Thread: Vintage Zildjian Avidas? Jazz?

User Info Menu

Default Vintage Zildjian Avidas? Jazz?

Hello everyone,

Ive been looking to trade some of my cymbals because Im getting more into jazz and my current set up is too heavy for me. Also i like to switch things up and have different voices around my kit and trading cymbals is fun (and less expensive)

I have Meinl Byzance cymbals (22 Medium Ride, 22 Spectrum Ride, 14 Sand Hats) and ive posted them online for trade.

Im getting a lot of people offering various vintage Zildjian Avidas cymbals from the 50/60/70s. Im not at all versed on these cymabls so Im not sure of the quality of them. What do you think?

Im really looking for that perfect jazz sound, you know? Its hard to explain! My current set up has too much "ping"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage Zildjian Avidas? Jazz?

I'm not too versed in jazz cymbals, but I would be going to music stores and trying different cymbals,then when you have an idea then you can look to trade otherwise you may trade for something that doesn't work for you. I would think to look at dryer cymbals. I'm surprised that you don'like your sand hats.
    Maybe check out sound files too,like mycymbal.com, and enter "jazz" for the search or "dry rides" etc. to get some ideas.

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 07-27-2016 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Check out the K Custom Zildjians, either in Dark or Dry. They are very jazzy. I own a set and highly recommend them for jazz.

BackStreetDrums Guest

Paiste Formula/Classic 602.
    Made famous by Joe Morello in the 50's. Still made the same today as then. Also, a 602 flat is a great addition.

User Info Menu

I just purchased my new Avedis 21" ride..its made to sound like the cymbals from the past..I totally like the sound as it reminds me of my very first Zildjian ride purchased back in 1969.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Which ride is it? I have the vintage 70's 21 Avedis Sweet ride and has been my favorite since I bought back in the 70's great versatile ride/crash cymbal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Hello everyone,

Ive been looking to trade some of my cymbals because Im getting more into jazz and my current set up is too heavy for me. Also i like to switch things up and have different voices around my kit and trading cymbals is fun (and less expensive)

I have Meinl Byzance cymbals (22 Medium Ride, 22 Spectrum Ride, 14 Sand Hats) and ive posted them online for trade.

Im getting a lot of people offering various vintage Zildjian Avidas cymbals from the 50/60/70s. Im not at all versed on these cymabls so Im not sure of the quality of them. What do you think?

Im really looking for that perfect jazz sound, you know? Its hard to explain! My current set up has too much "ping"
    Vintage A Zildjians would do fine as they were thinner weights and darker than modern A's, but if you could find some vintage K Zildjians you'll be set!

Another alternative would be to check out Dream cymbals. You can get them brand new for much cheaper than the big brands. Don't let the cheap price fool you as these are professional quality cymbals. In fact, Dream often gets compared to vintage Zildjian! Their Bliss series is perfect for jazz and has a smoky dark sound, reminiscent of vintage K's. Their Contact series could work too as these are still dark but have a little more brightness to them, similar to vintage A's.