Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Mapex! Insights needed.

User Info Menu

Default Moving to Mapex! Insights needed.

Hey DC!

I’m new to the forum and I have general question.

How is the overall quality & customer service experience like with Mapex? I’m in the process of selling my Pearl Session Studio Classic kit (plus various snares) in favor of a 12/16/22 Mapex Saturn kit in Granite Sparkle (with a Machete snare).

The guys at my local drum shop praise Mapex’s sound and build quality to the sky, and from what I can tell, It appears that you get more drum for the money. I’ve also heard that their customer service is top-notch as well.

I was hoping some of you Mapex owners could chime in with some additional insights as well! Thanks so much!

Paradiddlediddle6

User Info Menu

Default Re: Moving to Mapex! Insights needed.

Good drums but I had a horrible customer service experience. The guy I talked to was a complete jerk!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Good drums but I had a horrible customer service experience. The guy I talked to was a complete jerk!
    How so? How long ago was this?

User Info Menu

My only customer service experience (my Meridian Maples had a broken lug when delivered) was outstanding. They sent out a new lug the next day.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

IMO Mapex has the best customer service hands down. You have nothing to worry about on that front, and the drums are top notch. I agree probably the best bang for the buck out there. With the exception of the snare I feel saturns are very nice sounding pro level drums.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

new saturn or the saturn 4?

User Info Menu

My customer service experiences with them have been great. Saturns are excellent drums. I love mine.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I guess I was the unlucky bloke.

My first Saturns were great drums. However, one day I noticed that where the badge on the 16" floor tom was tacked into the shell, a starburst crack was developing and spreading. It was a fluke that I even noticed it but I had taken the drum outside to get a good picture of it in the sunlight and that's how I found it.

I made several attempts at getting with customer service and finally reached a representative that was very nice. That's where the good ended.

I was instructed to completely remove all the hardware, they would send a call tag for me to box it up, ship back just the bare shell and they would send a replacement shell. I wasn't guaranteed any sort of time frame for the drum to be returned let alone having to strip it down, pack it and ship it.

The was the best they would do.

I sold the set in a matter of weeks.

I like their drums but for me I love the sound of TAMA and Yamaha better and I have had zero issues with any other brand ever.

I really gave Mapex the benefit of the doubt and continued to purchase their products for the past 10 years. My first experience with Mapex was an Mbirch and after that three Saturn kits in 10 year time frame.

None sounded as good to me as my current collection so over time, I eventually sold them all off. Lots of people swear by them so they are doing something right. They are just not for me. But I do like their snares and currently have two.

Also, welcome to Drum Chat.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've had 3 mapex kits. Their mid to high end kits are awesome. They sound awesome, I have a pro drummer friend that remarks how much he loves the sound of my kit every time he comes over. They hold tuning really well too.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Only a couple of years ago. And when I called back to complain about the rude guy, they defended him. I will never buy their drums again. That's just me, but a buddy of mine had a similar story. He doesn't like them either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    new saturn or the saturn 4?
    Saturn V.

User Info Menu

I'm going through a horrible experience with them right now and the last 8mos.Still waiting on my 14x14 floor tom(back order) and my special 8x8 tom order(also 8mos.). If you see a kit in a store or a used kit you like somewhere go for it; but don't order anything through them or you'll be waiting up to a year for anything! I've talked to a number of people who are experiencing the same situation.

User Info Menu

I absolutely love my Saturn V's, and here in the UK at least the customer service is excellent. I had Saturn III's previously and traded them for the V's a couple of months ago. I got them in the lush deep water burl, and they just sound the business, and with impeccable build quality. I mostly play rock and pop, but last night had the opportunity to play in a 20-piece big band doing everything from Glenn Miller to Chick Corea, (and all sight-reading charts - eek!). Anyway, the Saturns sounded awesome with a couple of tuning tweeks. Go for it!
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Do a test, go to mapex website, find the support link located right on the home page and ask them a question or 2 and see the response you get.

[link removed. Per forum rules, commercial links other than advertisers are not permitted. - Tom]

Then go to a Tama site and try to find any type of contact info at all? Good luck.

[link removed. Per forum rules, commercial links other than advertisers are not permitted. - Tom]

Or whatever other kit you may thinking of
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I can agree that they have some really nice drums out there but the only experience I have is with a Black Panther snare I own (which sounds great btw) and a lower end kit that I played years ago..
    My buddy swears by Mapex and probably always will but I think it's just his brand loyalty because his favorite drummer is under their name haha
    If you haven't already, explore other options before you're dead set on going with Mapex.. you just might change your mind and go for something else! Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Service is not even a consideration when I invest in something like that. I've never even onetime had to contact someone from a drum company. Best to inspect the product and ascertain build quality and sound etc... before the purchase.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I purchased a M Birch 5-piece in Honey Amber finish new about 5 or 6 years ago. Still have it, still love it. However, I was not thrilled with the matching snare drum that came with it. I'm still holding on to the snare, should I decide to sell the kit in the future, but again, that doesn't seem likely.

Not long after I purchased a 14x7 Phat Bob in black lacquer finish. A totally awesome drum, and one of my favorite snares.

As far as customer service, I've had no issues with my drums that required any interaction with their service department.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Do a test, go to mapex website, find the support link located right on the home page and ask them a question or 2 and see the response you get.

Then go to a Tama site and try to find any type of contact info at all? Good luck.

Or whatever other kit you may thinking of
    For what it's worth, if you are targeting TAMA, their drum forum is the best way to reach out to TAMA. They have several representatives that frequent the forum.

Also, as was said above, I've never needed any support from any other manufacturer in the 40+ years I've been playing. It's never been an issue for me except that one time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bought first Mapex kit about 9 years ago. Have owned 3. Still have two of them. Quality, fit and finish of the drums have never been in doubt. Have had to contact them a few times regarding replacement parts. Never an issue. Always go out of their way to accommodate. Highly recommend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    For what it's worth, if you are targeting TAMA, their drum forum is the best way to reach out to TAMA. They have several representatives that frequent the forum.

Also, as was said above, I've never needed any support from any other manufacturer in the 40+ years I've been playing. It's never been an issue for me except that one time.
    Yeah I have had some very bad dealings with Tama, sure you can find someone who has a problem with every brand out there. Unfortunately for me it was Tama. Too bad too because I really love the look and sound of the B/B's but after my experience with a Silverstar I doubt I would ever own a Tama drum kit. I will say however that my speed Cobra pedal is phenomenal and along with my pearl eliminator is the best pedal I have ever played....so far.

Also not all customer support is for problems or defects, maybe you want to add on some tom holder, or find some info on a discontinued model etc, etc.
    Last edited by MDK; 08-01-2016 at 08:38 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Yeah I have had some very bad dealings with Tama, sure you can find someone who has a problem with every brand out there. Unfortunately for me it was Tama. Too bad too because I really love the look and sound of the B/B's but after my experience with a Silverstar I doubt I would ever own a Tama drum kit. I will say however that my speed Cobra pedal is phenomenal and along with my pearl eliminator is the best pedal I have ever played....so far.

Also not all customer support is for problems or defects, maybe you want to add on some tom holder, or find some info on a discontinued model etc, etc.
    Not to hijack, but you're missing out if you are basing it on the one experience. B/B's are amazing drums, and Superstars (birch is what I had) are great as well. In the 30 years I've owned Tama (6-7 kits) I've literally never had a problem. They have excellent quality stuff.

Yes their support is weird, but Bish is right the forum has tons of info and guys from the company that respond immediately. Tama's recommendation is to go through the dealer, rather than deal direct. That's their business model and it hasn't been an issue for me. I got info on a FT I was interested in within a day (too pricey to buy however).

If you love SC B/B's get them. I finally got a set slightly used for about half new, and I can say you won't regret it.

As for Mapex, as I said, only positive experiences with my Meridian Maples.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear TAMA let you down. I had two Silverstars and kept the bopper due to the 18" bass drum. Love that little kit.

I agree with your pedal choices. LOL. I still have my Pearl Double pedal (listed for sale at the barn) and other than a single pedal Yamaha pedal the others are some variety of TAMA.

I also agree about not all questions are problems needing solutions. What I found really nice was one of the TAMA admin on their forum site let me know that the 8X7 I wanted for my Starclassics was available at several retailers should I be in the market.

Yes, I got it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Mapex makes some nice stuff that's for sure. They are also a little on the cheaper side. I can't say I have much experience with their customer support, but it's probably easier if you just go through your local music store and have them contact support. You will probably get faster results.

Also, just want to add, I don't know your relationship with your local music store, but Mapex drums carry one of the highest sales commission rates for employees. Just saying.

Even with that being said, the Saturn drums are pretty fat/warm sounding.. they are Walnut/Maple if I remember correctly. I also am a fan of the soniclear edges.
    Last edited by SpatzST; 08-01-2016 at 11:03 AM.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NdnDrummer View Post
    I can agree that they have some really nice drums out there but the only experience I have is with a Black Panther snare I own (which sounds great btw) and a lower end kit that I played years ago..
    My buddy swears by Mapex and probably always will but I think it's just his brand loyalty because his favorite drummer is under their name haha
    If you haven't already, explore other options before you're dead set on going with Mapex.. you just might change your mind and go for something else! Good Luck!
    Actually, I've done my homework, weighed my options, and most importantly...allowed my ears to determine that Mapex Saturn V's would be the right fit for me.

I've been playing my Pearl SSC's for over a year now and I just can't seem to get the sound that I'm looking for. I've tried different head combos, tunings, etc., but to no avail. I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for darker, warmer-sounding drums. The Saturns caught my ear.

Also...Thank you for the responses! I realize that every company has their missteps, but overall, I still feel comfortable switching to Mapex. Now my biggest decision will be whether to go with Granite Sparkle or Transparent Espresso Walnut.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddlediddle6 View Post
    Actually, I've done my homework, weighed my options, and most importantly...allowed my ears to determine that Mapex Saturn V's would be the right fit for me.

I've been playing my Pearl SSC's for over a year now and I just can't seem to get the sound that I'm looking for. I've tried different head combos, tunings, etc., but to no avail. I've come to the conclusion that I'm looking for darker, warmer-sounding drums. The Saturns caught my ear.
    Congrats on making a decision! Even after all input, it's always a personal decision.

We look forward to pictures!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K