Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a China

User Info Menu

Default Mounting a China

I used to mount my Wuhan with the label down so I was hitting the shoulder. I hated it because it was always off balance and sounded dead. I flipped it and now I can leave the wing nut loose and not have to worry about it leaning to the back. The sound really opened up. Very nice!

I'm open to hearing how you mount yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mounting a China

I mount mine upside-down. I have a simple Sabian china.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I have 16"Wuhan China myself and I mount it reversed or upside down too. It would get off balanced sometimes until I changed to a boom stand. Now no problems. This cymbal is truly amazing 15 years and still going no cracks, keyholing just a little tarnished.

User Info Menu

How do you folks tighten up a china (or any cymbal) so much so that when you hit it, there's absolutely no wobble? (Think Aaron Spears zildjian efx stack videos)

User Info Menu

Mine is mounted just like you would mount any other cymbal ( I guess that's "reverse" for a China). I prefer mounting them the traditional way you mount a China but this is the only way to get it exactly where I want it. I honestly don't hear much difference.

User Info Menu

I mount mine "upside down" I prefer to hit the shoulder vs the lip.

As far as mounting I have a sabian and it's no different then any other cymbal as it doesn't have a deep bell cup.

When I had a Wuhan I needed like 3 felt washers in it because of that deep cup bell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I'm open to hearing how you mount yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    When I had a Wuhan I needed like 3 felt washers in it because of that deep cup bell.
    ^This.

I use two Wuhans.................I use multiple felts and an upside down metal cymbal support-washer.........screw the wing-nut down snug..............no wobble and still sounds loud.............no keyhole problems.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Two words...cymbal springs. I have used spring mounts with my chinas for over 30 years. Mounted with the shoulder up, using a heavy spring for my 20" and a lighter one for the 16". Never cracked a china and you can crank the felts together to control the sustain nicely.
    You can see them both clearly in this shot from a few years ago.

Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    Mine is mounted just like you would mount any other cymbal ( I guess that's "reverse" for a China). I prefer mounting them the traditional way you mount a China but this is the only way to get it exactly where I want it. I honestly don't hear much difference.
    I found that whacking the lip in this position cut up my sticks too much. Main reason I hit the shoulder instead. I agree; the sound isn't that much different to my ears either.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

I always mount shoulder up---here is my Wuhan 18" on it's spring mount.

User Info Menu

^^^^^
    Love your kit. Is that a MyDentity finish?
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

That kit is a 2006 QR series---poplar shells, 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 22x16, 14x5.5. I had to sell them last year when I was out of work for 16 months, and unfortunately the Wuhan was part of the deal

User Info Menu

This is my studio kit---Groove Percussion poplar shells with Pearl lugs---12x10, 13x11 (5-lug hoops), 16x16, 22x14, 14x6.5, PDP, Pearl, and Gibraltar hardware, and a mix of Zildjian/Sabian cymbals---once again the china is shoulder up, but the shallow bell doesn't seem to need a spring mount!

User Info Menu

I flip the china up and I don't hit the lip. Not a fan of the Aquarian springs on the cymbal tilter. Aquarian claims the springs dissipate the impact on the cymbal.

I'm working with a drummer right now who swore by theses springs but still to this date, he still destroys the edges which leads to cracks.

The Zildjian 19" swish pang shown here has been in the collection for over 30+ years. Not one ding, crack or dent on any part of the edges.

Last edited by late8; 08-11-2016 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I like my aquarian spring, but I haven't used it long enough to notice any ill effects on the china. I will definitely watch for it.

User Info Menu

Jeff Hamilton mounts his china shoulder down. I don't like the shredding of my sticks with shoulder down but Jeff gets his sticks for free, so....
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

I mount mine just like Johnny G does, with a spring as well...not sure if that's shoulder up or down, I call it "edge down" no massive gashes in my sticks...

User Info Menu

I tried mounting my China bell down this time. Shoulder up. It's just impossible to get it to sit flat without having a million felts, but it chokes the sound. Anyone find a way to get it to sit flat?
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

get a DW felt. It has a hard backing to it so you only need one not multiple.

User Info Menu

I basically only use chinas as part of stacks now, but when I use one alone it is always bell-up. Sounds better to me, and it can still move freely without it just flopping around on the stand like it usually does when the bell is down.
    Also, if you prefer not to hit the upturned edge but want the china to be more stable, Dream makes the 'Pang' line that accomplishes this.

User Info Menu

If I remember right, you take cymbal (A) and put it on stand (B).

The formula for mounting a "China" cymbal is as follows:

A(B+~C-C= Bell up. Cymbal sounds like crap.

OR

C+4% of A) (B^~-A@Wingnuts.com) Bell down. Cymbal still sounds like crap.

Solution is as follows: BUY A REAL CYMBAL.

User Info Menu

I have a 18" sabian XSR and i mount it upside down so the lip is going down and you kit its underside. As far as i know this is the rock/metal setup most players have with chinas. But I'm sure there are people who have them right side up. Its all user preference. Also mine is on a typical boom stand tightened the way i like it.

User Info Menu

If I remember right, you take cymbal (A) and put it on stand (B).

The formula for mounting a "China" cymbal is as follows:

A(B+~C-C= Bell up. Cymbal sounds like crap.

OR

C+4% of A) (B^~-A@Wingnuts.com) Bell down. Cymbal still sounds like crap.

Solution is as follows: BUY A REAL CYMBAL.
    LOL

Priceless!!

Hey Rick. Give us your formula for cowbell mounting!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    LOL

Priceless!!

Hey Rick. Give us your formula for cowbell mounting!!!

all the best...

On a cow, kay-gee, on a cow.

The Formula:

1/2" + 1/16" (3+6-7)=Cowbell Cow=Cow

In layman's terms: Take a piece of 1/4" rope, loop through cowbell, tie around Cow's neck, voila, Cow with bell, or Cowbell.

Stephen Hawking worked on that formula for 3 days. He got nuclear fusion, I got how to mount a Cowbell. C'est la vie.

User Info Menu

on a cow, kay-gee, on a cow.

The formula:

1/2" + 1/16" (3+6-7)=cowbell cow=cow

in layman's terms: Take a piece of 1/4" rope, loop through cowbell, tie around cow's neck, voila, cow with bell, or cowbell.

Stephen hawking worked on that formula for 3 days. He got nuclear fusion, i got how to mount a cowbell. C'est la vie.
    lol