Thread: Interesting Stick Purchases

User Info Menu

Default Interesting Stick Purchases

Today, I received two pair of sticks I ordered on-line on a whim, just to see how they would 'fit' me. In past threads here on DrumChat, I've mentioned that I have what I believe are the smallest hands of any adult male I know. I am 5'6" on a really good day, and my hands are smaller, proportionally, to my height, than most anyone. But, I have always leaned towards larger/longer drumsticks. My semi-favorite sticks are ProMark 2B Oaks, which at 0.630" diameter, but a pretty standard 16" in length. Awhile ago, I bought some ProMark "Super-Rock" Oak sticks, which are 0.590" diameter, but 16.75" in length. I like a longer stick, if for no reason that it seems to feel better to have extra stick extending beyond the end of my palms. So, to try to go to the ultimate degree in that direction, I got a pair of Tommy Aldridge "2S" Oak sticks, which are 0.630" diameter, but 17" in length, with a very thick shoulder, and then, the incredible Alex Van Halen Calato sticks, hickory wood, 0.570" diameter and an amazing 17.75" in length.

I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that both sticks have limited rebound. And I was sort of surprised that the finish on the Calato sticks, while I knew they were 'raw' (no varnish), the surface of the wood was not well smoothed at all, and one of the 2 sticks had some significant gouges both near the butt and the tip ends of the stick. I ended up taking a couple of different grades of sandpaper to the wood to smooth it out to a very nice finish. And if I choke up so there is maybe 3" of stick extending past the end of my palm, I get an okay rebound. The Aldridge sticks are so forward heavy with that thick shoulder that I'm not sure I'll be able to get an adequate rebound. However, it was an interesting experiment, I must say. I think my favorite stick, of perhaps a dozen or so different sticks (with a large variation in diameter, length, wood and tip type), is now the Oak "Super Rock" stick, with nylon tips. That 16.75" length and .590" diameter gives me just the right rebound, the right 'heft', and just overall good feel.

Not sure what value this post may be for any of you, as I'm sure all of you have long since decided the ideal sticks for you. I guess I just keep thinking that I've not yet found THE BEST stick for me. I think I'm pretty darn close, now!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Interesting Stick Purchases

Nothing wrong with trying lots of different ones. I like really light sticks, so the Vic Firth Keith Carlock are perfect for me...great cymbal definition, lots of rebound and very light. Definitely not anything like the sticks you mentioned though! I've never liked heavy and/or thick sticks other than for marching or something like that.

User Info Menu

I understand your dilemma, I have short arms and everything is pulled in. I always wanted to try the AVH sticks but just never bought them. I had a pair of the Aldridge 2S very heavy stick. Now I just deal with it, whatever is comfortable, the heaviest I go now is 5B or if I can find them Super 5B.

User Info Menu

You know what they say about guys that have small hands........
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

They wear small gloves.......
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Well, you how they used to size the 'sleeves' of the urinary 'catches' the original astronauts wore, right? If you thought small, medium and large, you would be wrong. They were large, immense, and Oh My G-d.... Or something similar!
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I've always wanted to try those super long Van Halen sticks!

Should post pictures of the sticks in your hands

User Info Menu

Will do, spaz.

User Info Menu

Try a Phil Collins signature stick.
    After trying out a pair of those ,I'm pretty sure has small hands too.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I've got a short reach and found the Vic Firth 8DN works well for me. I had been using the 7AN but found it to be a bit too light.

User Info Menu

Rich,
    How is this stick is 'more reach' as the ad states when it's only 16" long (which is pretty standard for a drum stick, at least as I understand it)? I would think that anything longer than 16" would be 'longer reach'. Just curious. I think 16.75" or 17" is a really good length for a 'longer' stick, but not too long.

User Info Menu

So, per Spaz's request, here are some picture of my small hands with the 17.75" Alex Van Halen drum sticks. To give you a scale for my hands, the first picture is a Ludwig Black Beauty 14" x 6.5" snare. My hand, at maximum stretch, is about 1/2 inch beyond the top rim when my pinky aligns with the bottom rim. The ProMark stick in the third image is 16" long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Try a Phil Collins signature stick.
    After trying out a pair of those ,I'm pretty sure has small hands too.
    I have a pair...got those when I first started messing around with drums, when I was trying all kinds of things to see what would feel/perform best. Those sticks feel like toys to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Rich,
    How is this stick is 'more reach' as the ad states when it's only 16" long (which is pretty standard for a drum stick, at least as I understand it)? I would think that anything longer than 16" would be 'longer reach'. Just curious. I think 16.75" or 17" is a really good length for a 'longer' stick, but not too long.
    You've misread it Curt. It' says "7A player looking for MORE reach". Every drum stick manufacturer has different standards but here are the conventional measurements:

Drum Stick Dimensions

Number 1 are 16.75" to 17.25" long.
    Number 2 are 16.00" to 16.50".
    Number 3 are 15.50" to 17.00" long
    Number 5 are 16.00".
    Number 7 are 15.00" to 15.75" long
    Number 8 are 16.00" to 16.50".
    Number 9 are 16.00" to 16.50" long

Last edited by late8; 08-05-2016 at 03:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah, I see, Rich, thanks. You're right...I assumed something that was incorrect!