Thread: Cymbal cleaning issues

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal cleaning issues

After every method of cleaning my cymbals, I always find that a sort of orange tint develops on them. I used bar keepers friend and you can really see where the cymbals were wiped. It looks like the cymbal was wet and dried with water spots. My cymbals are darker then they were before I cleaned them. Anyone Know why this might be happening? It's not just stick marks or fingerprints.

I would sprinkle the cleaner on with water and use a sponge to rub it in with the "grain" of the cymbal. Then rinse with warm water and dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal cleaning issues

I like to use Bar Keepers..................cymbals need to be rinsed very well while using a completely different rag or soft brush to make certain all of the powder is gone.

I have actually taken a cymbal into the shower with me and scrubbed both sides with the grooves as you describe..............then make sure I rinse completely and dry with a towel.

They look brand new !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I used Barkeepers Friend on mine as well. I like it a lot. I did just recently notice, however, that when I did my 17" AAX crash, I must not have rinsed it enough, as it had a hazy, streaky look to it. So I tried another cleaning method that I've heard about but never tried. Ketchup. I squirted a single line of ketchup around the circumference of the cymbal, and rubbed it in with a paper towel. I then rinsed it off VERY WELL. It actually looked pretty good! So I think the trick to avoid any residual film is to RINSE WELL!!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to clean all of my cymbals tomorrow again.

-Mike

User Info Menu

You have to rinse them well....AND DRY THEM WELL!

I cleaned mine outside on a chilly winter Arizona morning once and put them back in there case while they weren't completely dry. What a mess. It looked like I'd wiped my cymbals with bleach and they were partially tie-dyed and had all these swirly smears like you described for that gig that night.

Re-cleaned them the next day and let them COMPLETELY dry inside the next day and they were fine.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

The reason ketchup sort of works is because of vinegar. Vinegar is an acid. Why not just do it with pure vinegar without the tomato paste and high glucose corn syrup and sugar. Washes off clean with no weird discolorations.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Just finished cleaning my cymbals. I took them in my garage this time and used the garden hose. Rinsed them and dried them real good. We'll see if those marks show up.

-Mike

User Info Menu

After cleaning and drying, try applying a layer of Carnauba wax. You can find it in liquid form in the car wash section of your local auto parts store. The bar keepers friend removes the factory applied protective clear coat which prevents the cymbal from discoloring ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    After cleaning and drying, try applying a layer of Carnauba wax. You can find it in liquid form in the car wash section of your local auto parts store. The bar keepers friend removes the factory applied protective clear coat which prevents the cymbal from discoloring ...
    Thanks for that. I was thinking about using a coat of turtle wax or something.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Thanks for that. I was thinking about using a coat of turtle wax or something.
    If you decide to go the carnauba wax route, then make sure that it has 100% pure and natural ingredients. This is what I use with excellent results. I've read that if it's not 100% pure, there is a risk that it can damage your cymbals.

User Info Menu

You have to rinse the cymbal really well after polishing it to make sure you didn't leave any residue on the cymbal, I've noticed streaks and inconsistencies in the finish when I don't rinse the cymbal well enough.
    I use the liquid version of Bar Keeper's Friend and after I'm done cleaning the cymbal with it I rinse it really well in the bathtub and dry it with a clean towel, once it's completely dry I hit the cymbal one time with some Groove Juice to give it a nice shine.