Thread: Catalina Club

User Info Menu

Default Catalina Club

After being away from drumming for about a year and a half I知 looking to get back in to playing but want to play a smaller kit. I知 looking at the Gretsch Catalina Club with the 20 inch bass drum in the Gloss Crimson Burst finish. Not planning to be a big time band, just 4 guys with a small PA and amps to play classic rock and classic country at low to moderate volumes. Have any of you used this size kit for this type of playing? It would be a 4 piece kit. Your thoughts are appreciated. Oh yea at 67 years of age I知 also thinking the smaller kit would also be way easier to transport and set up.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Catalina Club

My band has 6-7 guys and plays everything from small (tiny) bars to outdoor shows like beer gardens and street dances. I use my jungle kit (8/13/16) for 99% of it. If I throw a kick mic on it and hang an overhead mic, you can't tell how big or small it is. Best of all is the light weight and compact size. The only time I use a full size kit is if I feel like it. Honestly, I think a 12/14/20 would be the perfect compromise. I looked at a new Catalina Club in white pearl and fell in love with it. I say it's a great kit in a great size.....so DO IT!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I can't speak directly to the Gretsch Catalina's but I'm sure they're darn good drums. As for the sizes and configurations, I say go for it. Smaller sets = shorter set up and break down time, easier transporting, and just plain old easier playing! A couple of mics can augment the volume if playing a larger venue, but as N2 says, most of the time; not needed.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a jazzer friend that plays the Cat-Clubs and he has them sounding good.................I think he is running Ambos.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Nothing against the Catalina Clubs, but they are Mahogany. Great drums, but they may or may not be the sound you're after. PDP offers the Concept series in both Birch and Maple with a 12/14/20 configuration. Birch may cut a little better without mics. They're in the same price range as Catalinas and of the same quality. I'm sure Tama and others do as well. Either way, I think those sizes are excellent for a part time gigging band.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Nothing against the Catalina Clubs, but they are Mahogany. Great drums, but they may or may not be the sound you're after. PDP offers the Concept series in both Birch and Maple with a 12/14/20 configuration. Birch may cut a little better without mics. They're in the same price range as Catalinas and of the same quality. I'm sure Tama and others do as well. Either way, I think those sizes are excellent for a part time gigging band.
    Owned a Birch kit and didn't care for the brightness of the drums tone. Thinking the mahogany will be closer to my maple Renowns.

Thanks for the reply's.

User Info Menu

Post pics when you get it!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I had a catalina jazz club kit. I used it as a rehearsal kit for practice with the band and I used it out on some gigs playing oldies, classic rock. It has a small setup footprint for quick setup. It was fun to play. Depending on the size of the club or venue you are playing and if its a heavish rock song with loud guitaring, you will lose your bass drum sound, it will be overpowered (18" bass drum) by the other instruments. I always used mics on my kits, sometimes I just mic the bass drum and then you will be fine. Its a great kit.

User Info Menu

I emailed Gretsch (dw) this weekend to get information on a delivery time. Now that they are the seller of the drums I wanted to find if they are in stock. Having the drums available direct from Gretsch is something new. Hope to hear back the first of the week.

User Info Menu

This is the kit and finish I'm looking at.
    Last edited by rritter; 08-28-2016 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Sweet.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    This is the kit and finish I'm looking at.
    Looks great!

User Info Menu

I emailed Gretsch (dw) this weekend to get information on a delivery time. Now that they are the seller of the drums I wanted to find if they are in stock. Having the drums available direct from Gretsch is something new. Hope to hear back the first of the week.
    I PM'd you about some drums I have if the Gretsch don't work or you want another option.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Reply from Gretsch. The kit and finish won't be available until Feb. I guess I'm on hold.

User Info Menu

Reply from Gretsch. The kit and finish won't be available until Feb. I guess I'm on hold.
    Worth the wait! Nice drum set there!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I thought I found it....................check your messages.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)