Thread: Dumb paradiddle question

User Info Menu

Default Dumb paradiddle question

OK, so I watched a video of Jerry Allison on YouTube playing Peggy Sue as I heard that's like a song that uses paradiddfles extensively through the whole song I'm told. Well he's just smiling away and seemingly almost effortlessly pounding out these paradiddles like gravy. I'm wondering how? I know I ain't been playing long but I practice a lot and seems like no way I could Ever attain that flawless speed and fluid agility he has. Is there some secret to it that is eluding me?
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dumb paradiddle question

"I'm wondering how? I know I ain't been playing long but I practice a lot and seems like no way I could Ever attain that flawless speed and fluid agility he has."

If you think like that, you never will.

"Is there some secret to it that is eluding me?"

No secret, just practice.

User Info Menu

There's no secret sauce. Commitment, time and practice is how you get there.

User Info Menu

Niko....................

Here is a really good and short rudiment lesson from the great Ian Paice.
    The guy is for real.............check out these flawless exercises.......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaRY40SlUQ
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

The way I learned paradiddles you basically get 3 notes in one stroke. an elongated bounce basically. So you minimize the motions and strokes.

So when I teach to students I focus on each hand individually doing a 3 note bounce.
    Then add the opposite hand filler note into the equation.

Tough to explain in words verse showing....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    The way I learned paradiddles you basically get 3 notes in one stroke. an elongated bounce basically. So you minimize the motions and strokes.

So when I teach to students I focus on each hand individually doing a 3 note bounce.
    Then add the opposite hand filler note into the equation.

Tough to explain in words verse showing....
    Sounds tricky, I will try it. Thanks
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Yep, like gravy.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Niko....................

Here is a really good and short rudiment lesson from the great Ian Paice.
    The guy is for real.............check out these flawless exercises.......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaRY40SlUQ
    Thanks will check it out

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSeven View Post
    I know I ain't been playing long but I practice a lot and seems like no way I could Ever attain that flawless speed and fluid agility he has. Is there some secret to it that is eluding me?
    It's actually easier to play parididdles than straight 16th because you get a millisecond to rest but you have to have the pariddle down. Think of each pattern starting with the next hand. Take them slow and keep at it. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice practice.

User Info Menu

Paradiddles are one of my favorite rudiments. If you want to play them fast and smooth then you must learn them slowly. DONT SPEED UP! Let your muscles learn the movement and then you can go faster after that, but if you start too fast and screw up, then your muscles will learn that speed limitation.
    Also make sure that your not holding the sticks too tightly that they can't make the necessary rebounds in the "diddle" portion of the rudiment.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....