Thread: Stress and drumming

User Info Menu

Default Stress and drumming

Just wondering do you practice drumming to help relieve stress after a long day at work and does it work? I was stressed out today when I got home from work and just started practicing on my practice pad. It help a lot because I have been practicing out of my stick control book on single and doubles. I started out at 80bpm and am now up to 250bpm. But I have heard that drumming helps with stress. What are your thoughts on this?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stress and drumming

Drumming releases Endorphins. They are peptides that activate the body's opiate receptors, causing an analgesic effect.

Translation: Endorphins relieve stress.

It's really simple!

https://www.google.com/search?q=emdo...8#q=endorphins
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Use it to burn off stress all the time. The music, the emotion take my mind to another place. It's a really good diversion. The mental aspect, to me, is even better than the physical.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Use it to burn off stress all the time. The music, the emotion take my mind to another place. It's a really good diversion. The mental aspect, to me, is even better than the physical.
    Then......you join a band, and get even more stress!

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

when I'm hitting things, I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I really don't get stressed out, but I do have a short fuse. So drumming has probably saved the life of more than a few morons.

User Info Menu

If I'm stressed, I'm not going to practice anything new. I'm going to smash out things I can already play well. If I try to practice things when I'm stressed, my mood just worsens and I end up becoming quite frustrated.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

So!! That explains why I've been drumming a lot less lately.

Living on an island in the tropics...little to no stress!

Prevalent lifestyle here is; everyone moves slow with a... let the cards fall where they may, why do today what you can always do tomorrow kinda attitude

Some times I just want to smash something!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I feel so bad for my drumset cause when I'm in a bad mood I turn on some heavy metal and just beat the crap out of that kit..... I always feel bad for the kit but feel so much better inside!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    If I'm stressed, I'm not going to practice anything new. I'm going to smash out things I can already play well. If I try to practice things when I'm stressed, my mood just worsens and I end up becoming quite frustrated.
    Agreed!

If I'm stressed or in a bad mood, I get behind the practice e-kit, turn up something really loud in the headphones, and fire away, usually adding more fills than I ever would playing it seriously. Just letting it all out.

(Stuff that really needs to be worked on is better accomplished with a clear head and nothing outside bringing distraction or bad feelings.)

And yes, it helps me, a lot

I have noticed many times recently during gigs, if I'm a little stressed about the gig or the band, or even real-world issues, I can feel it in my shoulders, and I tend to keep them "up" more. That leads to poor drumming. When I sense it, I can make myself relax them, lowering them and being far more fluid. One of my little reminders-to-self, I try and stay conscious of that.
    Last edited by worcesterbruce; 09-01-2016 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I usually do my drumming before work. I work 2nd shift. I believe it helps prepare for my evening mentally. I come into work more relaxed and positive. If I dont play before work, I generally feel tense and not into it.

User Info Menu

I'm a total newb, picked up drums at 40 just 4 months ago and I noticed right away the therapeutic effect. Same could probably be said about most instruments, but drums involve the whole body and I am convinced the blood flow to all extremities helps. Some people just go to the gym or jogging etc. Fancy that...

Of course my family doesn't appreciate when I go hide downstairs and make the house shake, but I know they would appreciate much less me barking at everybody!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

I use my set for therapy sometimes but not like when I was younger.. Now mainly for exercise, I tell myself and my cardiologist this is doing cardio. He just laughs at me.