Thread: Inverted Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Inverted Cymbals

I'm not talking about just mounting the cymbal upside-down; I mean physically bending the cymbal.
    There's a video (can't link to it due to it being for a retail site) that has Chris Coleman playing a Meinl 12" GenX Filter China that is bent. It sounds much better than the cymbal does played normally, so I tried it with 2 8" Meinl chinas I had lying around. They both sound 10 times better...like very short trashy splashes. They also sound perfect as a stack...it's kind of along the lines of the Zildjian Trashformer but I prefer this sound hands down.
    I want to use these on my set-up, but I'm wondering a few things. Mainly, are they likely to flip back to normal tension during use? I don't hit hard and don't plan on using them constantly, just for some accents here and there (unless I stack them, in which case I'd hit them a lot more).
    Anyone done this kind of thing before?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Inverted Cymbals

bent?

I tried googling it... can't find anything.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you press near the bell and the cymbal flips inside-out, sort of. The edge gets very wavy and bends more upward.

User Info Menu

gotchya... yeah had a cheap cymbal once in my music studio and it kept inverting on its own cause it couldn't handle my power...

User Info Menu

I deliberately inverted a Stagg 14" SH Thin crash by stepping on the bell. I bought it unheard from eBay - it was (ahem) disappointing with overpowering gongy overtones .

Just firm foot pressure on the bell and it inverted rather easily - I was hoping for a trashy fast china sound. I was disappointed the sound didn't improve - it sounded pretty much the same - bloody awful.

If you don't like the cymbal you are considering inverting you have nothing to lose - if you don't like the result you can 'pop it back' by placing it on the floor and firmly pushing both sides of the inverted bow, but if is a quality brand cymbal, rather than a budget model you'd probably be better off selling it and putting the money towards something you like.

I've only tried this with a cheap crash cymbal, but never tried with a cymbal I actually like - I don't see the point.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've tried it on a few cymbals over the years, and have found that most don't improve when inverted. However these 2 8" chinas sound better to my ears. I'm just going to use them inverted as a stack for a while and see what happens.

User Info Menu

Tried it with a few splashes. Gives you a different sound in a stack. Didn't really stick with me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    gotchya... yeah had a cheap cymbal once in my music studio and it kept inverting on its own cause it couldn't handle my power...
    My 10" Wuhan splash is doing the same thing. The outside edges are turning themselves upward....turning itself into a China cymbal.
    Still sounds good, so I keep smacking the tar out of it
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham