Thread: Picked up a new set of heads today

User Info Menu

Default Picked up a new set of heads today

Got a gig tomorrow night, so I'm looking forward to getting them tuned and to hear how they sound. I got Evans EC2's for the toms and Genera Coated for the snare.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Picked up a new set of heads today

All great heads that is what I use and love them.

User Info Menu

I wont lie I like the EC2's but I struggle with them at the same time.

They are harder for me to get the tone that I like.

Make sure you get them broken in before you show!

User Info Menu

That is funny spaz. Maybe it has something to do with the Die Cast Hoops that I use on all my toms,. I find them easy to tune and keep it that way for a long time .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That is funny spaz. Maybe it has something to do with the Die Cast Hoops that I use on all my toms,. I find them easy to tune and keep it that way for a long time .
    yeah I wish my kit had all die cast. That makes a huge difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I wish my kit had all die cast. That makes a huge difference.
    Spaz, I had no choice as the kit came with Die Cast Hoops on all the toms so I guess it was a bonus cause at the time I was not aware of die cast hoops cause I was from the old school of whatever hoops they had back 40 years ago lol. Yeah I had not had a kit since 1974 and when I retired in 2005 I bought my MCX. Being away from drums that long things changed a lot like top and bottom head never had them back then so I had to learn how to tune with two instead of one. Tricky but I got it.

User Info Menu

Set up and ready for tonight

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Just played our first set and the difference is astounding. My floor Tom still needs some tweaking in regards to tuning, but the sound and tone is 100% better. I freaking love the tone of my snare now.

User Info Menu

The clear EC2's are a great head and a few drummers here don't like them cause you really have to tweet around them to get that sound that you like and some have no patience or time to tweet around. I found them to sound best at 1 turn over finger tight on the batter and1 1/2 turns on the reso. Forgot to mention I use EC reso. Love the sound of my maples with these heads.
    Next time you change heads on your snare try out the EC frosted with reverse dot they are another amazing head for snares so much different tones wherever you on the head and great for rim shots.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-28-2016 at 06:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the frosted EC2 and have been since they first came out . Love them on my Birch set.Enjoy
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I've still got some tuning work to do, but here's a few from last night.

https://youtu.be/I3CzFZHLTyU

https://youtu.be/4fIN61CX8VE

https://youtu.be/Bvag9FYCz8M

User Info Menu

Your drums sound great man. I love the snap in your snare.

User Info Menu

I used an Evans Torque Key and set it to 9 for the snare. I did both heads at that setting trying to find the Chris Layton snare sound. I'm going to work on my toms a littletter more though. I do love the snare sound.

User Info Menu

When I had ec2s, the muffling strips on the bottom of the head chipped off in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yes, I heard about that here on DC but I never had any issues with the flaking off so far. Maybe it was a one time bad batch not sure. We will wait and see if DrumWhipper has any of his heads flaking off.

User Info Menu

I've got a friend with them on his and he's had no problems

User Info Menu

Me too no problems ever. Just some who did have problems never tried to buy another head so they never really gave them a second chance cause they are great head.

User Info Menu

A lot of its just plain luck. I've had bad heads from all makers. Some really awesome ones as well. As with all mass produced stuff, once in a while something isn't just quite right with a head or a stick or a strainer or cymbal etc...

all the best..

User Info Menu

Nice drumming bud, snare and BD sound great, Toms are nice too and I would probably loosen the tuning a wee bit on the them but that is probably just personal preference.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I want a deeper toke for sure on the toms. I'm going to work on them today.