters by reading they were considerably higher than normal and I was getting lots of sympathetic snare side sympathetic resonance. I rechecked the DD in several places of the same glass shelf and got a different reading in each place - the glass sheet I used was bending in the centre under its own weight! - the reading in the centre of the sheet was 3 points lower than the reading at the edges due to the glass bending. Are you sure the surface you use to calibrate is perfectly flat?
    That's a very good point! I've actually never calibrated my Drumdial. I guess I should do that! I assume the instructions to do so are in the box?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

That's a very good point! I've actually never calibrated my Drumdial. I guess I should do that! I assume the instructions to do so are in the box?
    Or on line I found several YouTube videos.

Disclaimer: I didn't watch any of them. I have the TAMA Tension Watch.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I bought mine used and it didn't come with instructions, but like Bish said there are vids on youtube. If you go to the Drumdial site there are PDF calibration instructions you can download if you want to keep a copy of the instructions. Calibration is easy to do, but I'm crap at written explanations...

User Info Menu

Cool, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

User Info Menu

PT, I spent the day in my Beat Barn getting my new snares set up and sounding absolutely outstanding.

The settings I found that worked best were found using the TAMA Tension Watch which is for all intents and purposes the same thing as the Drumdial. I'm not trying to sell you on a specific brand but since I am a TAMA fanatic, for me it had to be TAMA. LOL

I believe the tension numbers don't necessarily correspond to each other but what I found was that if I have the snare batter head set to 80 and the snare side set to 70, I get the best sound (IMHO) on every snare I tried it on.

The snares included:
    Ludwig: Blackrolite, Supralite, Black Beauty

TAMA: Starphonic brass, Superstar Classic Maple, and Starclassic B/B

Mapex: Saturn SE walnut/birch, (I think)

DW: Design NOB

They all came with different heads so that made little difference other than they are all single ply coated heads.

I hope you have similar results!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    PT, I spent the day in my Beat Barn getting my new snares set up and sounding absolutely outstanding.

The settings I found that worked best were found using the TAMA Tension Watch which is for all intents and purposes the same thing as the Drumdial. I'm not trying to sell you on a specific brand but since I am a TAMA fanatic, for me it had to be TAMA. LOL

I believe the tension numbers don't necessarily correspond to each other but what I found was that if I have the snare batter head set to 80 and the snare side set to 70, I get the best sound (IMHO) on every snare I tried it on.

The snares included:
    Ludwig: Blackrolite, Supralite, Black Beauty

TAMA: Starphonic brass, Superstar Classic Maple, and Starclassic B/B

Mapex: Saturn SE walnut/birch, (I think)

DW: Design NOB

They all came with different heads so that made little difference other than they are all single ply coated heads.

I hope you have similar results!
    That's interesting Bish, I'll definitely give that a try. Perhaps not the same numbers, as you said, the Tama Tension Watch most likely dosesn't match up to the DrumDial. But I'll try the reso head 10 units below the batter head. Thanks!

User Info Menu

That's interesting Bish, I'll definitely give that a try. Perhaps not the same numbers, as you said, the Tama Tension Watch most likely dosesn't match up to the DrumDial. But I'll try the reso head 10 units below the batter head. Thanks!
    So I just did some playing around this morning with a couple of snares. I tuned my Ludwig Blackrolite 14x5 and my Tama Superstar 14x10. The Luddy has Remo Emp over Amp heads, and the Tama has an Evans HD Dry over a Hazy 300. I tuned them both with the Drumdial, both equally. I set the batter head to 85, and the reso head to 75. Magic! They sound great! I have always been a "reso tighter than batter" guy, but after trying Bish's suggestion, I believe I'm converting. So once I get new heads for the Pork Pie, I'll be tuning it the same way, hoping for the same magic.

User Info Menu

WTG, brother.

I, too, was pleasingly surprised with the outcome and now have something to grasp onto when we are at our wits end with tuning equations.
    Signature here