Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transient ischemic attack (TIA)

User Info Menu

Default transient ischemic attack (TIA)

Yep, had one this weekend: a mini stroke caused by a clot.
    Ticks me off! Pretty much had my left hand trained for doubles' matched grip, found I could play some songs open handed, discovered 2 more ways to speed up my singles both right and left hands in trad grip...and bam! The TIA!
    My right arm feels wobbly, weak, my right hand can grip but not a drumsick and my right ankle plays the kick with a weak stroking foot! My left hand gallops along in all strokes, a roll down the toms is too spastic to watch, timing is non existent and I just fell into my drums as I attempted to move my throne.

So now I have to start all over again at 68. I'm not giving up
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: transient ischemic attack (TIA)

Very sad news, i hope all is ok. You have a great attitude and good luck
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

My God, Sling, that's awful. My wife had one at only 35. You're lucky it wasn't worse.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

oh my goodness!

User Info Menu

About 8-9 years ago, I got a call from a good friend of mine's wife. She was panic stricken. Her husband (and my friend) was rushed to the hospital after having a pretty bad stroke.

I shot down to the hospital and when I walked into the room, it didn't look good. His whole left side from head to toe was all but useless. He could wiggle his fingers, but couldn't move his arm. His leg was the same, he could wiggle his toes but couldn't move his leg, at all, and his words were slurred to the point that we could barely understand anything he said.

He told his wife to ask me not to come but maybe once a week because he was embarrassed that he couldn't talk, the catheter, bed pan, and just feeling helpless. So I would only go once a week.

After about 2 months, his wife calls me and says that they are sending him home the next day and would I go with her to get him. I always thought that they would bring someone in that situation in a ambulance and get them set up at home, but I didn't ask any questions.

I know that this is dragging on, but bear with me.

The next morning I pick his wife up and head to the hospital. As we are heading towards the ward, she tells me not to be shocked at what I see, so, of course I'm thinking the worse.

We get to his room and I walk in and stop dead in my tracks. There is my friend getting dressed "on his own", standing up, walking, and giving me a "Yo Rick". I found out that it had actually happened a couple of days ago and he didn't want anyone to know until he was checked out completely.

The doctor walked in and I asked him "What the hell happened" and he just gave me that look like "I don't have a clue, but he's fine".

He was back bowling a week later (we bowled on opposing teams) and, as of the last time I talked to him, he was just fine.

I know that this is of little consolation right now, but maybe a little bit of hope at the same time.

Hang in there Bro, my thoughts are with you.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it. Hang in there. A coworker of mine had the same thing happen. He was off work for a month. When he came back, he still couldn't type or write very well. BUT...a few months later he was back to full speed. It will happen, just may take a while for your brain to re-boot. Keep playing!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that, Slinglander. but you have the right attitude. Don't give up!

User Info Menu

Oh Slinglander, your attitude sure is great! It'll just take your neural network (whatever that is) a bit of time to readjust, after all you are a drummer!
    All the best to you, speedy recovery..

User Info Menu

Man I'm very sorry to hear that Slinglander, I hope all the best for you

Mike

User Info Menu

OMG...scaring me. First I've heard of these.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks, every one, for the encouraging remarks.
    Well, it's back to "therapeutic paradiddles."
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear that. These things are so unexpected. Keep at it and have fun while you're doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wow Slingy! I'm sorry to hear that! Hope you're alright.

Hang in there and I'm sure your muscle memory will come back soon. Whatever you do, don't give up! You're a drummer!!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

So sorry Slinglander. Like everybody else says, you got a great attitude. Just keep working, give it time and keep the faith!

wyodrums Guest

Slinglander - Hang in there and keep working! Prayers for you.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Sounds like you have the right attitude to overcome. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Slinglander...........our thoughts and prayers are with you brother....................keep working!

User Info Menu

Hi man, sorry for your recent TIA. I know things suck right now, but they will get better. I've been a RN for a long time, and if you're going to have a stroke, this would be the one to have. Sounds a bit morbid, I know. Everyone I know, treated, etc. with this condition have made a full recovery. I have no doubt you will too. The most important thing at this point is your spirit. Keep your spirit high, and work on recovering every day. All the best brother.

User Info Menu

So sorry for your situation. Really, I am. Having had to deal with lower extremity paralysis and subsequent weakness and lack of coordination, now becoming worse as I age, for the last 46 years, I know what it's like. I sympathize. I was fortunate that it was only from the chest down that I was affected. My biggest fear in life is what you have dealt with, losing control of body function while the brain remains 100% clear. Absolutely terrifying, to me.

Best of luck...I hope recovery comes quickly and completely for you! Believe me, attitude is EVERYTHING! Keep trying...it's all any of us can do.
    Last edited by cabasner; 09-04-2016 at 10:14 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Keep on Keepin on Slinglander, don't give up

User Info Menu

Just seeing this now, Slingerlander. Man, I am so sorry to hear this news. I really admire your response to this situation. Life is full of setbacks and triumphs too. They are going to happen, that's how it is. It's how we deal with them that is within our control. Sending good vibes your way Slinglander. I hope your recovery is a quick and complete one. As that story Rick sent you reminds us, you just never know how amazing some recoveries can be.

User Info Menu

Damn very sorry to hear, I hope they come ou with an exam or way to spot these kinds of things ahead of time some day. Glad to see your spirits are high and I have no doubt you will be fine. Best of luck bud.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Update!
    Pretty sure I've recovered after my TIA stroke now. At least I think I am.
    Problem areas I listed before are non-existent. I have developed some left shoulder muscle problems that seem to have come from over-doing doubles(which seemed to be much stronger and louder with my left hand trad grip at first) it was like my brain thought my left was the leading hand while my muscle memory said "not." I've had to retrain my right hand to hold the stick a bit higher than the snare's hoop- my index finger would hit the head, if I didn't! For a while I thought the "weaker" right hand would result in more even doubles...uh-no! Did make for different accents with paradiddling.
    At any rate I seem to have caught up with my old, old self.
    Thanks to everybody for the encouragement.
    Last edited by slinglander; 10-25-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added text

User Info Menu

Awesome news. Just proves you can't keep a good drummer down!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Outstanding news Sling! Happy for you.

Tex