Thread: First Drum Set: Percussion Plus

User Info Menu

Default First Drum Set: Percussion Plus

Hi all,

First post here.

Older relative (me) picked up drum set for "younger relative."

Percussion Plus made in Taiwan (which I'd never heard of) with Remo or Evans heads, and a mix of hardware (Slingerland/Tama/Hunoes/CB700) and the guy tuned them.

Pearl Wild500 hi-hats, 16" Sabian B8 crash, 18" CB700 Crash/ride (sticker on it says CB700-5000) and practice pads. All in all, seems to me a decent place to start out?. $295 for all, including an OK throne.

Cymbals I read are entry level, but don't seem to sound too bad to my untrained ear. I can do your basic rock and roll beat, so I tried to audition them for "younger relative" who liked this set the best (guy had a couple of other sets he was selling) in our price range.

So here goes the first question: is there a recommended spacing on the hi-hats?

Second question: I saw a video of a guy playing a CB700 18" (looked similar, but I don't think it has the Made in Italy stamp.) He recommended cleaning it. Advice on that, and what product to use?

Thanks folks.

Looks like I need to have a few more posts before I can post images?

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Drum Set: Percussion Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jinn View Post

So here goes the first question: is there a recommended spacing on the hi-hats?

Second question: I saw a video of a guy playing a CB700 18" (looked similar, but I don't think it has the Made in Italy stamp.) He recommended cleaning it. Advice on that, and what product to use?
    1. No recommended spacing, just what's comfortable for you. There may be times you want it close or far apart for different reasons. Just so when you step on the hi-hat pedal, it will "chic" the cymbals together. There usually is a screw adjustment under the bottom hat cymbal to angle the bottom cymbal for a better "chic" effect.

2. To clean the cymbal, just rub a lemon or lime on it, letting it sit a minute and then wash with mild soap and water. Many people like a product called Bar Keepers friend to clean their cymbals also.

welcome to Drum Chat Blue Jinn.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-18-2016 at 10:23 PM.

User Info Menu

^he pretty much nailed it.

As for the distance I like 1/2" - 3/4" distance.

For cleaning don't waste your time on fancy cleaners for cheaper cymbals.
    Start with soap and water or do the lime trick.
    I use both myself.

User Info Menu

Recommended space? Not really. I tend to keep my hi hats an inch or less apart. Depends on how sensitive your hi hat stand is too.

Cymbal cleaning? I don't even bother, but if you really want to, as said above, soap and water, or the "lemon/lime" trick which is basically cut one in half and rub it all over the cymbal. Removes grime pretty well from what I've seen.

As for posting pics.. we don't actually upload images to drumchat. You need to host them elsewhere (like imgur.com or photobucket.com). You can then either post a direct link to the image, or if you click the little "Image" icon when you are posting here, you can enter the URL and it will put the imagine right in your post.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

My hats are quarter to half inch apart, as far as cleaners go I've seen Coke, lemons, ketchup all seem to work . Stay away from the hard abrasives like Brasso, SOS pads, Tarn X etc.

User Info Menu

Nothing really to add that the others didn't already cover...

Welcome to DC!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I use lemons for cleaning mostly, and i recommend it.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

There's no rules on how to setup your kit it's all about what feels right to you.

When I'm setting up my kit I start with the kick drum, snare and hi hats I adjust the height and placement of those two pieces til I get them both where I want them, then I add in the ride cymbal and make sure it's in a good spot and at the height I want, then the toms and lastly the crash cymbals. Once I have everything placed I'll play around the kit and make any adjustments I need and then I'm ready to go, trying to make adjustments to everything at the same time won't get you anywhere but frustrated!

If you really want to clean your cymbals try using Bar Keeper's Friend liquid cleaner on them. Put the cymbal on a towel or blanket that you don't mind getting ruined, squirt a nice coating of BKF on the cymbal and rub it in with a towel to make sure it's evenly spread across the cymbal, wait a minute or so and rub the BKF off with a clean towel and then rinse the cymbal in the bathtub, towel dry and repeat if necessary.
    BE SURE YOU RINSE THE CYMBAL REALLY WELL!!