Thread: Hot Rod Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Hot Rod Sticks

I'm about to embark on a new music adventure, it's a little more laid back that I am used to, I normally play loud and hit hard, it's that rock thing inside me. I am going to have to tame this and play a little lighter but it's very hard to control, but the guitar player suggested using Hot Rod sticks, he said it's kind of between a brush and a stick but it will tame my playing down, anybody use these or any suggestions on a type or style to get.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hot Rod Sticks

I have a pair, for just that reason....gig's where you need to keep the volume down. My biggest issue with them is the sound I get from my snare, and from my ride cymbal. My snare sounds like an oatmeal box, it's just not a sharp enough sound. (It's very likely that with a better tuned snare this might not be as big an issue. The guitar player and the guy that helps monitor sound for us tell me it sounded fine.) The ride is just to quiet, with no definition. I play with nylon tipped sticks, so I'm expecting that sharp sound from the ride, even quietly.

The toms, hats and crashes are fine. For me.

They are kinda fun to play with, cuz you can play a little harder with less volume. I'm glad I have a set in my stick bag, even if I don't use them very often. They can be a good option, especially if you get into a situation sometime where the venue gets all militant about the sound and you weren't expecting that when you booked it, and set up for it. When I have a gig where we know going in that the sound has to be really quiet, I'm taking my e-kit now, but having the Hot Rods available is a good safety net, too.

*edit* The guy that turned me on to them had been using them for years before, and suggested to me to put a turn or two of electrical tape around them, a couple inches from the end, where you will likely hit the hats, when hitting with "the side" instead of the tip end. Helps keep them from getting chewed up. I did so, and I can see where it likely would help, for someone who uses them a lot.
    Last edited by worcesterbruce; 08-06-2016 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

They're great for taking it down a notch and still being able to play at a relatively normal intensity. I usually tune my snare down just a bit when I use them since it seems to me (at least from behind the kit) that the snare sound is a bit thin or higher pitched with them. I'd pick them up if I were you - you'll like them.

User Info Menu

I'm on my second pair . On the first pair the rods were breaking off one at a time , and that was from just one night of playing them and only on the first set ! I know how to play quiet on my regular kit with regular sticks but this was an attempt to show our leader how quiet I could play and still drive the band . I don't use these much since then . However I did buy another pair just to have in the stick bag for warm ups . What I did was pour wood glue between the rods and used blue painters tape till the glue set . Then I put Gorrilla glue under the shrink wrap strips they came with because they kept sliding off on the first pair !
    They are fun to have but I no longer use them on the gig . There is such a thing as being too quiet . Heck the bar manager was telling us to turn up !

User Info Menu

Are there different, lets say thicknesses or flexabilty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Are there different, lets say thicknesses or flexabilty.
    I'll say !! There are dozens & dozens of different models out there. Hopefully one for every drummer's liking. I don't use them, but I made my son use them when he practices upstairs. He's come to like them, but would shred through a pair of wooden ones every month. Bought him the plastic variety most recently, and they are holding up better.

User Info Menu

Try throwing an old thin cotton dish towel or t-shirt over the snare & toms. One that you can almost see through. Then use like 7A sticks. It cuts the volume and projection at least in half. Still feels & plays close to normal.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I use them often, but it's more for a different sound texture than a lower volume. They have a very 'clicky' sound on the cymbals. Snare and toms will have a thinner sound compared to sticks (at least with the ProMark Hot Rods, not sure about the thicker versions). If you hit really hard they generally won't last very long. I had one pair for 4 years before I gave them away (and they still worked pretty well at that point!) but I don't hit hard at all. I'd look at the larger diameter rods (Promark Lightning and Thunder Rods.)
    But even more importantly, it's better to work on playing quieter. If you can get your natural playing style turned down, you can keep using sticks and get all the same sounds you'd get otherwise. You are going to lose some rebound by using rods.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    I'll say !! Bought him the plastic variety most recently, and they are holding up better.
    Thanks Joe, They could get costly if you shred them quickly. I'll get out there and look around at them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    But even more importantly, it's better to work on playing quieter. If you can get your natural playing style turned down, you can keep using sticks and get all the same sounds you'd get otherwise. You are going to lose some rebound by using rods.
    I hear you,I try it but it doesn't take long till I build back up. I really don't want to sacrifice the sound. This may take awhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Try throwing an old thin cotton dish towel or t-shirt over the snare & toms. One that you can almost see through. Then use like 7A sticks. It cuts the volume and projection at least in half. Still feels & plays close to normal.
    That's not a bad idea but if we play a small venue, I don't want t-shirts all over my drums.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of Hot Rods and a set of the Firth (Steve Smith) Bamboo Tala Wands. I have found that both work well in reducing volume, but these two in particular do not feel, to me, anything like a 'normal' stick to the hand. I realize there are a whole lot of alternative sticks out there, some of which have been mentioned in this thread, and I probably need to investigate some of the others. For some reason, it seems to be the diameter of the grouped dowels that feels odd. Maybe a smaller diameter would work better for me. I've also noted that the Firth Rute and Rute303 sticks have an actual wooden handle (albeit birch as compared to hickory or oak, which are pretty standard stick woods), which is perhaps what would be better for me, and possibly for you, too, if a regular stick 'feel' would be important to you.

But, if the objective is to reduce volume, those guys will do it. I agree with those who have said that you need to be careful if you use the side of your sticks, as these products are definitely more prone to breaking because of their construction. Good luck in your adventure!
    Last edited by cabasner; 08-06-2016 at 08:39 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I have a pair of Hot Rods and a set of the Firth (Steve Smith) Bamboo Tala Wands. I have found that both work well in reducing volume, but these two in particular do not feel, to me, anything like a 'normal' stick to the hand. I realize there are a whole lot of alternative sticks out there, some of which have been mentioned in this thread, and I probably need to investigate some of the others. For some reason, it seems to be the diameter of the grouped dowels that feels odd. Maybe a smaller diameter would work better for me. I've also noted that the Firth Rute and Rute303 sticks have an actual wooden handle (albeit birch as compared to hickory or oak, which are pretty standard stick woods), which is perhaps what would be better for me, and possibly for you, too, if a regular stick 'feel' would be important to you.

But, if the objective is to reduce volume, those guys will do it. I agree with those who have said that you need to be careful if you use the side of your sticks, as these products are definitely more prone to breaking because of their construction. Good luck in your adventure!
    Thanks for your input, there sure is a lot to consider, I'm sure stick feel will make a difference to me also

User Info Menu

I've had a short go with them, but I prefer to use nylon brushes. Once you get the hang of it, can get a nice fat sound from the snare. I also sometimes use a regular stick in my right hand for ride and cymbal work.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I've had a short go with them, but I prefer to use nylon brushes. Once you get the hang of it, can get a nice fat sound from the snare. I also sometimes use a regular stick in my right hand for ride and cymbal work.

all the best...
    Not a bad idea, I'm sure the cymbals will chew them up.