Thread: What size kit do you prefer to play?

User Info Menu

Default What size kit do you prefer to play?

I was just sitting here trying to think of something to say. Well it just came to me after I setup my smaller drum kit. What size drum kit do you prefer to play on? Myself I like both 22" bass and 16" bass the smaller kits are just so much fun to play on. Please share.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: What size kit do you prefer to play?

I like 5 or more. However I've been getting ready to sub on a country gig, and decided to go 4 pc. I've practiced the songs this way and think I'll like it. Up until now I've never liked anything less than 5. Mostly at home I use 2up and 2 down 20" kick, Snare, 2 hats, stack, 3 crashes, China, and ride. With my band I use 5 pc. hats, 1 crash, and 1 crash/ride.

User Info Menu

Of the kits I have, my fav has a 24', 13", 16", 18" 1 up 2 down set up.

User Info Menu

Mine 22x18, 16x16,13x11,12x10 and 14x6.5 2 up one down. Vintage Zildjian A's 21 sweet ride,14 new beats hhts, 17 med thin crash and 18 K dark crash.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-21-2016 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Minimalist here. Stick to the beat kinda guy I guess. No elaborate fills or solos so I'm able to get away with basic 4 pc. Learned on this type and stuck with it, although I've dabbled with other arrangements. At the moment, my toms are in the closet and I'm playing only kick and snare with hats and a percussion bar. (tambourine, block, cowbell)

Sizes... 10, 14, 18

all the best...

User Info Menu

My response mimics kaygees pretty close. I play a 4 piece kit. 13/16 toms, 14 inch snare, and 22 inch kick. Hats, ride, and two crashes. Oh and a cowbell. Always a cowbell. My fills are pretty straight forward as well and never play a solo. But our music is also pretty simple and straight forward. It doesn't call for anything elaborate.

Tex

User Info Menu

Two up, one down. 10,12, 16, 22.
    Truly an adventuresome set up. Dangerous in its imposing, threatening look, daring drummers to throw doubles, etc,
    ., onto a drum head most difficult to tune and at an angle difficult to hit. Skip it all with I up, 2 down.

Excuse the rant, I'm coming off a mini stroke and am on all kinds of meds.
    Last edited by slinglander; 08-21-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

1 up 2 down 12, 13, 16, 22. I find that when I go from a big kit to a small 4 piece, it's a lot more fun to play. I make up for having 3 toms by using quite a few cymbals. I love big kits. A 4 piece just doesn't fit my style.

I think bass drums lose their "bass" at 16". At that point it starts to sound like a dead tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I play a 5-pc. kit with uncommon sizes.
    13 - 15 - 18 - 24 - 7X13 snare..............1-up, 2-down.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I'm with Tex and KG. 4pc with 1up/1dn. I use my jungle kit (16,8,13) 95% of the time. Several other drummers have played on it and they always come away with a huge grin on their face. When I have the room, I'll use my PDP in a 12,16,22 set up. Every once in a while I'll use my 6pc Premier kit for fun. I've been thinking of setting up the PDP in a 5pc to try.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I like the old school 12, 13, 16, 22x14, with a 14x6.5 wood shell snare or sometimes I drop the 13, and move the ride over for for a more traditional setup. This is the kit I gave my grandson for his 8th birthday, and I still miss it!

User Info Menu

Outside of my 1st set, I have played 24x14BD, 14x10 up tom's (13x9 up toms on early sets), 16x16 and 18x16 FT's for almost 55 years.

I've added more drums once I knew they weren't going to be moved anymore.

User Info Menu

Though I'm still a newbie at this whole drum thing, I went the stupid big route, 22" bass 2 up (10, 12) and the exceedingly rare 3 down, (14, 16, 18). I'm not sure I've even heard of any big time drummers, outside of Tony Williams, who have routinely played 3 down, though I understand that Steve Smith, in his return to Journey, is playing 3 down, along with a double bass.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

All of my kits start smaller but just become ridiculous... and since 3 of them are 10piece or more... I'd have to say I love a big kit!

User Info Menu

I've pretty much always played large kits. My current kit is the smallest set up I've had in years.

2- 8x7 toms
    10x8
    12x9
    14x12
    16x14
    22x18 kick
    14x6.5 snare
    and a ton of cymbals

Even though I still ave 6 toms I finding now when i play for the most part I'm using just the regular 4 or 5 pieces. Snare , kick , rack tom , Fl tom or 2.

User Info Menu

Started on a 4 piece Kent in 1967, went to a 7 piece Ludwig vistalite in 1973, added a 7 piece Rogers in 1977 and now play a 7 piece Premier.....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Generally I play 2 up, 1 down. Recently I've been removing 1 tom and I've found that I don't miss it.

Initially I bought a 12, 13, 16, 22 shell pack and added a 10" tom and a 14" floor tom. This didn't work for me - I was completely lost on a 7 piece and didn't use the added drums. I can't ever see my owning a monster kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Though I'm still a newbie at this whole drum thing, I went the stupid big route, 22" bass 2 up (10, 12) and the exceedingly rare 3 down, (14, 16, 18). I'm not sure I've even heard of any big time drummers, outside of Tony Williams, who have routinely played 3 down, though I understand that Steve Smith, in his return to Journey, is playing 3 down, along with a double bass.
    I've seen Lenny White play three down with RTF.
    And, surprisingly, they were 16, 18 & 20 !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Generally I play 2 up, 1 down. Recently I've been removing 1 tom and I've found that I don't miss it.

Initially I bought a 12, 13, 16, 22 shell pack and added a 10" tom and a 14" floor tom. This didn't work for me - I was completely lost on a 7 piece and didn't use the added drums. I can't ever see my owning a monster kit.
    Oh, I think one of those monster kits would be kinda fun. As long as someone else owns it, sets it up, and moves it, I'd love to sit down and have a go at them for a while. Say for instance if I visited Spaz or NPYYZ.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 08-23-2016 at 01:43 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm a four piece kind of guy. I have a 1968 Rogers kit and I love the 20" bass, mainly because I'm getting too old to haul around heavier drums. I have a 12 x 9 ride tom and I wish my 16 x 16 floor tom was 14" because I have a hard time finding a tuning interval I like.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

One up, one down, 12,15,24 with two snares. A 14x8 DW BNOB and a 13x3 Ludwig hammered bronze. Small kit, big drums and a side snare.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Gretsch Renown sizes
    Bass: 18 X 14, Rack Tom: 12 X 8, Floor Tom: 14 X 14

Pearl MCX
    Bass: 20 X 16, Rack Tom: 12 X 8, Floor Tom: 14 X 12

Was never a fan of the oversized stuff,but hey ,that what marketing is for.

What's the matter with the drums I'm playing?
    "Can't you tell that your snare's too wide?"
    Maybe I should buy some old Radio Kings?
    "Welcome back to the age of jive.
    Where have you been hidin' out lately, honey?
    You can't play trashy till you spend a lot of money."
    Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
    Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I go 2 up, 1 down currently, 12", 13", 16", 22". I have a 14" that I don't use, mostly due to size restraints.... I'd rather have the space for cymbal stands versus the tom stand. If I ever convert to a rack, I might go 3 up, 1 down. I've been mulling that for a while now, biggest obstacle beyond cost is transporting the rack. (I can put my entire kit in my sedan currently, not sure how I'd transport rack sections.)