Thread: I want to play in a band

User Info Menu

Default I want to play in a band

First post here so first of all, hey! I'm 26 years old and from the UK.

I've always had a passion for music since I was young but never really had the money to put together to buy an instrument, more specifically drums. I figured I would have nowhere to play them anyway due to noise.

Then I discovered the electric kit so I just recently bought myself a Yamaha DTX. It's only small but does the job!

I can play a simple rock beat so 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 with the bass on 1 + 3 and I can also put an extra bass pedal on the +. Will I be able to play in a band now? I want to travel the world and play festivals.

It is Reading and Leeds festival this weekend in my country, which is a huge rock festival. Some of my favourite drummers such as Eddy Thrower and Dan Flint are playing.

Except they are the same age as I am now and they are amazing so I think it might be too late to chase my dreams.

I can't have lessons right now due to money being so tight.

Thanks all. Rock on!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want to play in a band

No............it's never too late.
    Just keep working.
    NOTHING substitutes for practice...................ever.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

No matter the age you can always find others in the same range and the same playing ability. Just start looking and start rocking!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    No matter the age you can always find others in the same range and the same playing ability. Just start looking and start rocking!!
    This^^

Joker, from where you now are skill wise, to where you want to end up playing is a big hurdle at the moment, so in the meantime SpazApproved has good insight.

User Info Menu

If you need some inspiration, Chris Adler, the drummer from Lamb of God (a hugely popular metal band, a few songs in guitar hero, rock smith, etc), started drumming when he was 21 with no prior experience (he had been a bass player). You don't have to be young to be in a popular band. the guy is 43 now and just wrote an album with Megadeth. So I wouldn't worry about how old you are.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I too hope to play in a band one day. Even just someone to jam with. You're never too old.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My friend from high school survived a camping accident where his sleeping bag caught fire and he couldn't get out. He has no fingers on either hand, but he does have a 1st knuckle in a few places.

He is a professional jazz drummer, released an album with a who's who list of guest artists, and also composes music for the Discovery network. (those short bits when a show comes back from commercial.) He's giving a drum clinic next week that I hope to catch up with him at.

My point here is that if you put the work in, no matter what your obstacles, you can accomplish anything.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

All good advice here, thanks guys.