Thread: standered micing

User Info Menu

Default standered micing

okay just a very simple overveiw of what the standered micing is on a drumset

is it just a

bass drum mic, snare mic, and overhead for toms and cymbals? and for better quality you get a mic on all toms and cymbals? how does it work.

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on how you see 'standard'...

The most basic you can get, I believe, would be one overhead mic. Professional mic'ing, however, would probably be one mic for each drum, and tow overhead cymbal condensers.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

Shazane Guest

Yeah, toms definitely don't work well with condensors, you'll want to mic them individually or they sound really distant

User Info Menu

whats a overhead cymbal condenser?
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Something like This would be perfect for most live applications.

I personally don't have over head mics yet because I haven't decided which ones to go with. Most places I go downtown, and most bands i've heard lately don't have overheads so its hard for me to decide what I like.

http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3817&dateline=1195493  851

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    whats a overhead cymbal condenser?
    Condenser mics pick up the cymbals, because of the way cymbals work, the tone comes from the resonance rather than the initial hit in most cases so it's advantageous to have the mics away from them to pick that up.

User Info Menu

Dynamic mics work best for drums due to their tolerance of low, fast (transient) sounds.

Small-diaphragm condensers (SDCs) are best for cymbals and acoustic guitar, due to their lightning-fast response and articulation of high frequencies.

Large-diaphragm condensers (LDCs) are used for vocals, pianos, brass, and other instruments.
    Last edited by Herb Utsmelz; 11-30-2007 at 10:31 PM.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Ther eis close miking *one mike to everything with no bleed* There is condenser miking* One or somtimes two condensors picking it up* Or mixed. Where you have close and condenser miking..... Recording. You use both. You use the condensing recording then mix in the close for extra body and definition to the notes. With mastering involved.... naturally.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters